Re: Idiot reasons for returning electronics

:
:
: ** Hi to all,
:
: Inspired by the post from "Griff"  -   who can come up
with the silliest
: reason for returning electronics goods or components they
know ?
:
: Some that I recall from my days working in parts shops
are:
:
:
: 1. A gentleman who returned a new 100VA Ferguson mains
transformer ( from a
: Playmaster 140 stereo amp kit) saying it must be faulty as
the primary
: resistance was only 19 ohms. By his reasoning, it would
therefore pull 12
: amps and blow the AC fuse.
:
: 2.  Guitar players who tried to return valves like 6L6GCs
or 6CA7s saying
: there was a faint blue glow on the glass and they must be
gassy.
:
: 3.  TV techs trying to return TV horizontal output
transistors since their
: ( small signal) transistor tester read zero on beta test.
:
: 4. A young lady who returned a 5 inch reel of 1/4 inch
tape saying it would
: only record on one side ......
:
:
: Any others?
:
:
:
: ......  Phil
:
:
Phil you left out the best one I ever heard!  What about
that idiot that bought some second hand Quad ESL63s without
listening to them first and then decided that he would
return them because the parts inside looked a bit rusty!

Oops!  Sorry, I forgot, you were the idiot right?

Bwaaaahahahahahaha........................

TT (wiping tears of laughter from eyes)

Re: Idiot reasons for returning electronics

I had a guy return a built-up kit to me (unsolicited) and demanded
that I fix it "under warranty".
He claimed that he had checked every component twice and all the
soldering and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, so therefore
it must be a faulty component. He also said he refused to follow the
troubleshooting instructions and measure supply voltages because this
would further damage the unit.

The fault - the main 7805 voltage reg installed backwards.

Dave.

Re: Idiot reasons for returning electronics

"David L. Jones"
 "Phil Allison"

 * A regular job I had when working for Pre Pak in the early 70s was
repairing all the CDI ignition kits they sold.

Yep -  nearly all of them came back for fault finding and de-bugging.

The single most common problem was that the constructors ( ie tattooed
petrol heads ) had used plumber's  (acid) flux to help solder the parts onto
the PCB  !!!!!!!!!!

Eventually, the owner of Pre Pak ( Ian Ralph) decided to  " bite the bullet
"  and supply a yard or so of resin cored solder with each kit  -
accompanied by a note explaining what it was for.

He at least had the optimism ( more than mine) to assume his kit buyers were
literate.

......   Phil

Re: Idiot reasons for returning electronics

    Someone once told me about an EA kit which was returned to DSE's Kit
Dept because it didn't work. It might have been a Playmaster amp. I
don't remember what its problem was.
     Anyway, apparently the kit notes said to insulate the mains wiring
with spaghetti ... and the constructor had taken it literally and
threaded the wiring through pasta tubes (uncooked). :-)

Bob

Re: Idiot reasons for returning electronics

I can verify that one. A friend of mine was there when this happened. I think it
became one of the service department 'trophies' at DSE.

Acid-core flux and plumber's soldering irons were also very regular as Phil
mentioned.

Re: Idiot reasons for returning electronics

In the UK a few years back there was a documentary on the rise of the home
computer age, an amusing anecdote from the Sinclair company which sold some
of its computers as home build kits. Some bloke returned an assembled unit
for fault finding as it didn't work, the Sinclair engineer opened it up and
found it very neatly and precisely assembled - with Airfix glue!

Re: Idiot reasons for returning electronics
It amazes me what these dsickheads expect to be covered by warranty, and
their rude approach to staff. I've had staff abused several times over
computer problems, and each time it's been the ID10T error.

Bruce

Re: Idiot reasons for returning electronics

That sounds about right,  corse, [sic]  it  wasn't the buyers fault, he just
believed everything  he was told,
And the nasty man at  Campsie Hi-Fi, new when he was on a winner,  when ''
Phil the Fool '' walked in.

                     bassett

Re: Idiot reasons for returning electronics

A colleague ever had a client that want to exchange the floppy drive in his
(bosses) computer as the drive did not work. The colleague found the drive
in perfect order so he asked the client for an explanation. "It does not
read anything and the door will not open anymore" the client complained.  It
turned out to be that he managed to push a 3.5" floppy into the CDROM
player. I could hardly believe it until I checked out for myself but it was
there black on white: The complaint, the diagnosis and the bill.

petrus bitbyter

Re: Idiot reasons for returning electronics

Makes a change from "the computer works fine - but I broke the cup holder!".

Re: Idiot reasons for returning electronics

A variation of the toast-in-the-VHS story !

geoff

Re: Idiot reasons for returning electronics
On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 13:58:29 +1100, "Phil Allison"

A patron threw it across the room (20kgs) so that must be a warrantee
repair.

Pulled the cables out of the wall, i wonder if the sparky was to blame
for that....

Re: Idiot reasons for returning electronics

Not quite the same Phil, but I am sure many older TV techs will remember
the many customers who tried to fix their own TV and bought and fitted a
new 1S2 because it was the only valve in their set that didn't light up.

David

Re: Idiot reasons for returning electronics
On Mar 13, 11:07 am, David <posti...@REMOVE-TO-REPLYconfidential-

Pity they didn't tap the 1S2 with their finger while the set was on to
see if it would light up. They would receive the shock of their life
that it works ok without a visible heater glow.

:-)  Glenn

Re: Idiot reasons for returning electronics

    I was working on an Italian gentleman's valve TV once, with the
power on.
    He was very curious about what was inside it, and asked "Whatsa
this?" as he pointed at the 1S2.
    Before I could say "Don't touch that!", he grabbed it and sure jumped!

Bob

Site Timeline