Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

And why replace it with Something worse?

> If you've seen the difference for yourself, then I'd be surprised if you >> wouldn't cough up the money for a SD set top box. > > Be surprised. I've seen the difference. I still see no point forking out > money for something that I don't need to fork out money for. I have good > FTA reception and Foxtel. > >> My point is that the technology is vastly superior and when people become >> aware of the improvement they'll take it up. > > For many people there is no improvement. I live 30km from the main local > FTA Tx site and I see no point to Digital at this time. The main benefit I > see is widescreen but for that to be effective I need at least an 82cm > widescreen TV to replace my 68cm 4:3 TV and that's a bit more than just an

For me Digital offers Inferior performance to Analogue TV. I am probably a bit less than 30KM from the Transmitters and receive good clean Picture quality on analogue however the STB (I am now on my Second STB the first had a noticeable delay between Audio and Picture in addition to the other problems) often pixelates, freezes and causes loud short squeals.

I do not own a HD TV nor can I justify the cost at the moment so I do not actually get any benefit from Digital TV unless I was prepared to spend more money.

I am not really sure why I bothered with the STB -except a Friend lent them to me long term (ie they were/are free) and I generally find watching analogue TV a lot less of a nuisance (due to the issues listed above) so I tend to watch Analogue and probably will until the ignorant sods turn it off.

I am starting to get the feeling that where the 80's and 90's may have been about getting Technology to improve performance - ie CD players etc that the push nowadays is for Consumers to accept lower quality goods ie Digital TV, Typical 'Home theater Systems' MP3 Players and Mobile phones.

Reply to
Richard Freeman

"Richard Freeman"

** Get a DSE $135 STB for 7 day approval trial.

If your analogue pic is really OK all the time - then so will the pic from this STB.

** A STB's pic quality looks very ordinary if the RF out is used to feed an old TV. Your 20 year old bomb with no AV inputs is a joke.

( I know Mr Freeman and his TV. )

A STB's pic quality look even worse like if the composite output is connected to a VCR video input so the modulator feeds an old TV - so the STB's signal can be recorded.

** Cos they are both crook STBs - some early ones were.
** First class results are there to be had - but not with a bomb TV and dud boxes.

Reply to
Phil Allison