Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London - Page 9

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

bare-metal OS.

Cow! You couldnt bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

Pathetic.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 05:11:46 +1100, "Rod Speed"

It's true, that 95 only used DOS as a bootloader. But in 3.1, drivers
for sound, networking, file access and pretty much everything else,
were loaded in DOS, and used by Windows through the usual DOS
interrupts.

There was the late addition of "32-bit disk access", which stopped the
processor needing to flick in and out of Protected Mode dozens of
times a second, whenever you needed to access the disk.

The exceptions are perhaps just printers and video.

Talking of protected mode, what was the thing where the PC had some
sort of hack to reset the CPU to get back into Real Mode from
Protected, and back again? Sounds a pain in the arse to program and
keep everything consistent. Especially lots of times a second,
flicking the reset line at audio frequencies. Is it still present now,
or did Intel do something to the processors?

"hey let's educate the brutes, we know we are superior to them anyway,
just through genetics, we are gentically superior to the working
class. They are a shaved monkey. If we educate them, they will be able
to read instructions, turn up on time and man the conveyor belts,
sorted."     #

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 08:47:12 GMT

    The 80286 could enter protected mode but not exit it, so the
keyboard controller was used to yank on it's reset pin to drop it out of
protected mode. The reset code checked some location fr a magic number to
distinguish a real power on reset from being dropped into real mode.

    It was only the 80286 that had this problem.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith                          |   Directable Mirror Arrays
C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun

So your claim is just plain wrong with the most important driver.

No perhaps about it.

Nope. And it never was that bad either.

Didnt need to.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

When intel made the 80286 they made the first x86 protected mode,
and the egineers were so in awe of its power and utility that they
were sure noone would ever want to leave it.

Then IBM made the PC/XT-286 ... and there was a problem.

by the time the 80386 came out it was understood that an exit strategy
could be useful.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Yep, in fact long before even the DOS days too, with DEC minis.

And was even involved in developing an OS for the PDP9 that you likely havent
even heard of.

Doesnt mean that Win was just an addon for DOS, that was just how it was started.

That is just plain wrong. Disk ops were nothing like that.

Nothing like in fact.

bare-metal OS.

That was just how Win was booted, it didnt actually use much at all of DOS once
booted.

Nothing like Gnome which still uses the *nix kernal for everything that matters
OS wise.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

I don't think you could with W95 (nor 98 nor ME) -- those were still the
old code base.  They may have done a better job of hiding DOS under it.
Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

bare-metal OS.

code base.

No they werent. Particularly when they installed device drivers for
all the hardware and even rescanned for drives visible, and didnt
use the bios or dos functionality at all, even for the keyboard etc.

They didnt hide DOS, it was only used during the boot phase and in the DOS box.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
bare-metal OS.
code base.

So did DOOM, that doesn't make it an operating system.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

bare-metal OS.

code base.

Yes, but the others clearly are OSs.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Right.

/BAH

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 08:57:12 +1100

    There was a lot less to the early versions of Windows though, and I
have yet to see anything like some of the later Xerox work on using 3D
interfaces effectively rather than as a source of eye candy.

    Windows didn't have real multitasking until Windows 95 and NT,
prior to that it was cooperative multitasking just like MacOS from the
Mac launch in 1984 until OS X. On the PC DesqView was better at
multitasking MSDOS, Windows 2.x and 3.x programs than Windows was.

    Of course real multitasking was around in a number of systems much
earlier. It was hardly an innovation when it appeared in desktop computers,
merely a result of the hardware becoming able to support it. The first real
multitasking on a PC was probably Xenix on the 80286.

    Windows didn't come with TCP/IP based networking from Microsoft
until Windows for Workgroups 3.11 - of course there were TCP/IP stacks for
MSDOS and Windows rather earlier from Trumpet and Crynwr among others.

    Networking for stupid users arrived with DHCP which had nothing to
do with MS, networking for really stupid users had to wait for cheap
routers with DHCP servers installed and set up by default.

    Linux is a unix like kernel it has no UI, or even utilities.

    You are probably thinking of KDE or Gnome - a couple of X11 based
GUI desktop environments that are fairly popular with people who started
their use of computers with MS Windows. These environments are designed to
make the transition from Windows easy by presenting a familiar interface to
Windows users.

    If you were to see my Linux box you would see something that looks
and acts quite differently, but not as radically differently as say Ion or
Ratpoison. One of the features of the unix family that is completely
missing from Windows is *choice* of UI.

    Nope, not seeing anything here pointing to innovation from
Microsoft.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith                          |   Directable Mirror Arrays
C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun
Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

I think I had better unkillfile you, since you seem to be spreading lies.

Utter garbage. I worked for Xerox for 11 years, and we fell about laughing
at Windows. (If only we'd known.)

And if you want some evidence, have a look at this;

http://www.digibarn.com/collections/movies/digibarn-tv/gui-movies/xerox/index.html

What were MS doing in 1982?

How odd that you have this back to front.

Quite so. I've never seen any innovation from SmallNFloppy. Maybe Ajax, if
you're being kind. And I'm likely wrong about that.

--
Today is Boomtime, the 22nd day of Chaos in the YOLD 3177
  Science flies people to the moon; Religion flies people into skyscrapers.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

No one gives a flying red fuck what you do or do not read.

Windows.

You couldnt have even seen THE LATER WINs at that time.

Its obvious which sank beneath the waves. Too much time spent laughing like
village eejuts.

http://www.digibarn.com/collections/movies/digibarn-tv/gui-movies/xerox/index.html

Doesnt say a damned thing ABOUT THE LATER WINs.

What is Xerox doing right now OS wise ?  Sweet fuck all, thats what.

Pigs arse I do.

Just because of those blinkers you keep wearing.

You're wrong about everything, as usual.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

You should write a book.  You could turn the history of personal
computers on its ear with this previously unknown information.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Irrelevant to what is being discussed, innovation.

Irrelevant to what is being discussed, innovation.

Thats a lie.

Thats a lie, most obviously with hardware.

Nothing like, actually.

Irrelevant to what is being discussed, innovation.

Thats just saying that their innovation was better, not saying that MS didnt
have any.

Irrelevant to what was being discussed, whether MS had that for the PC. Of
course they did.

Using that mindless line, no one ever had any innovation with the PC at all.

Which just happened to be from MS. Funny that. Hilarious, actually.

Still not derived from BSD, as I said.

I wasnt talking about TCP/IP stacks.

Wrong.

Wrong again.

Mindless hair splitting.

Nope.

And the default with so many linux distros.

Irrelevant to that stupid claim about monopolisation.

Irrelevant to that stupid claim about monopolisation.

Irrelevant to that stupid claim about monopolisation.

Just because of your mindless bigotry.