RE Bigpond news server

Unthinkable not to think it possible IMO. Sure was with Optus!

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

Well it's a long time since I could afford Telstra, but the service once was far better than anything I've ever had from Optus or Vodaphone :-(

That's what John Howard gave us :-( Now we get to spend more taxpayer money to upgrade the network than it was sold for. Lost the $5B every year they were getting in revenue *after* network upgrade costs. Seen a triplication of networks at great expense, a loss of a hundred thousand jobs in Telstra and support industries, and the customer service has gotten worse. Unfortunately the government can't "fix" it now, even with an NBN.

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

Maybe not, but it was far better once than it is now.

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

Right, how did I forget all the name changes. Here's one you missed though, Australian and Overseas Telecommunications Commission, when they originally merged with OTC. Most people don't remember it, didn't last long under that name.

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

I didn't miss OTC because; OTC weren't part of the P.M.G. Engineering Division. They featured separately in the Gazette.

--
Take Care.     ~~
Feral Al    ( @..@)

Not today.

Thank Paul Keating. It was his deficit that Forced Howard to sell half of Telstra in the first place.

Regards,
Noddy.
Reply to
Noddy

Rubbish.

Given that there was *no* competition in the PMG's day whatsoever, how do you qualify such a ridiculous statement?

Regards,
Noddy.
Reply to
Noddy

Also there were no mobiles or internet and a lot fewer landlines so its possible service was better but there is no real comparison to now. In the 50's my parents had the only phone in our immediate area so not many phones to go wrong.

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford

ugh,

ally

that

OTC trainee technicians used the DCA school for the first couple of years [due the basic electronics being taught], then they switched to dedicated OTC curriculum for the final 2 or 3 years..

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I use eternal september but it does not list some of the things that telstra did.

Reply to
F Murtz

In 1983 PMG [or wot ever they were called then] took 5 weeks to install a home-phone. They dug a trench diagonally across my front yard. Failed to fill it properly, so I got bogged in my own frontyard with the 1800 :-)

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

You really are a fckwitt , we all know JH's response was to solve the massive debt Keating created , another labor fskup

--

Reply to
atec77

..

h,

ly

at

I think that is wrong, Trevor, but I'm not sure. My recollection:- OTC and Telecom Australia were never merged. OTC was merged with Aussat to form AOTC, and AOTC was privatised to become Optus.

Reply to
Wolfgang Wildeblood

Maybee they are doing it to see how many complaints are generated before switching it off.

Reply to
F Murtz

I'm happy with my pre paid $49 phone because I only use it for occasional calls, The coverage for my volunteer work is a clear benefit

Reply to
Dechucka

That's a possibility

--

Reply to
atec77

I was dishing it out, Bighead, know-nothing. :-)

--
Take Care.     ~~
Feral Al    ( @..@)

And they were *subscribers*, not *customers* and everything got fixed promptly and free. By me. :-)

--
Take Care.     ~~
Feral Al    ( @..@)

Us older bastards still have good memory eh! ;-)

--
Take Care.     ~~
Feral Al    ( @..@)

  1. Telecom Australia (corporation).

  1. That would be the Line Division (gorilla force), not the Technical Division that put in the tank trap. :-) Serves you right for buying pommie rubbish anyway. :-P

--
Take Care.     ~~
Feral Al    ( @..@)