Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

Welcome to the latest Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

Much has been happening behind the scenes since you received our last
update, not least the start of compliance testing on the Raspberry Pi.

Why are we doing this? Compliance testing is an essential part of
bringing any electronic product to market. The Raspberry Pi is being
tested to make sure it conforms to all the regulations that apply to
electronic devices around the world. This means that we can be sure the
Raspberry Pi we deliver to you meets the correct standards and is as
safe as you would expect any electronic device you purchase to be.

We’re working with the Raspberry Pi Foundation to manage the testing
process as quickly as possible, while ensuring all tests are carried out
to guarantee safety.  More information is being posted on the Raspberry
Pi website , as well as on our own FAQ pages rswww.com or DesignSpark.
We’re also regularly tweeting updates on progress.  Follow
@RSElectronics on twitter to catch the latest news.

Alongside this, we’ve also been contacting the first group of people who
registered for a Raspberry Pi from RS, to help us plan delivery of the
initial batch of boards.  In next week’s update, we’ll provide more
information on how we’re managing the queue and the order process.

RS Components

======================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com /

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

Just curious: Does this mean the first round was shipped without being
EMC tested?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

This obviously means the first batch has not been produced at all. At
least I'd expect people to report experiences with the RP if they
shipped a batch.
Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

So it was being sold without inventory on the shelves? Hmm ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

I think the first batch was produced, because I don't think they faked
their blog update about the wrong ethernet connector. But I wonder if
they have to dump the first batch, if the test fails. Maybe they can
sell it with a sticker "for use in EMC shielded cages, only" :-)

--
Frank Buss, http://www.frank-buss.de
electronics and more:

http://www.youtube.com/user/frankbuss

They'll probably turn up on Ebay :)

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

From <http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/840#comment-16997 :

"I'm going to have to put a statement out about this later: in short, once a
certain number of orders were in, RS decided they didn't want to sell the
boards as dev boards (which was what we'd planned for the first, uncased units
- dev boards don't require CE marking - see Arduino, Beagleboard etc.) because
the sales volumes were so big they were worried someone with a similar or
competing product might try to cause some legal trouble over the definition of
development board. We're still trying to work out if we can get some out
earlier without CE marks to developers. We're rushing through compliance as
fast as is humanly possible at the moment."

-a

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

More reading:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/general-discussion/new-rs-email-compliance

Cheers Don...

======================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com /

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

And this is the discussion in the forum:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/general-discussion/new-rs-email-compliance

Looks like the customers are not amused. The foundation should have
tested it before. Is it allowed to sell it as a dev board? I don't think
the comments in the article are right, that it is not allowed to sell it
as a dev board, if they sell too many of it. There must be other
reasons, maybe the intended use of it.

This will cause a major delay, if they have to do all the things like
EMC, WEEE, CE etc. and then for all countries where they plan to ship
it. Maybe we'll get the first devices sometime in summer.

--
Frank Buss, http://www.frank-buss.de
electronics and more:
Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

I got my order in on day one and Farnell are quoting delivery in
"early May".  This is presumably one from the first batch.

I too am very surprised that they haven't sorted out regulatory
testing. Even if the first batch of boards really is intended only for
"developers", it would be unfortunate if interface specifications such
as placement of ground pins needed to change to sort out radiated
emissions or ESD problems.

Lets hope it works out OK.

John

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

I thought development boards are exempt anyway? I find it hard to
believe that all the hundreds of well regarded dev boards from Olimex et
al have been formally EMC tested. How could they be, most have headers
for direct access to the microcontroller pins.

The Pi will very likely fail any such test IMO.

--

John Devereux

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

Yes, dev boards are exempt, the issue is whether rPi foundation can
support the claim that this *is* a dev board given the number of
boards sold and the type of users who are buying them.  From the quote
above it sounds like someone's lawyers got into the loop and added the
FUD.  So of course the bean counters then said, "Let's get the testing
done" since it can be pretty expensive if it turns out they get
whacked with fines, etc.

It's the right decision.

Rick

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

It is most definitely not a development board and they explicitly say so
in the FAQ:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs

Quote "What’s a Raspberry Pi? ... The Raspberry Pi is a credit-card
sized computer that plugs into your TV and a keyboard. It’s a capable
little PC which can be used for many of the things that your desktop PC
does, like spreadsheets, word-processing and games. It also plays
high-definition video".

Then, quote "We want to see it being used by kids all over the world to
learn programming".

By kids all over the world, to learn programming. That makes it rather
clear that is is marketed as a computer and not a dev kit.

It's not FUD, the lawyer was IMHO right.

Absolutamente. Someone has screwed up when they prematurely announced
this device. They should not have started sales before having all ducks
in the row and they clearly didn't have them in a row. At least they
fessed up and are doing the right thing now.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

So it could be positioned as a software development kit.  And as a credit
card sized target for embedded SW development.

Yeah, that is a bit "soft".

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

Yup, and I guess their laywers just had their comeuppance that that
won't fly in case it goes wrong somewhere :-)

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

Gee, gee, gee... Is Dontronics is spreading FUD about the Raspberry Pi
again?

--
C,,

[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt ]

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

Chris, if you look at the message I wrote, you will find I only quoted
an email sent to me from RS, and did not comment at all. The subject
line explains this, that is if you take the time to read it.

In fact I made sure I didn't comment, so people like you couldn't twist
what I said, but you managed, didn't you.

You again have again concocted the message to suit your own agenda.

What is your agenda, and what is your beef?

If you don't like my messages, why do you join in the threads?

This was simply a copy of an email that RS sent to me because I
expressed an interest in the Raspberry Pi.

What crime have I committed?

Cheers Don...