RE Bigpond news server

I have just recieved an email from bigpond giving detailed instructions
on how to connect to bigpond ng so it appears that the stories on its
demise are exagerated. I would post the email but it has an instruction
not to repost.
I still can not recieve it but that is probably a problem between
seamonkey, my modem and bigpond server,I think it needs my password but
I can not figure a way to make it ask for it.

Re: RE Bigpond news server

Hmmmmm, sounds like a real asset :-)

Re: RE Bigpond news server
If you can't ping the server then it doesn't actually exist ?

--

Re: RE Bigpond news server
It was a detailed email in response to my email to tech dept about
problems with access to NG.
The answer suggests it still exists.

Re: RE Bigpond news server

Or, that their tech support are unaware it has been removed. Not
unthinkable.

Re: RE Bigpond news server
In article <6708a1ea-e628-47fb-8cb1-b0e29e931904
@zo5g2000pbb.googlegroups.com>,
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

That is my thought on it.

--
David Barnett

Re: RE Bigpond news server

Unthinkable not to think it possible IMO. Sure was with Optus!

Trevor.

Re: RE Bigpond news server

I'd be more than a little surprised if the "tech" actually knew what you
were talking about.

Noddy.

Re: RE Bigpond news server
Maybee they are doing it to see how many complaints are generated before
switching it off.

Re: RE Bigpond news server
That's a possibility

--

Re: RE Bigpond news server

Why would they care?

Noddy.

Re: RE Bigpond news server

Right, once the decision is made they'd switch it off regardless.

Trevor.

Re: RE Bigpond news server
a trace to news-server.bigpond.net.au
  fails to respond or return a ping from here

--

Re: RE Bigpond news server

pinged from here and got

ping statistics for 61.9.134.55:
      packets: sent = 4, received = 0, lost = 4 (100% loss)

--
Prayer, [noun] - the act or practice of telling God that his infallible plan
sucks and that you demand changes ASAP

Re: RE Bigpond news server
  no I thought not
but does it trace or work ?
  of course not as you are getting an mx response as the machine still
exists
  Now does it work for anyone ?

--

Re: RE Bigpond news server

Yes, I use It as a fall back server if eternal-september goes down. The
OP hasn't configured his newsreader correctly. As I use a proper
newsreader, I would suggest he RTFM and return to the source of his
problem.

Note: news.bigpond.com has always been unreliable as a primary newsserver
with outages frequently lasting for several days.

--
A man using Apple Maps walks in to a bar, or maybe a hotel, or maybe a
church...

Re: RE Bigpond news server
The source of the problem seems to be, no one can access bigpond news
server any more,If I ping from here it times out.
Others say the same thing
Users everywhere are saying that telstra is stopping the service.
I have been trying for weeks and left an email to bigpond on the subject
and they sent me a detailed email on how to access it.

This sugests to me that the bigpond team seems to think that it is still
working

Here is the email

Thank you for your email dated 17/04/2013 regarding not being to access
BigPond Newsgroup.

Firstly, I realise that there has been a delay in responding to your
enquiry and I would like to extend my apologies.

To isolate the cause of the issue please consider the following process.

1. Check connectivity to the Internet. Double-Click on Internet Explorer
and attempt to display webpages.

    - If webpages open very slowly or not at all, it is not just a
Newsgroup fault, but the whole connection.
    - If webpages open at normal speed, continue below.

2.  Check server settings. Ensure that you are using the correct BigPond
News server settings in their News profile:

        - For Broadband, server host name can be "news.bigpond.com" or
"news-server.bigpond.net.au".
        - For Dial-Up, server host name is "news.bigpond.com:"

To check News Server Settings for Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Live Mail:

    - Open the News profile.

        - For Outlook Express:

            - Double Click Outlook Express Icon to open mail/news program.
            - Click the Tools menu and select Accounts from menu.
            - Click the News tab to see available news profiles.
            - Click the BigPond news profile and select Properties to check news
settings.

        - For Windows Mail (Windows Vista):

            - Open Windows Mail from the Start menu.
            - Click the Tools menu bar and select Accounts from menu.
            - A list of available profiles will appear.
            - Click the BigPond news profile and select Properties to check news
settings.

        - For Windows Live Mail:

            - Open Windows Live Mail from the Start menu.
            - Select Newsgroups from the Navigation pane.
            - Right click on the News profile (likely to be labelled as
news.bigpond.com) and select Properties.

The News properties area contains four tabs in both Outlook Express and
Windows Mail:

    - General.
    - Server.
    - Connection.
    - Advanced.

    - General tab: The general tab contains personal information, including
name, organisation, email address and reply to address fields:

        - News Account : news.bigpond.com.
        - Name: contains the name you wish to appear on posts to newsgroups.
        - Email Address: your email address*.
        - Reply Address: optional.
        - Include this account: unchecked.

