Re: Advice on Multimeter for Home Use...

**It almost doesn't matter. I have 6 or 7 digital meters. I still have the
first one I ever purchased. It was a SOAR branded auto ranging meter. Except
for a broken battery cover, it works very well and is (for day to day
measurements) is entirely adequate. The only meter I managed to bugger up,
is a Micronta bench meter, which I used to measure a 2kV (specifically
warned against in the manual, BTW) power supply. I have a range of meters,
which cost me between $8.00 (I keep this one in the car glovebox) and
$500.00 (I keep this one on the bench) and I honestly can't think why you
would want to spend more than $100.00 on one, unless you have specific needs
(my Fluke is pretty much physically indestructible, but, at a huge cost).
Even $50.00 will get you an excellent and versatile instrument.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Advice on Multimeter for Home Use...

My first digital was a hand-me-down SOAR autoranger as well. I still
have it and it still works fine too.
I thought that meter was the ducks guts until I saw the early Fluke ads
which showed the Fluke 70 next to a beat up Soar, the same model as
mine, with the slogan "How to beat the high cost of cheap meters" :-(

Indeed. The $50-$100 range has some decent meters.
I would not touch the <$50 ones except as glovebox cheapie.
Cost isn't the major issue though, You've just gotta find one with the
features you really need.

Was in DSE the other day and walked by this meter:
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4372d637061c4aa82740c0a87f9c06f5/Product/View/Q1459
For $20 it felt very rugged and heavy with it's overmoulded case.
Certainly a lot better than the other cheapie "glove box" meters out
there.

Dave :)

Re: Advice on Multimeter for Home Use...

finger to keyboard and composed:

I'd buy a cheap meter and calibrate it (or at least verify its
calibration) using Maxim's MAX6350 5.000V precision reference IC. Not
long ago I tested the accuracy of various DMMs at my local DSE store
using such a circuit.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt/msg/5df9aa298d454fed?dmode=source&hl=en

-- Franc Zabkar

Re: Advice on Multimeter for Home Use...

[SNIP]

Thanks all, and particularly Dave.

I bought a QM-1539 at Jaycar, and, as the new Altronics store is just
near my nearest Jaycar, and they were giving away a freebie DMM with any
purchase, I also took the advice of having another one in hand.

    Cheers,
        Gary    B-)