Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

by comparion ... projected NASA budget for 2011 is $19billion

this pegs 2011 US GDP at nearly $15T

making NASA budget (rockets) slightly over tenth of a percent of GDP (about 1/50th that of claimed cost of dealing with tax code).

Anne & Lynn Wheeler

somewhat related to recent post mentioning congress is the most corrupt institution on earth:

Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

I've mentioned before early last year, I was asked to take the scan of the Pecora hearings (done the previous fall at boston public library) ... HTML them, heavily cross-index, and also provide links between what went on then and what went on this time. This was apparently in anticipation that the new congress had an appetite for doing something. After putting quite a bit of work into it, I got a call that said it didn't look like congress was interested in doing anything real after all.

I was using tesseract to try and improve OCR of the scans ... but still was doing lots & lots of manual fixups (the documents were printed in the 30s and scans were somewhat faded):

old reference from early last year (hear in a.f.c):

OCR scans of old documents

other past posts mentioning Pecora Hearings

As bonuses...why breed greed, when others are in dire need?
Is Wall Street World's Largest Ponzi Scheme where Madoff is Just a Poster Child?
Should Glass-Steagall be reinstated?
Who first mentioned Credit Crunch?
The background reasons of Credit Crunch
Should FDIC or the Federal Reserve Bank have the authority to shut down and take over non-bank financial institutions like AIG?
Architectural Diversity
What's your personal confidence level concerning financial market recovery?
Just posted third article about toxic assets in a series on the current financial crisis
Do the current Banking Results in the US hide a grim truth?
Treating the Web As an Archive
China's yuan 'set to usurp US dollar' as world's reserve currency
The Paradox of Economic Recovery
Analysing risk, especially credit risk in Banks, which was a major reason for the current crisis
64 Cores -- IBM is showing a prototype already
In the USA "financial regulator seeks power to curb excess speculation."
what is mortgage-backed securities?
Opinions on the 'Unix Haters' Handbook'
Opinions on the 'Unix Haters' Handbook
U.K. lags in information security management practices
Opinions on the 'Unix Haters' Handbook
70 Years of ATM Innovation
70 Years of ATM Innovation
Bookshelves under BookMangler
The 2010 Census
Our Pecora Moment
Our Pecora Moment
The Python and the Mongoose: it helps if you know the rules of engagement
Our Pecora Moment
Idiotic programming style edicts
Our Pecora Moment
Idiotic programming style edicts
Goldman Sachs -- Post SEC complaint. What's next?
Fake debate: The Senate will not vote on big banks
Favourite computer history books?
Seeking *Specific* Implementation of Star Trek Game
History--automated payroll processing by other than a computer?
Who is Really to Blame for the Financial Crisis?
Who is Really to Blame for the Financial Crisis?
Idiotic programming style edicts
Idiotic programming style edicts
They always think we don't understand
What banking is. (Essential for predicting the end of finance as we know it.)

Anne & Lynn Wheeler

terryc wrote

Thats not a backup and is completely useless if someone loses the whole box of cards.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Some gutless f****it desperately cowering behind jmfbahciv wrote just the puerile shit that any 2 year old could leave for dead.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Some gutless f****it desperately cowering behind jmfbahciv wrote just the puerile shit that any 2 year old could leave for dead.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Some gutless f****it desperately cowering behind jmfbahciv wrote just the puerile shit that any 2 year old could leave for dead.

Reply to
Rod Speed

there have been several past threads about 1403 being much better than avg. in print quality. normally 1403 was loaded with (cheaper) fabric ribbon ... but for "finished" copy there was a "film" ribbon that resulted in higher quality output.

selectric typewriters (and computer version 2741 terminal) had similar choice of ribbons, fabric ribbons for normal operation and "film" ribbons for higher quality output. this mentions, fabric, film, two-color, and correcting:

the above mentions that film ribbons were only used once and could have security implications ... being able to reproduce what was typed from old ribbons. the above also mentions 2741 selectric terminal. I had one at home from spring of 1970 until summer of 1977 ... when it was replaced with cdi "miniterm" ... some old photos here

lots of corporate documents started off with standard book production ... some old

... however, as some of the documents were moved to CMS script ... there were more and more had characteristic of originating on 1403. One of the earliest such was principle of operations:

A major reason for moving principle of operations to cms script was the material was actually a subset of the "architecture manual" (or "readbook" for being distributed in red 3-ring binder). As cms script file ... it was possible to have the "conditional" indicators bracketing the sections that were only in the "principle of operations" ... and then depending on how cms script was invoked, produce the full architecture manual or the POP subset.

