Re: Electrical Power in Australia and NZ

Yes it's 240 VAC, 50 Hz nominal. The variance is generally specified to be
+/- 10 VAC so in reality the nominal voltage, depending where you are and
what sort of loads are on the local supply grid, will be anywhere between
230 and 250 VAC.

If your laptop has a power supply that works with both supply types, all you
need is the right mains cord with an Australian 3-pin plug to connect your
laptop to an Australian GPO (general purpose outlet).

I believe the voltage in NZ is the same as here, but the plug is different.
Might be wrong.

Craig.
--
Craig Dewick - HO-Scale Railway Modeller and Professional Train Manager at
http://lios.apana.org.au/~craigd or snipped-for-privacy@lios.apana.org.au if you're game!

<snip>

Plug is the same in NZ and Aus.

Re: Electrical Power in Australia and NZ

Thanks very much.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Re: Electrical Power in Australia and NZ

Yes, thanks, I know. As I said, I have an adapter.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Re: Electrical Power in Australia and NZ
On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:50:31 +0000 (UTC), C. Dewick

No, in NZ the plug is the same as used in Australia, and, to be
pedantic, the voltage is 230V +/-6% 50Hz.

--
Regards
Malcolm

indeed. although +/- 6% is laughable when at the end of a long dangly
wire. back in my videogame days in the 80s we used 2kVA 10% or 15% boost
autotransformers to drive the arcade games in places like murupara,
where I have measured line voltages as low as 180Vrms

Cheers
Terry

Re: Electrical Power in Australia and NZ

Ah, but the regulations actually say

53 (1) (b) Except for momentary fluctuations, must be kept within 6%
of that voltage.

They don't define 'momentary', but it is well known that in Murupara
time is measured on a different (slower) scale. So therefore
'momentary' also has a meaning that covers the situation you
experienced    :-)

--
Regards
Malcolm

LOL :)

(and momentary in that case was a few years)

Cheers
Terry

Re: Electrical Power in Australia and NZ
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:34:23 +1200, Malcolm Moore

whereas in Aus it is 240V +/- 6% 50Hz

Re: Electrical Power in Australia and NZ

To be really pedantic, Aus has harmonised it's voltage with the
Europeans and your supply is now specified as 230V +10%-6%, the same
as the UK. The practical effect at present is zilch and your nominal
supply remains 240V, but the lower limit of acceptable is now 216V.
See

<http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_1988

 and for how one supply authority handles it, see page eight of
<www.countryenergy.com.au/internet/cewebpub.nsf/AttachmentsByTitle/cek8026.pdf/$FILE/cek8026.pdf>

By contrast, NZ has always been 230V.

--
Regards
Malcolm
Re: Electrical Power in Australia and NZ
On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:50:31 +0000 (UTC), C. Dewick

Thanks very much. Anyone know for sure about NZ?

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Site Timeline