Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London - Page 14

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

on.

I still use the cards to write on even now.

Cut in half, they go in the wallet fine, now that T shirts dont have shirt
pockets.

Specially when you dropped an entire box of cards which didnt have any numbering.

I used to run an IBM 360/50 in the evenings myself.

The printer automatically opened up when it ran out of paper.

One night, someone had a box of cards on the top of the printer.

You could hear the printer cover automatically opening up when it ran out of
paper.

The poor bugger ran to the printer when he heard the cover opening.

Didnt get there in time. The box of cards had months of data on those cards.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Look on the bright side.  The data was still there.  (Heck, it was
now everywhere.)  A bit of work with the card sorter and everything
was back together again, with nothing lost but time.  (If the cards
didn't contain fields on which you could do whatever sorting was
necessary, it was time for a talk with whoever designed the layout.)

--
/~\   snipped-for-privacy@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
\ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.
Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

paper.

Nope, there was nothing to sort on.

You quite sure you aint one of those rocket scientist fellas ?

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Nah, that was too simple.  I worked with the really hard stuff:
payroll systems.

--
/~\   snipped-for-privacy@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
\ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.
Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Pathetic.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Payroll systems could be argued to be the hardest part of rocket
science. Shooting rockets off only need deal with physical reality, but
payroll needs deal with physical reality and acts of Congress and state
legislatures not to mention all sorts of government regulations.

--
The Chinese pretend their goods are good and we pretend our money
is good, or is it the reverse?

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

i periodically mention the economic conference from a couple years ago
where one of the news stations broadcast a roundtable of economists.
they said the tax code (that was constantly being twiddled) was 65,000+
pages. The proposal was that going to flat tax would reduce the tax code
to 400-500 pages and vastly improve the productivity of the country.

there were statements that lobbying tax code (constant twiddling)
contributes to congress being the most corrupt institution on earth.
that changing to flattax & 400-500 page tax code would gain something
like 6 percent GDP (currently lost dealing with the special
provisions). It would also significantly reduce the enormous high-level
level of corruption.  That 6percent would be much larger benefit
offsetting any loss of possible positive benefits buried in those
65,000+ pages.

The roundtable ended with semi-humourous observation that one of those
lobbying against the flat-tax change was Ireland ... supposedly some
number of the companies relocating to Ireland gave as reason the
problems dealing with US tax code.

misc. past posts referencing the (flat tax) roundtable:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008k.html#71 Cormpany sponsored insurance
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008m.html#49 Taxes
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009e.html#43 Architectural Diversity
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009e.html#83 Architectural Diversity
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009h.html#20 China's yuan 'set to usurp US dollar'
as world's reserve currency
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009i.html#13 64 Cores -- IBM is showing a prototype
already
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009p.html#31 Opinions on the 'Unix Haters' Handbook
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009p.html#39 Opinions on the 'Unix Haters' Handbook
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#48 search engine history, was Happy
DEC-10 Day
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#49 search engine history, was Happy
DEC-10 Day
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010f.html#40 F.B.I. Faces New Setback in Computer
Overhaul
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010j.html#88 taking down the machine - z9 series
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010k.html#37 taking down the machine - z9 series
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010k.html#58 History--automated payroll processing
by other than a computer?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010l.html#69 Who is Really to Blame for the
Financial Crisis?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010m.html#73 Idiotic programming style edicts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010o.html#59 They always think we don't understand

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

by comparion ... projected NASA budget for 2011 is $19billion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_Budget

this pegs 2011 US GDP at nearly $15T
http://www.forecasts.org/gdp.htm

making NASA budget (rockets) slightly over tenth of a percent of GDP
(about 1/50th that of claimed cost of dealing with tax code).

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
Or mention the merits of the use of a dry marker.

/BAH

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Hear, hear!

--
/~\   snipped-for-privacy@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
\ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.
Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
write on.
pockets.
numbering.
paper.
If no one paniced, you could pick up the most of the cards in sequence.
Static was your friend in this case.

/BAH

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

on.

pockets.

numbering.

paper.

Not in that situation you couldnt.

Fantasy.

And most isnt anything like good enough in that situation anyway.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
on.
pockets.
numbering.
paper.
At the CSIRO Dept of Computing Research back in the mid 70s the hairy
legged "Computer scientists" used to output all their jobs to the card
punch as well as the printer. Some offices were stacked from floor to
ceiling with boxes of cards. The cardpunch itself was a bastard to
maintain, it was always jamming or punching askew. I got the job of
finding the problem which turned out to be that the baseplate had been
completely worn out under the springs that braked the cards as they were
fed into the punching station. The baseplate was the thing that the
whole punch was built on and was a non replaceable part. So I got the
job of telling them that either they could buy a new punch (secondhand
as the punch was obsolete) or do without. There was much sobbing and
gnashing of teeth, we took the punch out and they never punched another
card again which made it obvious that the millions of cards that they
had punched were a total waste of time and money.

ABS were using cards as input right up to the early 80s.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

on.

pockets.

numbering.

paper.

"Computer scientists" used to output all

Pigs arse they did.

cardpunch itself was a bastard to maintain,
which turned out to be that the
as they were fed into the punching
a non replaceable part. So I got the
punch was obsolete) or do without. There
punched another card again which made it
time and money.

Yeah, the boxes of punched cards were used to move data between the
1620 and the 360/50 at the ANU, well before that time you are talking about.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
write on.
pockets.
numbering.
paper.
"Computer scientists" used to output all

Hmm I don't remember anybody called rod speed at DCR, so how would you know?

cardpunch itself was a bastard to maintain,
which turned out to be that the
cards as they were fed into the punching
was a non replaceable part. So I got the
punch was obsolete) or do without. There
punched another card again which made it
of time and money.
I was at ABS from '73 to '76 and from '80 to '86. ANU, in my experience
were pretty anti-IBM, the academics preferred Univac.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London