Re: Does the BF falcon have LED tail-lights??

Probably not a week since there are other parasitic loads besides the lamps,
but the current drain is definintely MUCH less into the boot light which was
the thing that originally triggered the whole 'project' off.

In reality there's a lot more to it because the battery self-discharges
somewhat over time anyway so that compounds anything else that's going on,
and depending on the condition of the starter motor, solenoid, etc. even
with a good battery, on a really cold day when the chemistry in the battery
is 'slowed down' due to the drop in temp it can still take a fair bit to
crank over an engine enough to get it to fire and run.

The other thing about colder weather and is that the starter solenoid can
take a bit more magnetic field strength before it'll engage the power feed
to the main starter windings.

It'd be different for every case, but the overall benefits of going with LED
lamps far outweigh any downside as far as my experience is concerned, but
they're not a panacea for overcoming other issues with a car's electrical
system.

I run with LED lights in the front and rear clusters on both of my
registered Saab's. The only lights not LED-based are the H4 headlamp bulbs,
but technology will improve to make replacements for those possible in time.

Craig.
--
Craig's Saab C900 Page at      | Craig's Classic Saab Workshop - Sydney .au
http://lios.apana.org.au/~c900 | http://www.classicsaab.net and other URL's

Thanks. I already have HID headlamps as OE although the highbeam is QH
and is not much chop. It would be easy to outdrive it.

I was contemplating changing just the interior lights to give me a bit
more margin for when I have another senior moment and walk away leaving
a door only partly shut. There will still be the drain of the radio, the
clock, and the computer system but it might give me more time to find
out I had f*cked up. The last time someone had to come out, pick me up
and take me into town to get a new battery. I hate having to call on
people to help me out.

Cam

Re: Does the BF falcon have LED tail-lights??

Think about how much current a single small festoon lamp will use, and work
out how much energy that is... It's not a high current (roughly an amp,
perhaps a bit less) for something like a standard size of 12 volt 'festoon'
style filament lamp, and if that's on all the time it will drain the battery
overnight.

Few, if any, cars actually fully-disconnect the battery when the car is
turned off and locked up since at least some of the electronics has to be
working for the central-locking remote function to work, and any other
devices that need power all the time (alarm, etc.).

Craig.