Re: 60 inch plasma under 4 grand

How many years of service do you get out of these new TV's, how reliable is
the manufacture?
Are they prone to failure sooner then the CRT TV's, like failed pixels,
failed power supply etc?
Are they prone to fail more frequently like the new wonder globes the CFL's?

Re: 60 inch plasma under 4 grand

There's a 5 year warranty for an extra $400.  So most of them should last that
long.

Ironically CRTs use more complicated technology, an array of LEDs or LCD pixels
has
nothing to it, just a guess that they should fare pretty well.  I did get a
stuffed pixel
on a 4 inch TV, every time the room scanned left or right it looked like someone
was
shining a laser pointer in the set.  Had to take it back, Dick Smith staff were
not amused
about this 1 pixel.  That was 12 year old tech though.

Herc

Re: 60 inch plasma under 4 grand

is

Power supplies seem to be a common problem area.

CFL's?
that long.

Because so many don't, and they are often unrepairable for less than
replacement price, the 5 year warranty is usually worth it.
It should be standard, and probably would be if the overwhelming majority of
sets actually lasted that long.

pixels has

You are right, they *should*. Pity many don't.

MrT.

Re: 60 inch plasma under 4 grand

CRT's should fail more often but they don't. If a LCD had kids then
old Grandpa (CRT) will easily out live the LCD's Kids and possibly even
the LCD's Kids,Kids.

It's quite hostile inside a CRT with up to 30,000 volts, influenced by
the earth Magnetism and are basically a hit/miss affair it is a miracle
they actually work as well as they do.

Re: 60 inch plasma under 4 grand

Yep, and even more amazing that LCD's and Plasma's can't at least equal the
reliability of the older CRT TV's.
Pity most don't :-(

MrT.

Re: 60 inch plasma under 4 grand

CFLs are prone to fail more frequently than what? CRT TVs? Yes, they
probably are.

Re: 60 inch plasma under 4 grand

Than what they claim for starters.

MrT.

Re: 60 inch plasma under 4 grand

Not necessarily, as long as they aren't switched on/off frequently.

Re: 60 inch plasma under 4 grand

I have never had one last as long as claimed whether or not they are usually
left on. My old style fluoro tubes easily outlast them by a factor of ten!

And leaving a CFL on in the bathroom, toilet, ensuite etc. is *far* less
efficient than turning an incandescent on only when it's needed!

MrT.

Site Timeline