Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London - Page 7

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011b.html#9 Rare Apple I computer sells for
$216,000 in London

bitnet annoucement on vmshare
http://vm.marist.edu/~vmshare/browse?fn=BITNET&ft=MEMO

tymshare made its vm370/cms online computer conferencing available to
SHARE user group organization in aug76
http://vm.marist.edu/~vmshare /

recent post about the internal network ...
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011.html#4

including old email about plans to convert the internal
network to sna/vtam
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011.html#email870306

also references old email about the executive committee being told that
PROFS was an SNA application (among other things) used to justify
converting the internal network to sna/vtam:

http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006x.html#email870302
in this old post
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006x.html#7

and somewhat similar discussion here ... where somebody forwarded
me a lengthy log of email discussing how sna/vtam could be
the nsfnet backbone
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#email870109

in this old post
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#21

some of the same people involved in the above referenced email exchanges
(about sna/vtam for nsfnet backbone) ... were later involved in the
transfer of cluster scaleup ... mentioned in this old post about jan92
meeting in ellison's conference room:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/95.html#13

also referenced in this other email
http://www.garlic.com/~lhwemail.html#medusa

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011b.html#9 Rare Apple I computer sells for
$216,000 in London

can't tell for sure whether this is going to be duplicate or not

[...]

Dark tendrils are a part of the Windows philosophy, from overly-complex
installation procedures to the Registry.

Let's just hope that its name isn't Skynet.

--
/~\   snipped-for-privacy@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
\ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.

  Don't forget Berkeley Mail!

  Nope, Berkeley and 'we' (Usenet/News) did!

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
MS.

Which was similar to the OS on the PDP-8.

There was code before FAL which could transfer files between systems.
Please note that this ability to transfer is not a network file system.

of MS.

You are ignorant.

/BAH

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

All of them for the smaller machines have similaritys.

In fact most of the 8s didnt even have an OS at all.

Any decent network has to be able to do that sort of basic stuff.

Using that mindlessly silly line, only the first network was ever an innovation.

No one ever said it was.

of MS.

Any 2 year old could leave that for dead.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Look up Seattle Computer Systems and QDOS, a quick-and-dirty
rewrite of CP/M for the 8086.

That's just as true when one of the clowns is Bill Gates.

--
/~\   snipped-for-privacy@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
\ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.
Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Dont need to look it up, I posted a link to the detail of it.

Like hell it was a quick and dirty rewrite. It JUST used a
common api approach to make porting of apps easy and
improved on CP/M in some areas like with the drive ops.

It was nothing like a copy of CP/M.

of MS.

You're so stupid you havent even noticed basic in rom. That is a
clear innovation from MS that did get used even by IBM themselves.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Thats a lie, there was a lot more too the later Wins than anything Xerox had.

Apple didnt even have multitasking for quite a while.

Nope, not with networking that even stupid users could use.

Nothing like how Win networking ended up.

Quite a bit of the detail was nothing like either.

How odd that Linux has used so much of the UI seen with Win.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

They had multitasking from the advent of MultiFinder in 1987 (or
arguably even earlier with Switcher in 1985, but I don't know if
Switcher allowed applications to actually execute instructions while
backgrounded.)

Dunno what you consider "quite a while".  Switcher was done on the Mac
about six months after Andy Hertzfeld saw Memory Shift running on DOS.
Switcher was out the door about 7 months before Windows 1.0.

Actually, yes.  Winsock was a vast improvement on its successor, Win95
Dial-Up Networking.  With Winsock the majority of the configuration was
done on a single screen (all of it unless you needed a special dial
script).

And even later Windows' network stacks acknowledged their BSD heritage
in places like the HOSTS file.

IE was actually licensed from Spyglass, which in turn had licensed bits
related to Mosaic from NCSA.  So it was a lineal descendant of Mosaic.

Which I find frustrating, as if I wanted Windows on my desktop, I'd run
that. -- Joe
--
Joe Thompson -
E-mail addresses in headers are valid. | http://www.orion-com.com /

The iPhone is Irrelevant, just like Roddles

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
Some gutless fuckwit desperately cowering behind
SG1 wrote just the puerile shit thats all it can ever manage.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Sure it was.  It allowed programs to run (actually executing operations)
in the background.  Until Win95, Windows didn't support anything better
than MultiFinder's capabilities. -- Joe
--
Joe Thompson -
E-mail addresses in headers are valid. | http://www.orion-com.com /
Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

anyway.

Nope, it was an addon, not multitasking as part of the OS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MultiFinder

Irrelevant to the FACT that multitasking on Win was there well before
MultiFinder.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

It replaced the single-tasking Finder with a multitasking one.  I'd call
that "part of the OS", akin to installing an extra module in a Linux
kernel. -- Joe
--
Joe Thompson -
E-mail addresses in headers are valid. | http://www.orion-com.com /
Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

anyway.

More fool you. That the shell, not the OS.

Nothing like it, actually.

And regardless, multitasking showed up with Win well before MultiFinder anyway.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

anyway.

And http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MultiFinder says

MultiFinder was the name of an extension software for the Apple Macintosh,
introduced on August 11, 1987 and included with System Software 5.
With the release of System 7, the MultiFinder extension was integrated with the
operating system,

anyway.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Like I said...

I ran MultiFinder back in the day, I know a little more about it than
Wikipedia does. -- Joe