In the mid-70s, installations started getting the 3800 laser printer ... which could produce higher quality output

Anne & Lynn Wheeler

Hey Barb, I think you've broken it.

-- Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays C:>WIN | A better way to focus the sun The computer obeys and wins. | licences available see You lose and Bill collects. |

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Some gutless f****it desperately cowering behind Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote just the puerile shit that any 2 year old could leave for dead.

Reply to
Rod Speed

on.

pockets.

numbering.

paper.

At the CSIRO Dept of Computing Research back in the mid 70s the hairy legged "Computer scientists" used to output all their jobs to the card punch as well as the printer. Some offices were stacked from floor to ceiling with boxes of cards. The cardpunch itself was a bastard to maintain, it was always jamming or punching askew. I got the job of finding the problem which turned out to be that the baseplate had been completely worn out under the springs that braked the cards as they were fed into the punching station. The baseplate was the thing that the whole punch was built on and was a non replaceable part. So I got the job of telling them that either they could buy a new punch (secondhand as the punch was obsolete) or do without. There was much sobbing and gnashing of teeth, we took the punch out and they never punched another card again which made it obvious that the millions of cards that they had punched were a total waste of time and money.

ABS were using cards as input right up to the early 80s.

Reply to
keithr

on.

pockets.

Depends on the type, some had oil impregnated into them. Left a nasty stain in your pocket and hard to write on.

A number of companies gave away cards of the same form factor as punch cards but thinner an with the company logo as note pads.

I haven't seen a punch card in decades though.

Reply to
keithr

If you wanted to be really nerdy, you carried the dummy cheques that IBM provided to test their cheque sorters as note pads. I found one the other day stuck in an old programming manual as a bookmark.

Reply to
keithr

A good slapping?

Reply to
keithr

One of the things I've been thankful for having started when cards were still in use is that I've never had any problem understanding files, records or fields. When you could hold the "records" in your hand and look at the "fields" on the card it became very clear. I've used this to teach the concepts several times. Most recently, I had to bring up some pictures of cards on the screen because the student had never seen any. But when I did they got an instant "Oh, yeah!" Of course, "do not bend, fold, spindle, or mutilate" didn't mean anything to her, but that's the way it goes.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

keithr wrote

on.

pockets.

numbering.

paper.

"Computer scientists" used to output all

Pigs arse they did.

cardpunch itself was a bastard to maintain,

which turned out to be that the

as they were fed into the punching

a non replaceable part. So I got the

punch was obsolete) or do without. There

punched another card again which made it

time and money.

Yeah, the boxes of punched cards were used to move data between the

1620 and the 360/50 at the ANU, well before that time you are talking about.
Reply to
Rod Speed

keithr wrote

on.

pockets.

None the ones I ever bought in large quantity ever did.

but thinner an with the company logo as

I've still got about half a box of them left.

Reply to
Rod Speed

When I was at Burroughs, I was out in Atlanta training some folks on the new medium systems MCP, and was testing the reader-sorter code; the test checks were cancelled employee paychecks from other sites - found several old checks for current colleagues.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I saw one yesterday. I'm using it as a bookmark.

--
Today is Setting Orange, the 43rd day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3176
                      "Always mount a scratch monkey."

Looks that way. He still hasn't really answered my question. So I'll guess he wasn't the one to make the decisions and doesn't know all the details of that particular site.

Trying to get back to an on-topic....

I remember the 33s causing field service to create new swear words. However, I don't remember keypunches doing that. I do remember one

33 which took about a month to fix (one of the ones I busted by typing too fast). If a keypunch broke badly enough to get IBM in to fix it, it didn't take long to have it working again.

So, another question is: Speedybongzalas implied that keypunches were difficult to fix. Were they really?

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

write on.

pockets.

numbering.

of paper.

cards.

Do you know how that practice began? Was it a course all of them took which required both media to be used for the course's problems?

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv