'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

Tom wrote

means which needn't be disseminated

The problem with doing that is that its not practical, almost everything would stop.

Guess you could block international modem calls.

There are ways of getting the data for BBSs around that tho.

disabled for weeks at a time during

Not first world countrys you havent.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The point is by cutting the external link the internal may well continue , o course everyone had ignored the satellite links and other conection mediums etc etc , closing the net aint that easy here in Au in spite what goolia would have us believe

--
Reply to
atec77

I remember little boxen with buttons and the pressure not to use the telephone system for information collection , there might be sush a situation but here in Au I don't see it happening anytime soon

--
Reply to
atec77

On 23/03/2011 9:34 AM, Rod Speed wrote: ...

disabled for weeks at a time during

Not first world but if the technology was avaiable back then behind the iron curtain imagine what can be done now.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Tom wrote

disabled for weeks at a time during

curtain imagine what can be done now.

How odd that no one actually uses it when the shit hits the fan like in Libya or Egypt or Iran or China.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Sat phones? It would be very hard to do now as so much of the economy depends on instant global comms.

Reply to
terryc

IIRC binkd will do fido run over raw dialup but it's provavly easier to just run PPP or SLIP over the link and share the internet that way

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

It isn't about recreating the internet, but an alternative message/information passing service. It will only work if people stick to text messages. seriously, who wants to wait 24 hours for some web pages to download over dialup.

Reply to
terryc

terryc wrote

means which needn't be disseminated

messages.

Wrong. The net works fine over dialup.

dialup.

None of them take anything like that long.

Reply to
Rod Speed

It was sarcasm Roddles???????

Reply to
SG1

I know, I hosted mine over dialup for about five years. It was always rated extremely fast.

dialup.

You have tested them all on dialup?

Reply to
terryc

So was mine, f****it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Rod Speed

My first dial up was a PMG 300 baud job that was 6 inches by 3 inches by 3 feet, painted grey, and would take 24 hours to download any of todays web pages. But then, it wasn't designed for windows. Perhaps I better see if it still around, as a backup for nuke or other attacks. It was used to dial into Microchips (PIC) first BBS. This was in the days when they provided a line to the US, for the price of a local OZ call.

I would really doubt that I could find any other old dial ups around here, well, apart from a 56K USB unit that I should be able to resurrect, now that I think about it. That will do the job. I would have to find the driver of course.

Cheers Don...

=======================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
Dontronics Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/ics.html

Bare Proto PCB for PIC or AVR projects?
"I'd buy that for a Dollar!".
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Don McKenzie wrote

dialup.

feet, painted grey,

Mine was a 110 baud, not as long as that.

Nope. Plenty wouldnt even take 15 mins.

around, as a backup for nuke or other

Makes more sense to use a much faster modern one instead.

they provided a line to the US, for the

well, apart from a 56K USB unit that I

I still have one connected, and another in one of the laptops.

I use it when the DSL stops very occassionally, like every couple of years.

I dont have to do a thing, just click on the icon.

Reply to
Rod Speed

In theory. Line quality is a big factor. sometimes, slower speeds have consistently higher throughput.

Reply to
terryc

I just have to hook my lappy up and off we go on the internal modem

--
Reply to
atec77

terryc wrote

dialup.

Dont need to, its basic arithmetic.

Reply to
Rod Speed

terryc wrote

over dialup.

feet, painted grey,

around, as a backup for nuke or other

In practice.

Nope, a relatively minor factor.

Not that slow it doesnt.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Shrug, once again Roddles reality trumps our reality.

Reply to
terryc

Oh roddles, you're such a card.

Reply to