Re: Floods & Perishable whitegoods

TV reports showed flood victims ditching their fridge's and washing machi=

nes.

Will these items get destroyed in a flood? > > =A0I would have thought a hose down and drying it off for a few days woul=

d have recovered them back to a useful state.

> (Unless , of course if the machine was running at the time & the water ca=

me in and zapped any electronics?)

> They would have to do the same for house electricity meters too (dry them=

out) and remove all the power points & dry them out as well.

> Looks like a lot of work for sparkies.

Saw a chest freezer today that had been in a flooded area, the plastic inner cover of the lid had broken away at 2 sides, and in where the insulation was, was caked with mud which stank like shit. I would have my doubts as to whether you could ever get this muck and smell out of the walls of the fridge if this watery mud / shit got into the insulation.

The heat from the compressor would probably do a great job of raising this stink again well into the future. Ever tried to get the stink of dead mouse off a compressor if it died on it ?

Most furniture was a write off - anything of MDF or similar would have been shovelled out.

IN one place, where the entire lower floor had filled with water, the

2 roller doors had been split down the middle, like they were tinfoil, presumably from the water pressure, probably rose very quickly.

When we got home the shit smell was even through our clothes, just from the air. Didn't touch anything

Reply to
kreed