Re: Australian Dollar just walked through 1.07AUD to the USD exchange rate.

> I would imagine it would be a nightmare trying to manufacture in > Australia, import components, and then sell locally and globally, at > this massively forever changing exchange rate. Where is it going next? > > Cheers Don... >

For us, as exporters it is simple. The jobs leave the shores, never to return as they are simply too hi-tech to easily bring back. We keep putting more on in our Asian plant and retrenching locals.

Reply to
Geoff

What have you personally done about that? Ever started your own business? Or have you always expected to be an employee, leaving the hard yards of starting thing to others? (Like most Australians...) If you want jobs here, you have to start businesses that are globally competitive, there's no sense in whinging that others haven't done it for you.

That's the beef I have with the "Buy Australian" campaign. All very well and good, but where is our "Sell Australian" campaign? Our dollar will only climb as high as the value we offer to the world.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Clifford Heath wrote

What someone like you does is completely irrelevant.

Our currency relativity is entirely determined by the mining boom and what the stupid yanks do about their deficits etc.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Bullshit. What everyone in Australia does is relevant.

In my personal case, well over a hundred million dollars has come into this country, mostly into the pockets of more than one thousand employees of the startups whose technology I've created. You think that, as a small sample of what most individuals in Australia are capable of, makes no difference?

'cos if you do, you really are an idiot.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Yes he really is an idiot of the first magnitude the grand poohbah of idiots

--
Reply to
atec77

Clifford Heath wrote

you.

Fact.

Utterly mindless silly stuff. That aint what drives the currency conversion rate with the USD.

country, mostly into the pockets of more

Easy to claim. Have fun actually substantiating that claim.

capable of, makes no difference?

Nope, that it aint the reason the $A is at an historic high.

Wota stunning line in rational argument you have there, child.

Reply to
Rod Speed

country, mostly into the pockets of more

I have a list of names, phone numbers, and stack of financial reports here that says otherwise. Bet you wouldn't actually check though. I invented the technology of Australia's first .com.au domain holder, while I was working at HP. When HP ditched it in 1990, we bought it and the resulting company was profitable every year for the following ten. That tech was used by Tandem to build the NASDAQ trading system, for example. But it's not about me. It's about what all ordinary Aussies can do, if they get out of their servile ruts.

capable of, makes no difference?

It's not the main reason - the main reason is that the US$ has slumped, and will continue to, until they start producing value equivalent to what they consume. But it is still *a* reason. We also must produce more than we consume/waste if we are to remain well-off. That means mining, but it means a lot of other things too, and you know it.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

rate with the USD.

Actually, it is very close, but individual people are probably a small part of the total force. Basically, people with $US see they can get higher interest investing in Australia than they can at home in the USA, plud Australia currently has a very stable currency compared to the rest of the world, so it is a no brainer that they send there money here for the higher interest. Loaning it out for say an Aussie home loan at $200K-400K is nothing to the billions loaned out to buy large capital investment like mine vehicles and development.

Reply to
terryc

This is where I call bullshit.

  1. you need the skill/knowledge
  2. you need the opportunity
  3. you must have the money.
  4. you ned to survive the competition.

Sad that all we can produce is to ship off the basic bits of our country.really we are nothing better than a third world country growing coca beans, tea, etc.

Reply to
terryc

terryc wrote

Pigs arse it is.

The real reason for that historic high is the demise of the USD, nothing to do with what everyone in this country does.

'the total force' is irrelevant to the conversion rate.

Australia than they can at home in the USA,

the world, so it is a no brainer that they

That aint the reason for the historic high either and that higher interest rate has been true for years now, we have only just recently seen the currency conversion rate peak. Have fun explaining that.

billions loaned out to buy large capital

That aint borrowed in australian dollars.

Reply to
Rod Speed

terryc wrote

ruts.

Thats a pig ignorant lie.

tea, etc.

And that is in spades. There might just be a reason we didnt even get a recession with the GFC.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Reply to
Murray Daniels

  1. and you must get off your arse and have a go.
Reply to
Clocky

Exports to China remained strong, and that means our dirt.

Reply to
Clocky

.

It is more of a case of "it would be much more expensive otherwise" Admittedly local price gouging plays a part in it. Yesterday saw petrol at $154.9

Reply to
kreed

Gouging is correct , pump price in the middle east atm is under 4c a litre I hear

--
Reply to
atec77

Because the price is going up faster than the $A

Reply to
Rod Speed

.

and the price of silver is going up even faster

Reply to
kreed

kreed wrote

I dont care, I never use any of that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Price is based on price in Singapore. FYI, it is going up in the USA as well.

Reply to
terryc