'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

1 hour ago:

'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

122 Points of Presence to keep Australia online.

Australian network engineers would likely protect the country’s internet
connections from political control, the
Internet Society of Australia (ISOC-AU) heard last night.

Discussing the severance of connections to Egypt in January and Libya last
month, ISOC-AU vice president Narelle Clarke
described various methods of taking a country offline.

She speculated that phone calls from Egyptian officials likely prompted local
ISPs to turn off their routers,
effectively taking the country offline for five-and-a-half days.

The Libyan Government appeared to have employed a different method to take Libya
offline at around 3am Australian
Eastern Standard time on 4 March.

Libya Telecom & Technology – run by the son of Libyan president Muammar
al-Gaddafi – provided the country with most
internet and telecommunications services.

According to Clarke, it was likely that officials reconfigured Libya’s network
topology during a shorter internet
blackout in February so the Government could later make bandwidth unavailable.

Australia too would have a single, large, fibre operator upon completion of the
$43 billion, Government-built National
Broadband Network.

http://x2t.com/kill-switch

Cheers Don...

==================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:
Basically if there is a phone connection to outside the borders the
internet cant be blocked , it's just expensive

--

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

cant be blocked , it's just expensive

I had an Optus $5 a month account for a dial up service, as a backup, and for
when I traveled. However in these days of
USB wireless modems, I decided I didn't need it, so I decided to cancel. This
was what? 1 year ago?

When I rang them, they gave me a $30 credit bonus for canceling, as they wanted
to decommission their dial up modems,
and felt this was a good way to deal with existing customers.

If ISPs are heading that way, and if dial up modems become as scarce as 3.5"
drives on modern computers, then to dial
out in 5 or 10 years time, may well be an impossibility.

You would have to find a country with a dial up service, and be able to sign up
for it. Will that be possible in the future?

Cheers Don...

===================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

I assume you mean 3.5" floppy disk drives.

--
Long-time resident of Adelaide, South Australia,
which probably influences my opinions.

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

Uhhhmmm......

Did I leave out floppy?
That can be painful on a winters night.

:-)

Cheers Don...

=====================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

Probably join the list of 5" and 8" floppy drives.

I've still got a box (sealed) of brand new Commoder 1.2MB 5' floppies
and also a copy of MS-DOS 4.01 on 5" floppies.  Sadly all my 8'
floppies went years ago.

Something to be said for an 8" floppy  :-)

Alan

--
Sell your surplus electronic components athttp://ozcomponents.com
Search or browse for that IC, capacitor,

Pendantic point 5.25 inches, we can't go around without that 1/4".

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

Formally you are right but the point is that internet can be blocked as
mass media and communication tool, if government wanted to hide
something from the nation they wouldn't give a shit if you and maybe
five others accessed the internet from overseas.

Tom

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:
Once you have access the information will be disseminated hence the crap
over the bloke who exposed the US govco with public information
  two fronts there , the fact it wasn't hidden and he had the cheek to
expose the despots

--

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:
the bloke who exposed the US govco with public information
the despots
What you do with information, post it on Wikileaks for other five Australian
with internet to read?

Tom

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:
cite on reduced numbers or is that just a bull shite guess ?
  remember you can call overseas and take a connection from there or by
other means which needn't be disseminated

--

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

That was how Fidonet(worldwide BBS system) operated.
It is just a matter of who has modems and software salted away.

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:
I used to run a bbs with dozens of regular callers , had a hellofa
collection :)

--

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

And how hard is to block the phone calls. In 60's and 70's I've seen
whole country with STD and international calls disabled for weeks at a
time during unrests...

Tom

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

means which needn't be disseminated

The problem with doing that is that its not practical, almost everything would
stop.

Guess you could block international modem calls.

There are ways of getting the data for BBSs around that tho.

disabled for weeks at a time during

Not first world countrys you havent.

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:
disabled for weeks at a time during

Not first world but if the technology was avaiable back then behind the
iron curtain imagine what can be done now.

Tom

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

disabled for weeks at a time during

curtain imagine what can be done now.

How odd that no one actually uses it when the shit hits the fan like in Libya or
Egypt or Iran or China.

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:
I remember little boxen with buttons and the pressure not to use the
telephone system for information collection , there might be sush a
situation but here in Au I don't see it happening anytime soon

--

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

Sat phones?
It would be very hard to do now as so much of the economy depends on
instant global comms.

Re: 'Ratbag' engineers make NBN kill switch unlikely:

IIRC binkd will do fido run over raw dialup but it's provavly easier to
just run PPP or SLIP over the link and share the internet that way

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

Site Timeline