Re: CFL Burns Home Down - Page 2

Re: CFL Burns Home Down
 "Eeysore"
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/2008/07/17/faulty-tv-set-led-to-fatal-coventry-fire-92746-21356939 /
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/insurance/household-insurance/article.html?in_article_id40%4453&in_page_id34 %

** There are THREE reports -  you ASS !!

 the fire was described as 'small'. That might meet IEC regs conceivably as
long as it was

** But it was not and the toxic fumes killed a child -  despite the mother
being home at the time and acting promptly.

The other 2 reports are of  EXTENSIVE  fire damage to homes caused by a TV
set fire.

** It was toxic smoke too  - you ASS.

That is what most plastics generate when they burn  !!!

.....    Phil

Re: CFL Burns Home Down

Point taken Franc  but it hasn't burned out in over 7 years so far.
The bulb could be replaced with a resistor but the bulb was more
easily installed.

Re: CFL Burns Home Down

Did he have truly no idea CFLs aren't (usually) dimmable ?

Graham

Re: CFL Burns Home Down
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 23:35:24 +0100, Eeyore
composed:

You can be intelligent *and* ignorant at the same time. A lot of
people don't understand the problem. It requires a public education
campaign by the same authorities that mandated CFLs, or at least a
*prominent* warning on the box, or on the lamp itself. And even if
there was a warning on the box, how many people would expect to have
to read instructions on how to use a planet-saving light bulb?

In any case I believe CFLs should be able to tolerate misuse, even if
they fail gracefully as a consequence.

A final thought. I wonder how CFLs cope with brown outs? That's
something that is out of our control.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: CFL Burns Home Down

Tell me about it !         ;~)

You mean people don't like reading anything they think they can get away
with not reading.

They could. At more expense.

No problem here but then we don't exactly get brown outs often.

I pretty much agreee. But who ever reads the instructions anyway ?

A public awareness campaign is IMHO the only way to deal with this.

Graham

Re: CFL Burns Home Down

That's because it was designed to modern safety standards.

Just how stupid are you ?

It's written on the box if it's suitable for use with dimmers or not. Some
are but they cost more.

Graham

Re: CFL Burns Home Down

"Eeysore"

**  Not as stupid as you are  -  pal.

** Sometimes there is some tiny print saying  " not suitable for dimmers"  -
or sometimes a weird symbol is used.

Mostly there is no advice about timer switches, movement detector switches
or the like - which can be just as bad.

However -  there never any WARNING of there being a  FIRE  hazard  !!!

Plus, once the  CFL lamp is separated from the packaging, most have no usage
advice at all.

There is a legal issue here, not simply a technical one.

.....   Phil

Re: CFL Burns Home Down

In truth I don't really disagree with you.

What you are saying is that nitwits should be able to use them without thinking
twice in any fitting. That would be ideal.. It may take a few years more though.
In the meantime can't they read the damn instructions ?

Graham

Re: CFL Burns Home Down

"Terry Given"

** ESL   =  Eye Sight Limited   ??

.....   Phil

Re: CFL Burns Home Down

English as Second Language... I think is what he meant

Mik

Re: CFL Burns Home Down

A similar one is EFL (English as a foreign language - a BIG growth area).

Graham

Re: CFL Burns Home Down

I find this a tricky one to form a strong opinion on. Early adopters of CFL like
myself KNEW you couldn't dim them.

Now they're being sold alongside the frozen foods in supermarkets, sometimes for
less
than an incandescent, you're reaching a different 'audience'.

I'd have though a prominent "not suitable for dimmers" on the pack ought to fix
it
except for the totally insane.

Besides that, they shouldn't catch fire anyway if conforming to IEC standards.
That
why I buy Philips and Osram CFLs mostly.

Graham

Re: CFL Burns Home Down

"Eeyore">

** But then you ARE totally insane.

Cos those words are merely usage advice  -  not a safety warning at all !!

No printed warning could ever be adequate to cover the risk of house fire
and toxic fumes that goes with CFLs that are not dimmer safe.

.....   Phil

Re: CFL Burns Home Down

So how would you do it ?

Fire and smoke risk come from non-adherence to standards.

Graham

Site Timeline