Re: CFL Burns Home Down

** Well you have now.

It is one of the common causes of house fires, since the plastic cases of most TVs and PC monitors are highly flammable PLUS give off toxic fumes when burnt.

Hence the dead toddler in the first story.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Sorry, did you dig up these stories from the 70s when high dissipation tubes were in use ?

I have personally NEVER heard of such a fire. Were these sets *properly* CE certified ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

"Eeysore" Phil Allison wrote

** Read the damn dates on the stories

- you congenital, monumental bloody ASS !!

July, 2008 October, 2005 August, 2008 !!!!

It's a FLAMMABLE PLASTIC FIRE !!

Only takes ONE HOT RESISTOR to initiate !!!

For god's sake man - get real.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Terry Given"

** ESL = Eye Sight Limited ??

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Hmmmm, a Chinese product with no testing and a falsely applied CE mark perhaps ? Sadly I KNOW that this does sometimes happen. You've seen examples of similar yourself like the non-isolating isolating transformer.

Unscrupulous people can abuse the self-declaration aspect of CE.

The only way I can see to fix this would be to have guys monitoring imports on a random basis.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Ok, reading the report, the fire was described as 'small'. That might meet IEC regs conceivably as long as it was self-extinguishing.

What killed the child was *smoke* and I know of no regulations anywhere covering that for electrical appliances.

Time for a review ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I find this a tricky one to form a strong opinion on. Early adopters of CFL like myself KNEW you couldn't dim them.

Now they're being sold alongside the frozen foods in supermarkets, sometimes for less than an incandescent, you're reaching a different 'audience'.

I'd have though a prominent "not suitable for dimmers" on the pack ought to fix it except for the totally insane.

Besides that, they shouldn't catch fire anyway if conforming to IEC standards. That why I buy Philips and Osram CFLs mostly.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

English as Second Language... I think is what he meant

Mik

Reply to
Mik DaDik

A similar one is EFL (English as a foreign language - a BIG growth area).

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

"Eeysore" Phil Allison wrote

** You are 100% WRONG yet again - d*****ad.

There is simply NO prohibition on the use of flammable plastic cases for TV sets and the like.

TV set fires and consequent house fire have been happening since the first plastic case sets come on the market.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** But then you ARE totally insane.

Cos those words are merely usage advice - not a safety warning at all !!

No printed warning could ever be adequate to cover the risk of house fire and toxic fumes that goes with CFLs that are not dimmer safe.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Eeysore"

** There are THREE reports - you ASS !!

the fire was described as 'small'. That might meet IEC regs conceivably as long as it was

** But it was not and the toxic fumes killed a child - despite the mother being home at the time and acting promptly.

The other 2 reports are of EXTENSIVE fire damage to homes caused by a TV set fire.

** It was toxic smoke too - you ASS.

That is what most plastics generate when they burn !!!

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

BSEN 60065 does in fact establish maximum temps for all case and internal materials I can think of with the specific intention of fire prevention along with user burns.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

So how would you do it ?

Fire and smoke risk come from non-adherence to standards.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore