Re: Does the BF falcon have LED tail-lights??

Did the replacing of the interior light solve the original problem ??

>Can you now leave the door ajar for a week and still start the car ??

Probably not a week since there are other parasitic loads besides the lamps, but the current drain is definintely MUCH less into the boot light which was the thing that originally triggered the whole 'project' off.

I have on a couple of occasions left the door ajar and drained down the >main battery, and the immobiliser is set, and it flattens the alarm >batteries, and the charger wont bring it back up, and, and..., and..., >and there is lots of swearing, and I have only got access to 1 vehicle.

In reality there's a lot more to it because the battery self-discharges somewhat over time anyway so that compounds anything else that's going on, and depending on the condition of the starter motor, solenoid, etc. even with a good battery, on a really cold day when the chemistry in the battery is 'slowed down' due to the drop in temp it can still take a fair bit to crank over an engine enough to get it to fire and run.

The other thing about colder weather and is that the starter solenoid can take a bit more magnetic field strength before it'll engage the power feed to the main starter windings.

It'd be different for every case, but the overall benefits of going with LED lamps far outweigh any downside as far as my experience is concerned, but they're not a panacea for overcoming other issues with a car's electrical system.

I run with LED lights in the front and rear clusters on both of my registered Saab's. The only lights not LED-based are the H4 headlamp bulbs, but technology will improve to make replacements for those possible in time.

Craig.

--
Craig\'s Saab C900 Page at      | Craig\'s Classic Saab Workshop - Sydney .au
http://lios.apana.org.au/~c900 | http://www.classicsaab.net and other URL\'s

Thanks. I already have HID headlamps as OE although the highbeam is QH and is not much chop. It would be easy to outdrive it.

I was contemplating changing just the interior lights to give me a bit more margin for when I have another senior moment and walk away leaving a door only partly shut. There will still be the drain of the radio, the clock, and the computer system but it might give me more time to find out I had f*cked up. The last time someone had to come out, pick me up and take me into town to get a new battery. I hate having to call on people to help me out.

Cam

Reply to
Bugalugs

Think about how much current a single small festoon lamp will use, and work out how much energy that is... It's not a high current (roughly an amp, perhaps a bit less) for something like a standard size of 12 volt 'festoon' style filament lamp, and if that's on all the time it will drain the battery overnight.

Few, if any, cars actually fully-disconnect the battery when the car is turned off and locked up since at least some of the electronics has to be working for the central-locking remote function to work, and any other devices that need power all the time (alarm, etc.).

Craig.