Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London - Page 4

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

What I used didnt have anything like that. Just an ASR33 for all input and
output.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
output.

Which explains your bitterness about TTYs, not cards.

/BAH

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
Some gutless fuckwit desperately cowering behind
jmfbahciv wrote just the puerile shit that any 2 year old could leave for dead.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 06:25:51 +1100

    Hey Barb, I think you've broken it.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith                          |   Directable Mirror Arrays
C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun
Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
Some gutless fuckwit desperately cowering behind
Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote just the puerile shit that any 2 year old could leave
for dead.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
<grin>  Looks that way.  He still hasn't really answered my question.  So
I'll guess he wasn't the one to make the decisions and doesn't know
all the details of that particular site.

Trying to get back to an on-topic....

I remember the 33s causing field service to create new swear words.
However, I don't remember keypunches doing that.  I do remember one
33 which took about a month to fix (one of the ones I busted by
typing too fast).  If a keypunch broke badly enough to get IBM
in to fix it, it didn't take long to have it working again.

So, another question is:  Speedybongzalas implied that keypunches
were difficult to fix.  Were they really?

/BAH

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
On 1 Dec 2010 13:30:22 GMT

    Having seen the insides of a 33 I'm not surprised.

    There was more electronics and less mechanical wizardry in the card
punches I knew (029s).

    That probably bollixed up the mechanical ASCII encoder/keyboard
mechanism, I would hate to try and fix that, I was always amazed that they
got it to work at all let alone in mass production.

    I doubt it from what I've seen of the innards of them, but I've
never tried it.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith                          |   Directable Mirror Arrays
C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun
Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

There wasnt any question that wasnt just puerile silly stuff.

Guess again.

And you clearly never did maintenance on them yourself.

Pity about the cost of them and the cost of that maintenance.

With a decent collection of punches, there was always one or two with a problem.

Not surprising given that they were entirely electromechanical devices, no
electronics at all.

difficult to fix.

Pigs arse I ever did.

Never said they were, just quite expensive to maintain because they werent that
reliable.

Much more expensive to maintain than what replaced them.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
problem.
electronics at all.
difficult to fix.
that reliable.

Keypunches were very reliable unless you abused them extremely.

/BAH

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

problem.

electronics at all.

difficult to fix.

that reliable.

Like I said, with a decent collection of punches, there was always one or two
with a problem.

And the cost of having them on maintenance contract was substantial.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

<snip>

that reliable.
two with a problem.

That's very odd.  My shop had a dozen 26s and one or two 29s.  It was very
rare to have one with a down IBM card on it.  Those keypunches were used
by students who had minimal training about the care and feeding of
keypunches.  The most common mainentance problem was when a student
forgot to flip the switch which lifted the wheels off the drumcard.
But that was fixed in a couple of minutes.

How many did you have?

/BAH

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

In our student area, there were usually one or two punches down
due to jams.  For me, this was a benefit, for I knew how to
clear them.  In a student area with long lineups for a punch,
it was as if one had been reserved for me; I'd walk past the
lineups, sit down at the jammed punch, clear it, punch my cards,
and leave the punch available for someone else.

If you cared to dig down inside the machine and retrieve the missing
star wheels, and knew how to re-attach them...

--
/~\   snipped-for-privacy@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
\ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.

/BAH

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

call...usually.

Irrelevant to whether they had to be on maintenance contract anyway.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
call...usually.

They didn't have to be on a service contract but it was wise to
have a contract early on.

It's not irrelevant when you have a dozen keypunches which are used
12-14 hours/day.  One down keypunch can create student unrest.

/BAH

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

call...usually.

Depends on the capabilitys of the individuals involved.

What I said in more words.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

that reliable.

with a problem.

I was talking about just 029s.

Rather more than you were tallking about.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
werent that reliable.
two with a problem.
Sheesh!  Can't you answer a question with a fact?

/BAH