Re: Electrolytic capacitors

"Terry Given"

Hi Bob, > > what frequency do you test ESR at? >
** Enter " bob parker esr meter " into google.

Catch up on what the rest of us have known for a decade.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks Phil,

its quite nice, but only measures LF ESR..... unless the whole shebang is done in less than 100us (which it aint).

I used to use a variant of that technique, which also allows me to measure ESL, over a much shorter timespan (< 100ns). It uses a pulse generator, a scope and 2 10R resistors - I pinched it from Howard Johnsons book "high speed digital design", which is a fabulous book BTW.

But about 6 months ago I bought an HP3577 network analyser, so now I just measure the complex impedance from 5Hz to 200MHz :)

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Hi Phil, Thanks for answering their questions and explaining what the meter was designed for. After 10 years of being asked the same questions over and over, it gets kinda tiring. Thanks for always supporting it too... much appreciated.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

"Bob Parker"

** No problem.

It is often easier and more effective for an outsider to explain/defend a design than the one person who is inherently in the "hot seat" !

BTW

How is that US TV show of yours going ??

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

See

for all the info on my daytime job!!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

"Bob Parker" "Phil Allison"

** ROTFL !!

Had no idea you were the "matinee idol" type !!

Reply to
Phil Allison