'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely: - Page 2

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

It isn't about recreating the internet, but an alternative
message/information passing service. It will only work if people stick
to text messages. seriously, who wants to wait 24 hours for some web
pages to download over dialup.

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

means which needn't be disseminated

messages.

Wrong. The net works fine over dialup.

dialup.

None of them take anything like that long.

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

It was sarcasm Roddles???????

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

So was mine, fuckwit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

My first dial up was a PMG 300 baud job that was 6 inches by 3 inches by 3 feet,
painted grey, and would take 24 hours
to download any of todays web pages. But then, it wasn't designed for windows.
Perhaps I better see if it still around,
as a backup for nuke or other attacks. It was used to dial into Microchips (PIC)
first BBS. This was in the days when
they provided a line to the US, for the price of a local OZ call.

I would really doubt that I could find any other old dial ups around here, well,
apart from a 56K USB unit that I should
be able to resurrect, now that I think about it. That will do the job. I would
have to find the driver of course.

Cheers Don...

=======================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

dialup.

feet, painted grey,

Mine was a 110 baud, not as long as that.

Nope. Plenty wouldnt even take 15 mins.

around, as a backup for nuke or other

Makes more sense to use a much faster modern one instead.

they provided a line to the US, for the

well, apart from a 56K USB unit that I

I still have one connected, and another in one of the laptops.

I use it when the DSL stops very occassionally, like every couple of years.

I dont have to do a thing, just click on the icon.

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

In theory. Line quality is a big factor. sometimes, slower speeds have
consistently higher throughput.

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

over dialup.

feet, painted grey,

around, as a backup for nuke or other

In practice.

Nope, a relatively minor factor.

Not that slow it doesnt.

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

Shrug, once again Roddles reality trumps our reality.

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

over dialup.

feet, painted grey,

around, as a backup for nuke or other

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

And just how many of you are there between those ears anyway ?

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:
I just have to hook my lappy up and off we go on the internal modem

--

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

I know, I hosted mine over dialup for about five years.
It was always rated extremely fast.
dialup.

You have tested them all on dialup?

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

dialup.

Dont need to, its basic arithmetic.

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

Oh roddles, you're such a card.

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

dialup.

Oh tewwy, you're such a terminal fuckwit/pathetic excuse for a bullshit artist.

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

You can have whatever info you want, but with the internet down for
the country,
how are you going to share it with large numbers of your fellow
Australians ??
Unless they can all dial up to overseas as well, there is no option
for spreading.

Think 1980's when there was no internet for the ordinary person.

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:
In the early days before the interweb became common there were BBs's and
of course several other ways
  you can't shut it up

--

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

course several other ways

Agreed.
However say every 13 year old kid had web access via their phone, and every home
had access.
We have what 22 million people? At a wild over estimated guess say 20 million
people have good access to the internet,
and 2 million didn't.

we have about 200 ISPs:
http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/?action=list

If Joolia sent the army in to close them all down, and keep them closed (which
is doable), then what percentage of the
the 20 million would have access to on line communications via overseas link ups
to dial up modems?

I don't think you could do much social networking with that.
It is about sharing information, as was previously stated.

I often wonder how easy it would be to shut down the NBN, which will be running
mainly on a slender thread of silica
glass. I guess about the same as a copper run. You just don't have to axe though
as much of it, if axe is your weapon of
choice.

Cheers Don...

==========================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

The Government's second phase would be to legislate against the use of
the Internet, probably on the grounds of National Security or such like.
Find a few geeks who bypassed the kill switch and string them up as an
example. Fear is an effective non-technical strategy.

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:
The point is by cutting the external link the internal may well continue
, o course everyone had ignored the satellite links and other conection
mediums  etc etc , closing the net aint that easy here in Au in spite
what goolia would have us believe

--

Site Timeline