Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote

free.

The word WHEN was included for a reason.

time).

Thats wrong too when all of them have shit that many dont bother with that has to either be removed or at least the offer to install is refused etc.

Not if you have it already as part of the process of deciding what you want on the laptop.

Yes, but it can still be quite literally free, most obviously with a personal laptop where your time has no dollar value.

And even when it does cost minimally because your time isnt free, you STILL have a real choice. The fact that what you prefer isnt what the bulk of the market prefers is irrelevant to the FACT that you have a real choice.

No it doesnt as far as what is being discussed is concerned, whether you have a REAL CHOICE or not.

It does exist tho. The fact that it isnt common just shows that what you prefer isnt what the bulk of the market prefers.

Doesnt alter the fact that you have always had a real choice and do in spades now.

No one with even half a clue ever said that its only a real choice when the prices of the alternatives are identical.

You have a real choice in the car you buy even tho the prices vary widely.

Reply to
Jim Brown

Were you even around in the pre-Win95 days? The way it worked was that DOS would boot, then you'd start Windows (or AUTOEXEC.BAT would do it) using the WIN command. Windows 3.x and its antecedents were really just DOS shells with fancy APIs available, kinda like GNOME is not the same as the underlying OS but adds its own APIs.

It wasn't until WinNT/Win95 that you could boot Windows directly as a bare-metal OS. -- Joe

--
Joe Thompson -
E-mail addresses in headers are valid. | http://www.orion-com.com/

Under this definition, a new car is free if I already bought one as part of the process of starting a new job. -- Joe

--
Joe Thompson -
E-mail addresses in headers are valid. | http://www.orion-com.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joe Thompson

Joe Thompson wrote

free.

Its still a real choice. In spades when the alternative is quite literally free.

Still a real choice. You have a real choice of car to buy even tho they arent all identically priced and not all of them have all the dealers cosited etc.

Reply to
Jim Brown

Charlie Gibbs wrote

Dont need to look it up, I posted a link to the detail of it.

Like hell it was a quick and dirty rewrite. It JUST used a common api approach to make porting of apps easy and improved on CP/M in some areas like with the drive ops.

It was nothing like a copy of CP/M.

of MS.

You're so stupid you havent even noticed basic in rom. That is a clear innovation from MS that did get used even by IBM themselves.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Charlie Gibbs wrote

Never said a word about the code, what ended up in the *nix GUIs was the UI look and feel, stupid.

Everyone can see for themselves that you are lying.

Reply to
Rod Speed

You can obviously use something that can handle those.

Using that utterly mindless line, there never is any real choice anywhere.

And that is quite obviously mindlessly silly.

Reply to
Jim Brown

Indeed. And I remember thinking when W95 came out (late!) how much Microsoft had "borrowed" from MacOS, AmigaOS, Next and the *nix window managers.

--
Cheers,
Stan Barr     plan.b .at. dsl .dot. pipex .dot. com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Stan Barr

Joe Thompson wrote

Nope, I was talking about the situation where you have already used the OS you prefer on your desktop etc and decide you want to have that on the new laptop too.

Reply to
Jim Brown

Joe Thompson wrote

Yep, in fact long before even the DOS days too, with DEC minis.

And was even involved in developing an OS for the PDP9 that you likely havent even heard of.

Doesnt mean that Win was just an addon for DOS, that was just how it was started.

That is just plain wrong. Disk ops were nothing like that.

Nothing like in fact.

bare-metal OS.

That was just how Win was booted, it didnt actually use much at all of DOS once booted.

Nothing like Gnome which still uses the *nix kernal for everything that matters OS wise.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I don't think you could with W95 (nor 98 nor ME) -- those were still the old code base. They may have done a better job of hiding DOS under it.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Joe Pfeiffer wrote

bare-metal OS.

code base.

No they werent. Particularly when they installed device drivers for all the hardware and even rescanned for drives visible, and didnt use the bios or dos functionality at all, even for the keyboard etc.

They didnt hide DOS, it was only used during the boot phase and in the DOS box.

Reply to
Rod Speed

No hard when he is loopie???

Reply to
SG1

Why should I pay microsoft for something I've no intention of ever using?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Scott Lurndal wrote

Because few bother to cater for those of you that prefer a different OS.

You might as well whine about having to pay for heated seats when you want to use a car in a place like Hawaii that never needs them.

Or child restraint anchor points in your new car when you dont have any kids and never have kids in your car.

Reply to
Jim Brown

Because it's there.

Reply to
T.T.

"The secret word is 'mindless'." Thank you, Groucho.

Wow - flamed by both of his personalities in the same day. I've made it (whatever "it" is).

--
/~\  cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
\ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Charlie Gibbs

Jim Brown wrote

fact that it was extremely difficult to

And you dont have to anyway, you can buy one of the chinese laptops that doesnt pay a cent to microsoft for anything if you dont want microsoft to get a cent of yours.

Reply to
Jim Brown

Blimey this subject has generated a lot of verbiage.

Reply to
F Murtz

Yes Roddles & verbal diarrhoea go together.

Reply to
SG1