Re: CFLs and rental properties.

that sounds like overkill and would be kind of hard to retrofit.

Re: CFLs and rental properties.

If you have a neutral at the switch plate, a single pole changeover will
do - simply switch the lamp feed from live to neutral

In the serious bodge category, if there's no neutral switch the feed to
earth (I wonder how many lamps it would take to trip a ELCB?).

Re: CFLs and rental properties.

I'd suggest the wiring has been incorrectly done in the first place and
needs to be fixed. A big part of the wiring regulations now states that
if you have knowledge of bad wiring you have a legal obligation to get
it fixed or disconnected. You can't "turn a blind eye" so to speak. In
industry this is known as "duty of care".

This is the sort of action that kills people. An electrician doing this
would probably end up in gaol on a manslaughter charge.

Not sure what you mean here but domestic ELCBs trip at 30mA.

Re: CFLs and rental properties.

"Davo the Dickhead "

**  I suggest you find out something about electricity before posting utter
crap like this.

Starting with how a neon bulb operates.

Work your way up to stray capacitance and leakage current as you feel able.

However, the complexities of a CFL are forever beyond a moron like you  -
so give up on them.

**  Irrelevant CRAP.

 Davo the Dickhead  is a just another pathetic "big noter" with a grab bag
half baked facts.

**  Wot a load of bollocks.

All electricians know to treat installed neutral and live wires with the
same respect and care.

The public are never meant to touch either of them.

.....    Phil

Re: CFLs and rental properties.

Last time I checked it was perfectly legal to run the live(red)+neutral(black)
+earth(green+yellow) from the fusebox to the light fixture and then run a
branch from there to the switch with a 2 conductor cable with just live(red)
and switched live(white)

As has been observed the capacitance between live and switched makes this setup
less than ideal for use with CFLs.

I doubt a cfl would conduct significant current if wired between earth
and neutral, it does seem like a bodge though.

would putting a Class X2 capacitor in parallel with the lamp be
better?

Site Timeline