Re: Asus EEE-PC, was Chinese engineering

 As is mine. I got my grubby hands on one (a grey taiwanese import)
for $600 the day before Myer started selling them for $500. The
Taiwanese keyboard is fine, has everything in the same places as
US-English.

 The only trap for young players insofar as getting winders on it is
that you need to change an "OS" setting in BIOS to "setup" else
winders won't find the USB CD in the second stage install. Otherwise,
they're an absolutely bloody marvelous bit of kit, and you'd be mad
not to own at least one!

 My experience is consistent with Don's. Everything I threw at it,
it did, without question. I have quite a bit more free space left on
the 4Gb model than he has on the 8Gb though (even after installing
WindersXP, OfficeXP, Firefox, Foxit Reader, anti virus and PDF
Creator (all the things that the punters in my office will expect).
A streamlined and stripped-down winders install is your friend.

 Even with the Taiwan version, the accompanying DVD includes all
English manuals and English drivers and is very thorough.

 The machine is so well thought out that it even has RAM in a
very standard DDR2 SO DIMM under a panel on the bottom. The first
thing I did was pop out the 512Mb piece and replace it with 2Gb
(which the machine accepted happily).

 It's a brilliant little computer. Buy some!

GB, I have two more on order!
--
 "Most police misconduct occurs when citizens challenge an individual
  officer's authority" (Reiss, 1971 c.in Jermier & Berkes 1979)

Re: Asus EEE-PC

:-)

My wife thinks I am trying to corner the market.
I got two, sold one, and bought another two. But then, I wanted to
upgrade to the 8G models.

I also needed dial-up, and they weren't supported, so I grabbed a couple
of very small $62 Swann USB modems, works a treat.

Will also run two screens, and in extended mode if you wish, the
original LCD screen, and any CRT/LCD external off the VGA connector on
the side.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Affiliate Program:   http://www.dontronics.com/affiliate
Re: Asus EEE-PC

Thanks for the info Don.

It sounds like a wonderful little machine. Just one further query: How
long did you have to wait for delivery ?

Thanks

Dave

Re: Asus EEE-PC

EMS from Taiwan