RE Bigpond news server - Page 2

Re: RE Bigpond news server

ping won't tell you much. a server can be up an not respond to pings.

run a traceroute, on port 119 if possible.

when I do it I get as far as
bundle-ether1.win18.melbourne.telstra.net (203.50.6.114)
and then appear to hit a firewall, but I'm not on a telstra network so
that's no surprise.

--
?? 100% natural

Re: RE Bigpond news server
with access to NG.

Suggestion of existence may be a slight exaggeration :-)

--
Don McKenzie

$30 for an Olinuxino Linux PC:
Re: RE Bigpond news server

This is just flat out wrong. Most servers will drop IGMP packets (PING
requests) its means nothing. And before you say it, trace route uses
IGMP and will also drop the packets despite recording the first few hops.

The only way to know if the server is alive is to telnet. Open command
prompt and type, "telnet news.bigpond.com 119" no quotes.

If the screen goes blank the server is listening to port 119 (news
default port). If you are on windows 7 you might see telnet is not a
recognised program/batch blah blah. In Control Panel,  Programs and
Features, Turn Windows Features on or off. Select Telnet Client, ensure
it is ticked.

This will only work for Telstra customers as all traffic originating
outside of their network, aimed at the server, will automatically be
rejected.

Re: RE Bigpond news server
It says could not open connection to the host on port 119
Presumably this means it is not working but would it not also mean that
it exists but not working as I assumed when I pinged it

Re: RE Bigpond news server

Yeah unfortunately it doesn't tell you much. It confirms that you cannot
connect to it on the most basic level which saves any mucking around
with different newsreaders ect, this is now pointless.

Have you tried, telnet news-server.bigpond.net.au 119 ????

It seems that since my last post news.bigpond.com is now invalid.
However news-server.bigpond.net.au still resolves. Previously they both
pointed to the same IP.

Re: RE Bigpond news server
Just tried that again, could not open, connect failed

I have a case number with telstra over this issue but in the beginning I
was not sure whose fault it was then also on one occasion telstra logged
into my computer and fiddled after which the usenet worked but that was
a while ago for the last three weeks or more It has not but now I am
convinced it is their server. Their tech team sent me an email a week or
two ago in great detail explaining how to connect, so at least those
techs think it is working. I am not the only one who got the email.
You would think that anyone with even a vestage of nouse would check
their own server when they get a rash of emails that people can not connect
I am still waiting for an answer from my case manager, at which time I
will tell them that it is their problem I no longer think my end has
anything to do with it, either fix it or tell their subscribers that
they no longer provide the service.

Re: RE Bigpond news server
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

As you are successfully posting here with some news
server, why are you trying so hard with Big Pond?

Even if they resumed their service, I would not bother.

--
David Barnett

Re: RE Bigpond news server
Because eternal does not have binaries and telstra carries groups that
others dont.and  I pay 80 or 90 dollars a month for a bundle for slowed
down broadband and a phone with all calls timed and use usenet more than
anything else. Usenet would be a deal breaker IF I had a choice which
provider to use which I don't.

Re: RE Bigpond news server
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Fair enough.

--
David Barnett

Re: RE Bigpond news server

actually ICMP

I use tcptraceroute when I want to know what's going on with traffic
pointed at a particular service, it uses TCP packets.

that won't tell you if it's alive if it's unreachable, due to some
sort of routing error or firewall.  tcptraceroute will tell you where
your packets are reaching, this information is potentially useful to
the people who need to fix the mess.

--
?? 100% natural

Re: RE Bigpond news server
I pinged it and it tried 4 times then said timed out, I then telnetted
it and it said could not open connection to the host on port 119

Does this mean the  bigpond news server server exists but not working,
just need ammo when the case worker finally gets back to me.

Re: RE Bigpond news server
It probably means the mx records reflect what previously existed but
being down the server wont respond in spite of the mx claiming otherwise

basically fecked

--

Re: RE Bigpond news server
On 4/05/2013 7:29 PM, atec77 wrote:
[SNIP]

An MX record has nothing to do with a news server name being correct.
MX records are for *mail* handling.

It's just an A record, that's all.

Which doesn't change the basic point that telstra collectively have less
than no clue.

    Cheers,
        Gary    B-)

--
When men talk to their friends, they insult each other.
They don't  really mean it.

I've had a bigpond account for a couple of years now and until very
recently their new server was working fine. It's not now, and hasn't
been for about a week, so if it's working okay they've either changed
the settings that I've been using for the last couple of years or it's
simply not working.

Knowing Telstra as the thoroughly incompetent organisation that I do, my
money's firmly on the latter.

Noddy.

Re: RE Bigpond news server

Exactly. They retrenched all the staff who actually had a clue, now they are
nearly as bad as Optus and Vodaphone! :-(

Trevor.

Re: RE Bigpond news server

not quite as Vodophone whose coverage is useless. Used to take my wife up to
2 days to receive SMSs

Re: RE Bigpond news server

True, Telstra still have the best coverage, at a price. Unfortunately their
service no longer matches the premium price.

Trevor.

Re: RE Bigpond news server

Was there a time when it did?

Noddy.

Re: RE Bigpond news server

Not Telstra - not even Telecom Australia - definitely P.M.G.

--
Take Care.     ~~
Feral Al    ( @..@)

Right, how did I forget all the name changes. Here's one you missed though,
Australian and Overseas Telecommunications Commission, when they originally
merged with OTC. Most people don't remember it, didn't last long under that
name.

Trevor.

Site Timeline