Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London - Page 5

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Barb, really -- he just isn't worth the effort.
Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Yea, I know. Yesterday was my last attempt.  :-(

/BAH

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Great, there is only so much of your puerile shit anyone should have to put up
with.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

The 'Rod-bot' occasionally gets stuck in a loop, requiring a reboot
(it must be running Windows).

--
Usenet Improvement Project: http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org /

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

<snip>

And that was the problem.  Apps should be asking the monitor
to do the hardware tweaks, not doiing it themselves.  That's
the source of most of the bugs and non-features in MS'
software.

<snip>

/BAH

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Yes, but with that sort of app, if they dont do it that way, there is fuck all
you can do about that.

You dont normally even have a choice of app to do the programming of unusual
hardware.

Yes, but when you need to run that software, the last thing you need is an OS
that wont let it run.

Thats why OS/2 never did get used much by those that need to do that sort of
thing.

Quite a bit of it would only run on DOS.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
all you can do about that.
hardware.
OS that wont let it run.
thing.
You really don't seem to know what you're talking about.

/BAH

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
Some gutless fuckwit desperately cowering behind
jmfbahciv wrote just the puerile shit that any 2 year old could leave for dead.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

that.

Nope.

Nope, because not enough of the apps had native OS/2
versions for that to be viable and they never did either.

Nope, its support for DOS apps was pathetic.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 20:30:56 -0700, Joe Pfeiffer

that.

[I realise this is a bit of an old thread, but... it's not like
Usenet's been busy. Hey, the old days are returning, but in the
opposite direction!].

As far as I know, from various sources including that famous one based
on the book in the late 90s, about the rise of Microsoft. That I can't
remember the name of...

What MS basically did, was give discounts to manufacturers and
retailers. You could have Windows at a significant discount, as long
as your business sells NO PCs with any alternative OS. For most
sellers, that's a fair percentage of a big amount of money.

So they stitched up the market and "leveraged", I believe it's called,
their small market advantage into a vast one. A company offering
alternative OSes would have this disadvantage against it's rivals, and
all other things being equal, go under. Thousands of businesses and
millions of customers manipulated.

This was (AFAIK IIRC ETC) the cause of one of the legal suits against
them. I remember at the time, Gates's moaning to the press about how
he was being picked on... "If the Federal Government demands I give
away 95% of my money to charity, I'll do it". As if that was one of
the government's powers, or a likely outcome to the case. He didn't
offer to run his business in a less predatory and monopolistic way, or
to stop buying up any company that looks like it might compete with
him, and either absorb or neglect it to death.

[All that money, and he STILL dresses like he ran through a charity
shop with a strong static charge].

The free market doesn't cope well with monopolies, and in the modern
age, businesses aren't happy with expansion any more. It's more
profitable to crush your rivals to cultivate as much as one can of a
monopoly, then charge what you like (or alternatively form a cartel
and price-fix everything), than it is to make a better mousetrap, and
rely on the consumer's own innate cannyness and wisdom to choose your
product above others, and.... all that other 1950s pipe dreaming
nonsense.

We're in the age of monopolies and megalopolies (whatever they are!).
Many corporations tower over governments in terms of cash and power,
and the simple blessing that is corruption, means politicians have to
compete for bribes with their fellows. Bribery's a seller's market
now. So you don't actually need to compete with a government, just to
fix it's minions.

As far as the 21st Century goes, I think it's probably a battle over
control of Google, with "Don't be evil" on the one side, and the
entirety of modern investment capitalism on the other. I dunno how
much control Larry and Sergey have retained thus far. Although
legally, being publically traded, they've an obligation to only do
things that make more money. It's illegal to be ethical if it costs a
stockholder a penny. An under-used defense in tax-fraud cases I feel.

"hey let's educate the brutes, we know we are superior to them anyway,
just through genetics, we are gentically superior to the working
class. They are a shaved monkey. If we educate them, they will be able
to read instructions, turn up on time and man the conveyor belts,
sorted."     #

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Bill Gates would repeatedly whine about how the government was
stifling Microsoft's right to innovate, while at the same time
Microsoft was stifling everyone else's right to innovate - or,
oftentimes, to exist at all.

Well, Donald Trump has the hair thing...

Yup.  Which is why a psychological analysis of a corporation classifies
it as a psychopath.

http://siivola.org/monte/papers_grouped/uncopyrighted/Misc/corporate_psychopathy
.htm

--
/~\   snipped-for-privacy@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
\ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.

And that is precisely what the govt was attempting to do when it
proclaimed that MS couldnt include a free browser with their OS.

Thats a lie. Didnt stiffle google, twitter, facebook, ebay, etc etc etc.

Never in fact.

Nope.

psychopath.

Mindlessly silly.

http://siivola.org/monte/papers_grouped/uncopyrighted/Misc/corporate_psychopathy.htm

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Not that they ever have innovated, of course, but they'd like to know
they could if they ever decided to.

You seem to have a rather one-sided view of the subject.  It's been
proven that M$ used predatory pricing tactics to prevent anyone
preloading any other OS.  By including their browser with their OS while
preventing any other browser from being preloaded they were pursuing
predatory tactics.  They had the right to ship their browser on the same
terms as anyone else, but bot by illieally tying it to their OS monopoly.

innovate

The only reason they didn't stifle these was because they didn't see
them coming.  Otherwise they would have strangled these the same way
they did everyone else.  I could make a long list of companies that they
forced out of business, to name a few: Lotus (though still in a zombie
state as part of IBM), WordPerfect, Digital Research, Novell, Borand,
etc.  They managed to force even IBM to exit the PC OS business, even
though OS/2 was a great advancement on most of the M$ OSs that followed
it: Win 3.1, Win NT for several releases, Win 95, Win 98, etc.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Indeed, DOS was not an innovation, it wasn't even orignally developed by MS.
Indeed, Windows was not an innnovation, just a ripoff of Xerox and Apple.
Networking in windows (remember Winsock?) derived from BSD.
Network File Systems?   First done by Novell with Netware.
Where's NetBUI today (an example of innovation gone bad)?
IE?   First done by Mosiac, then Netscape.
The Zune was not an innovation, nor was the Xbox, nor is their cloud.

Microsoft only innovates in monopolization techniques.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
On 22 Jan 2011 21:12:28 GMT

    Furthermore it was originally close to a copy of CP/M.

    Winsock wasn't from MS, it was put together by a group of people
chatting on Compuserve - MS never even implemented the first version of it
(that was left to Trumpet to do).

    I think DEC FAL was a bit earlier (ie. earlier than PCs).

    IE and Netscape were originally derived from Mosaic.

    I think we are in strong agreement about how little innovation has
come out of MS.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith                          |   Directable Mirror Arrays
C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun

there was also datahub ... done by san jose ... but a lot of the
implementation was being done under subcontract with group in provo
... there was somebody commuting from san jose to provo nearly every
week. when san jose decided not to follow thru with datahub ... they let
the group in provo retain all the work they had done.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Pigs arse it was.

Pity about what happened later.

Much earlier in fact. But was nothing like what Win ended up with.

And then moved on a hell of a long way past that.

MS.

Just because a couple of clowns claim something, doesnt make it gospel.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

QDOS was a pig's arse? -- Joe
--
Joe Thompson -
E-mail addresses in headers are valid. | http://www.orion-com.com /