Re: How could the camera on missiles and smart bombs keep its focus?

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 06:00:18 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine put finger to keyboard and composed:

In sci.physics, Sea Squid > > wrote >on Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:05:42 +0800 >: >> I was watching the documenrary Century of Warfare. It has some >> segments of how the video shot when missiles and bombs are closing >> on the target. I guess the missile will fly to the target at 334m/s so the >> camera must have a extremely fast zooming and autofocus trick. Can >> anybody here provide me with some information? >> > >If the camera operator can tell a building from a rock, that's >probably all the focus one needs. Hitting the right building >is a plus -- as shown in Bosnia. :-) > >Besides, the missile is moving quite fast. Does the operator >have time to pull out a lightmeter and estimate f-stop? :-)

If the operator is a pigeon, maybe ...

Biological guidance and delivery techniques were under development during WW2:

I had to laugh at this quote:

"Skinner also learned that pigeons were seemingly fearless when feeding on hemp seed."

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

the

Stoner pigeons? I wondered what Bert on Sesame Street was always feeding "his little friends"?

Reply to
Steven