Re: Ersa soldering station from Farnell

"Trevor Wilson"

> **Because I have no familiarity with the particular model sold by Farnell. > Well, I didn't. I do now. It is quite a nice iron, albeit with some > issues. Here's what I like: > > * It has REAL grunt.
** Very nice.

* It seems to offer very high accuracy of tip temperature.

** Nice.

* It heats reasonably quickly.

** Told ya the 290 watt thing was a phurphy.

* It has a good range of microprocessor controlled features.

** Like powering down when you forget it.
* It looks kinda nice.
** Never hurts.

Here's what I don't like:

> > * The iron cord is not heat proof. (Surprising, considering very cheap > irons now have such cords).
** Cripes - maybe it can be upgraded ?

* The tips are quite large and difficult to squeeze into tight spots.

** Huh - its only 8 mm dia.

What is the issue compared to say a Weller or Hakko ??

All in all, a worthwhile addition to the workshop.
** Is that feint praise ?

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

**Maybe. It'd require some surgery though.
**After using the 0.4mm tip, I find the size thing not much of an issue. I can imagine that in a tight spot it could be a problem.
**Nope. I've used it for the following over the last few days:
  • Desoldering and re-soldering DIP ICs.
  • Desoldering and re-soldering various passives and various styles of transistors.
  • Removing and replacing SMD ICs.
  • Removing and replacing copper shielding around front end assemblies.

It has performed all the above functions perfectly. It is a MUCH better iron than the Microns, Wellers and others I have used previously. I've used a Hakko and I feel it is probably a little better than that too. Still, my only long term experience with Hakkos is with my Hakko desoldering station (which is presently buggered).

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au