Re: 60 inch plasma under 4 grand

> > They also have a 55 inch LED TV. > > Herc > -- > Hundreds of hot LIVE ladies at your fingertips >
from $3/min

How many years of service do you get out of these new TV's, how reliable is the manufacture? Are they prone to failure sooner then the CRT TV's, like failed pixels, failed power supply etc? Are they prone to fail more frequently like the new wonder globes the CFL's?

Reply to
john smith

"john smith" wrote >

There's a 5 year warranty for an extra $400. So most of them should last that long.

Ironically CRTs use more complicated technology, an array of LEDs or LCD pixels has nothing to it, just a guess that they should fare pretty well. I did get a stuffed pixel on a 4 inch TV, every time the room scanned left or right it looked like someone was shining a laser pointer in the set. Had to take it back, Dick Smith staff were not amused about this 1 pixel. That was 12 year old tech though.

Herc

Reply to
|-|erc

is

Power supplies seem to be a common problem area.

CFL's?

that long.

Because so many don't, and they are often unrepairable for less than replacement price, the 5 year warranty is usually worth it. It should be standard, and probably would be if the overwhelming majority of sets actually lasted that long.

pixels has

You are right, they *should*. Pity many don't.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

CFLs are prone to fail more frequently than what? CRT TVs? Yes, they probably are.

Reply to
annily

Than what they claim for starters.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Not necessarily, as long as they aren't switched on/off frequently.

Reply to
annily

CRT's should fail more often but they don't. If a LCD had kids then old Grandpa (CRT) will easily out live the LCD's Kids and possibly even the LCD's Kids,Kids.

It's quite hostile inside a CRT with up to 30,000 volts, influenced by the earth Magnetism and are basically a hit/miss affair it is a miracle they actually work as well as they do.

Reply to
son of a bitch

I have never had one last as long as claimed whether or not they are usually left on. My old style fluoro tubes easily outlast them by a factor of ten!

And leaving a CFL on in the bathroom, toilet, ensuite etc. is *far* less efficient than turning an incandescent on only when it's needed!

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Yep, and even more amazing that LCD's and Plasma's can't at least equal the reliability of the older CRT TV's. Pity most don't :-(

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T