Re: Ann: New FPGA beginner's Video guide

Thanks Dave!
The response has improved alot. Also the feedback has been great and the
videos are helping alot of guys get started with FPGAs.

Yes, that's right, I don't manufacture FPGA boards any more. There are still
many hundreds of the BurchED boards in use though, and I still keep in touch
with the "BurchED FPGA board fans" and provide support.

For people needing a new FPGA board, there are some excellent value ones
around, like the ones from Digilent. I also do a review of some of the
boards currently available in "Video #3 - part 2/2: FPGA boards and general
advice on what to get" at http://www.burched.com/freevideos.ag.php (free
video, no signup required:) )

Thanks again & cheers,
Anthony

Getting Started With Xilinx FPGAs Video Guide http://www.BurchED.com

Re: Ann: New FPGA beginner's Video guide

Hey Dave, thanks for checking out the videos & thank you for your kind
comment! That's much appreciated.

Regarding the membership, I hear your point. I understand that some people
would prefer not to have the membership / login-area.

But really it's just a place where people can come back and log in to view
the videos for whatever membership level they have. Whether it's the free
one or the full one. There's alot of excellent value in the free one, and
people can upgrade to the full one later if they want.

I want to show people how to easily get started with FPGAs and at the moment
I've just decided that a "login area" is probably the best way to deliver
the videos product. Also, the site doesn't have any distracting Google
Adsense or banner advertising.

If anyone wants to get into FPGAs, it's definitely a great way to start!

Thanks again for your comments. Cheers,
Anthony
The BurchED Getting Started With Xilinx FPGAs Video Guide
http://www.BurchED.com

Re: Ann: New FPGA beginner's Video guide

Make that "most" people, especially so the technical ones.

Ok, but why do people have to sign up to get the free ones?
That will drive people away in droves.

Not the free ones, it's by far the worst possible way you could go
about it.

I think you'll find most people would rather have a few targeted
Google ads than have to sign up to get free stuff.
Free shouldn't only be free, but it should be instant, no strings
attached.
This is what I've learned from my own website. My traffic is
astronomical because I offer stuff for free without sign-ups. And
people actually seem to like the targeted Google ads, they click on
them a LOT ;-)

Also, being hounded page after page to get to the free videos is
really annoying. It reminds me of when I have to go renew my domain
name, they bombard me with pages of "are you really sure you don't
want to upgrade to this and that feature". It makes me want to scream
and never go back there.

Also, people won't link to your site if it doesn't have good free
stuff readily available.

Just some constructive criticism (from experience). Your videos
deserve to be widely seen, it would be a shame to not have them
popular because they are too hard to get.

Regards
Dave.

Re: Ann: New FPGA beginner's Video guide
<snip>

Thanks Dave. I really appreciate your advice. I have changed the site.

One of the many changes that I made is that visitors can now watch the free
videos without signing up or logging in or anything like that
http://www.BurchED.com

Kind regards,

Anthony Burch
The BurchED Getting Started With Xilinx FPGAs Video Guide
http://www.BurchED.com

Re: Ann: New FPGA beginner's Video guide
thathttp://www.BurchED.com

That's heaps better Tony!
The bombardment is gone, simple and straight to the videos. Nice.
Good luck with it.

You don't make the demo boards any more?

Dave.

Site Timeline