Re: Goodbye HDMI?

Wow, they've already got the top of the range "gold plated" version Cat5
eternet cable for the "Audiophile enthusiasts" @  US$499.00 for 1.5 meter.

"will bring out all the nuances in digital audio reproduction"
www.usa.denon.com/productdetails/3429.asp

www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/hdmi-dead-hdbaset

Re: Goodbye HDMI?

Cat5 using RJ-45?

Great when someone accidentally, and very easily cross plugs them in a
jungle of Ethernet and Audio cables.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Goodbye HDMI?

I don't remeber the specifics but anything more than elv on cat5e aint
legal anyway
yes ?
so allthe proposals wont meet the law on the subject

--

Re: Goodbye HDMI?

 But you shouldn't see anything other than ELV on any of those anyway.
The only risk I can think of, is the RJ45 phone standard, which on ring,
can go up to 90vac or so?  That would be pushing "ELV", better hope pins
4 & 5 aren't being used by anything...

Re: Goodbye HDMI?

 Ahh, just read the article like I should have in the first place.  100W
power also supplied.  In that case, things *can* get messy.

Re: Goodbye HDMI?

Yes 100w
  well over the copper rating on cat5e as I read it , sure as shite
would warm quickly

--

Re: Goodbye HDMI?

And some interesting sparks if one should pull the plug under power.

I suppose that it has to be taken seriously, there are some heavy
hitters involved.

Re: Goodbye HDMI?

I can't see it happening here any time soon no matter who tries
  it's simply unsafe AND illegal

Re: Goodbye HDMI?

Apparently ELV goes upto 120VDC.

At 840mA using all the pairs common mode is only 210mA on each contact.

120V is only a little more than the peaks in the telephone ring signal.

I'm hoping they fit the sockets with switches so that depressing the
clip cuts the current, else yeah could be sparky.

Re: Goodbye HDMI?

elv is specified under the telecomms guides as not exceeding 50vdc
and a proportuatly amount less of ac m the ring is also accomodated as a
pulse service
  a pair of rg contacs burnat 100 wats a pair if withdrawn while energised
  try it
  still aint legal

Re: Goodbye HDMI?

pushing 100W through a RJ45 that's living on the edge!
perhaps it's 4X +48V and 4x -48V at 0.5A each?

USB over IP is avalable now (for linux atleast)

video over IP is nothing new either,

persumably the power is common-mode so it won't fry existing circuitry

Re: Goodbye HDMI?

How is digital audio anything but finite?

Re: Goodbye HDMI?

Lol, there a product for every idiot out there.

Re: Goodbye HDMI?

Dr Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF"
<""Trollene.has.had.more.kook.outs.than.ive.had.hot.dinners\"@kangarooistan.com.au

You have already bought my bridge...