RE Bigpond news server - Page 3

Re: RE Bigpond news server

I didn't miss OTC because; OTC weren't part of the P.M.G. Engineering
Division. They featured separately in the Gazette.

--
Take Care.     ~~
Feral Al    ( @..@)

OTC trainee technicians used the DCA school for the first couple of
years [due the basic electronics being taught], then they switched to
dedicated OTC curriculum for the final 2 or 3 years..

Jason

Re: RE Bigpond news server

Us older bastards still have good memory eh! ;-)

--
Take Care.     ~~
Feral Al    ( @..@)

Yep,..it's recent recall that starts to go,.with age apparently :-(

Jason

Re: RE Bigpond news server

LIFO

--
Take Care.     ~~
Feral Al    ( @..@)
Re: RE Bigpond news server

Yep,..it's recent recall that starts to go,.with age apparently :-(

Are you sure? I think I read an article on it yesterday

Re: RE Bigpond news server

:-)

--
Take Care.     ~~
Feral Al    ( @..@)

Read what I wrote again, after Telecom Australia and OTC were merged, *long*
after PMG was split.

Trevor.

Re: RE Bigpond news server

And they were still known as Telecom Australia - NOT AOTC - geddit? :-)

"The Australian and Overseas Telecommunications Corporation was
established in 1992 after a merger took place between the Overseas
Telecommunications Commission and the Australian Telecommunications
Corporation. The Corporation continued to be known as Telecom Australia.
In 1993 the Corporation changed its name, becoming the Telstra
Corporation Limited."

--
Take Care.     ~~
Feral Al    ( @..@)

I think that is wrong, Trevor, but I'm not sure. My recollection:- OTC
and Telecom Australia were never merged. OTC was merged with Aussat to
form AOTC, and AOTC was privatised to become Optus.

Re: RE Bigpond news server

I thought Aussat was taken over by Telecom before the OTC merger. It may
have been the same time.

I don't think there was any connection there?

Trevor.

Re: RE Bigpond news server

Rubbish.

Given that there was *no* competition in the PMG's day whatsoever, how
do you qualify such a ridiculous statement?

Noddy.

Re: RE Bigpond news server
Also there were no mobiles or internet and a lot fewer landlines so its
possible service was better but there is no real comparison to now.
In the 50's my parents had the only phone in our immediate area so not
many phones to go wrong.

Daryl

Re: RE Bigpond news server

In 1983 PMG [or wot ever they were called then] took 5 weeks to
install a home-phone. They dug a trench diagonally across my front
yard. Failed to fill it properly, so I got bogged in my own frontyard
with the 1800 :-)

Jason

Re: RE Bigpond news server

1. Telecom Australia (corporation).

2. That would be the Line Division (gorilla force), not the Technical
Division that put in the tank trap. :-) Serves you right for buying
pommie rubbish anyway. :-P

--
Take Care.     ~~
Feral Al    ( @..@)

That was the height of their "good service". Whenever a new housing
estate was opened up they wouldn't waste money running in new phone
cables as a matter of course. They'd wait until the houses were built
and people moved in and applied for a connection so they could come out
and rip the shit out of all the brand new roads and footpaths.

Oh yeah. Great service :)

Noddy.

Re: RE Bigpond news server
 From memory we ordered our land line before the house was finished so
didn't have to wait long after we moved in, that was Dec 1978 and we
still have the same phone number.

Daryl

Re: RE Bigpond news server

install a home-phone. They dug a trench diagonally across my front
yard. Failed to fill it properly, so I got bogged in my own frontyard

An when we had ours installed back then they did a great job, even put down
top soil and planted new lawn seed after they filled in the trench!
As always depends on the people.

Trevor.

Re: RE Bigpond news server

Maybe you had an MP live in your suburb.

Noddy.

Re: RE Bigpond news server

And they were *subscribers*, not *customers* and everything got fixed
promptly and free. By me. :-)

--
Take Care.     ~~
Feral Al    ( @..@)