Re: Asus EEE-PC, was Chinese engineering

> To change the subject but slightly ...

>> Have you received that Asus notebook tht you wrote about earlier ? >> If so, how do you like it ? > Fantastic is my estimate.

As is mine. I got my grubby hands on one (a grey taiwanese import) for $600 the day before Myer started selling them for $500. The Taiwanese keyboard is fine, has everything in the same places as US-English.

The only trap for young players insofar as getting winders on it is that you need to change an "OS" setting in BIOS to "setup" else winders won't find the USB CD in the second stage install. Otherwise, they're an absolutely bloody marvelous bit of kit, and you'd be mad not to own at least one!

My experience is consistent with Don's. Everything I threw at it, it did, without question. I have quite a bit more free space left on the 4Gb model than he has on the 8Gb though (even after installing WindersXP, OfficeXP, Firefox, Foxit Reader, anti virus and PDF Creator (all the things that the punters in my office will expect). A streamlined and stripped-down winders install is your friend.

Even with the Taiwan version, the accompanying DVD includes all English manuals and English drivers and is very thorough.

The machine is so well thought out that it even has RAM in a very standard DDR2 SO DIMM under a panel on the bottom. The first thing I did was pop out the 512Mb piece and replace it with 2Gb (which the machine accepted happily).

It's a brilliant little computer. Buy some!

GB, I have two more on order!

--
 "Most police misconduct occurs when citizens challenge an individual
  officer's authority" (Reiss, 1971 c.in Jermier & Berkes 1979)

:-)

My wife thinks I am trying to corner the market. I got two, sold one, and bought another two. But then, I wanted to upgrade to the 8G models.

I also needed dial-up, and they weren't supported, so I grabbed a couple of very small $62 Swann USB modems, works a treat.

Will also run two screens, and in extended mode if you wish, the original LCD screen, and any CRT/LCD external off the VGA connector on the side.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Affiliate Program:   http://www.dontronics.com/affiliate
Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.wizard-of-oz.com

Parallax Propeller Powered .96" OLED module
http://tinyurl.com/2vr2gr
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Thanks for the info Don.

It sounds like a wonderful little machine. Just one further query: How long did you have to wait for delivery ?

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave Goldfinch