        *Note: When anyone posts a message to a newsgroup, they are revealing
their email address to a public forum. Spammers have developed automated
scripts (bots) to search these public forums and collect email addresses
from postings to compile spam lists. It is advisable that users modify
their email address in News group settings e.g. snipped-for-privacy@nospambigpond.com.

    - Server tab: The server tab, as the name suggests, contains the news
server name plus an option to configure login details for access to the
news server if necessary.

        - Server name: news.bigpond.com.
        - This server requires me to logon: Leave unchecked. The BigPond news
server does not require a username and password to access it.

    - Connection tab: Allows you to select the preference for the type of
connection to be used when sending or receiving news group postings.

        - Always connect to this account using: Unticked for all broadband
connections or dialup connections where the user will always connect
first before checking newsgroups
        - The box should be set to a BigPond dialup connection if the user is
using Dialup and requires an automatic connection when Outlook
Express/Windows Mail is launched. If the box is blank, you will need to
click the box to reveal any available connections and set to a BigPond
Dialup connection.

    - Advanced tab: The advanced tab shows the news server port number and
some format settings for posting messages. The default settings should
not need to be changed.

        - Server port number: 119 (do not change this number).
        - This server requires a secure connection: unchecked.
        - Server timeouts: can be extended for dial up users  to allow more
time to connect to the news server.
        - Break apart messages larger than: unchecked.
        - Ignore news sending format and post using: unchecked.

If the settings are correct but the same issue is occurring, remove and
re-create the BigPond news profile.

To Create/ Re-create a News Profile in Outlook Express:

    - Launch Outlook Express.
    - Click on the Tools menu, then on Accounts
    - Click on the News tab at the top of the window
           - If there are any existing BigPond entries:
           - Click on the Account to highlight it.
            - Click on Remove.
           - Click Yes when asked to confirm.
           Note: If another service provider account is listed do not remove it.
    - Click the Add button.
    - Select News.
    - Type the name that will appear when posting to a newsgroup.
    -  Select Next.
    -  Enter Email Address (ie   snipped-for-privacy@bigpond.net.au or
snipped-for-privacy@bigpond.com).
    -  Select Next.
    - Type the server name: news.bigpond.com.
       Note: Ensure My news server requires me to log on is not ticked.
    - Click Next.
    - Click Finish.
    - Click Close to return to the  Outlook Express main screen.
    - You will then be prompted to  download a list of available
newsgroups. this may take several  minutes on a slow connection.

To Create/ Re-create a News Profile in Windows Mail:

    - Open Windows Mail if it is not already open.
    - Click Tools and then Accounts.
    - Click Add.
    - Select Newsgroup Account. Click Next.
    - Type the name that will appear when posting to a newsgroup and click
snipped-for-privacy@bigpond.com)and click Next.
    - Type the server name: news.bigpond.com.
    Note: Ensure My news server requires me to log on is .not ticked.
    - Click Next.
    - Click Finish.
    - Click Close to return to the Windows Mail main screen.
    - You will then be prompted to download a list of available newsgroups.
this may take several minutes on a slow connection.

The Newsgroups can now be accessed by clicking on the news.bigpond.com
entry that will appear in the folders column on the left.

If the newsgroup/s you wish to see is/are not available, please reply to
this email with the name/s of the Newsgroup/s to be added to the list
available on the BigPond news server(news.bigpond.com).

4. Check for Firewalls and Antivirus software. Disable it for testing
purposes please ensure you re-enable the software afterwards. If re
enabling the security software stops the connection from working again,
please contact BigPond Premium Support at 1300 087 587 or your
firewall/security software vendor.

Check Newsgroups once more. If the same issue is occurring please
provide the following details for further investigation:

        - Error message.
        - Name/s of the Newsgroup/s to be added to the list available on the
BigPond news server (news.bigpond.com).
        - Preferred contact number.
        - Please indicate the date and time when you cannot access it.

If you have any other questions, please visit our Help Centre at
www.bigpond.com/help.

The Help Centre is a handy resource for our members which includes
things such as our Frequently Asked Questions and our new Email
Troubleshooter which has been set up to help you solve all your email
problems.

Thank you for choosing BigPond.

Kind regards,

Re: RE Bigpond news server

How would anyone *outside* Telstra know that, when Telstra *themselves*
can't give you an answer about it?

Given my experience with Tesltra over the last couple of years, I would
imagine that if their news server *was* getting the chop the "bigpond
team" would probably be the last to know :)

Honestly I don't know why you're getting so hung up about this as their
server was pretty unreliable even when it *was* working. Just subscribe
to Eternal-September or any of the other reliable news feeds and spend
less of your life worrying.

Noddy.

Re: RE Bigpond news server
I use eternal september but it does not list some of the things that
telstra did.

Re: RE Bigpond news server

It doesn't do Binaries if I remember correctly, so if you're looking for
those you'll have to subscribe to a news server that does. Either that
or change your ISP, but given that Usenet is close to dead these days
anyway I would doubt if any of them would carry a feed within 12 months.

Noddy.

Site Timeline