Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London - Page 11

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

And even there they stole a lot from IBM.

--
/~\   snipped-for-privacy@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
\ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.

Not particularly, no.

Not really.

It sort of does.

No one denied that it was; maybe you should save the word "stupid" for times
when it's applicable?

However, a "real choice" in economic terms suggests that, say, you basically
get to choose which products to buy.  If the only way to get a burger king
burger were to buy a burger from McD's, at which point you could throw the
burger out but keep the carton, then go to BK and have them put a free burger
in the carton, that would not be a "real choice" the way the current system
is.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / snipped-for-privacy@seebs.net
Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Yes, really. It wouldnt even cost you a cent more.

Pigs arse it does.

Its completely applicable there.

And that is precisely what you got when the alternative is quite literally free.

Corse it would be.

And thats nothing like the situation with PCs anyway.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 20:52:21 +1100

    It's not free if you account for your time. When the only way to
buy a PC is to buy it with Windows installed (and therefore paid for) the
cost of installing Windows is zero (no money, no time).

    The cost of installing another OS is the cost of obtaining it
(download time plus blank media - or purchase cost of installation media at
a minimum) plus the (moderately skilled) time it takes to install it.
That's not zero.

    Now this all changes if you get the PC without an OS for less than
the cost of the same PC with an OS or if there is a choice of pre-installed
OS on the hardware of your choice. Neither is common even now.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith                          |   Directable Mirror Arrays
C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun

/BAH

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Dual-core pentium for less than $350;  Fedora install less than 20
minutes; not having to pay the Bill tax, priceless!  Obviously
installing an OS from scratch is not for everyone, but if yu know your
way around a computer it isn't too difficult.  Now if only I could get
Samba and VirtualBox to play well together - I had it working but made a
change and broke it :-(

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

free.

The word WHEN was included for a reason.

time).

Thats wrong too when all of them have shit that many dont bother with
that has to either be removed or at least the offer to install is refused etc.

Not if you have it already as part of the process of deciding what you want on
the laptop.

Yes, but it can still be quite literally free, most obviously
with a personal laptop where your time has no dollar value.

And even when it does cost minimally because your time isnt free,
you STILL have a real choice. The fact that what you prefer isnt
what the bulk of the market prefers is irrelevant to the FACT that
you have a real choice.

No it doesnt as far as what is being discussed is concerned, whether you have a
REAL CHOICE or not.

It does exist tho. The fact that it isnt common just shows
that what you prefer isnt what the bulk of the market prefers.

Doesnt alter the fact that you have always had a real choice and do in spades
now.

No one with even half a clue ever said that its only a real choice when the
prices of the alternatives are identical.

You have a real choice in the car you buy even tho the prices vary widely.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Under this definition, a new car is free if I already bought one as part
of the process of starting a new job. -- Joe
--
Joe Thompson -
E-mail addresses in headers are valid. | http://www.orion-com.com /

Nope, I was talking about the situation where you have
already used the OS you prefer on your desktop etc
and decide you want to have that on the new laptop too.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Not when there is a product one cannot choose not to buy.

Not unless McDonald's gave me a refund for the unwanted burger, so that
my free burger was actually free. -- Joe
--
Joe Thompson -
E-mail addresses in headers are valid. | http://www.orion-com.com /
Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

I'm sorry, but your burger was licensed only for eating out of the
original carton.  It has no value by itself.

--
Roland Hutchinson

He calls himself "the Garden State's leading violist da gamba,"
Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 16:35:48 +0000 (UTC)

I was wondering about the legality of porting the cheese.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith                          |   Directable Mirror Arrays
C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun
Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Your only option is to return the complete burger for a refund in
original, unopened box.

Installation of third-party cheese voids the warranty.

You want fries with that?

--
Roland Hutchinson

He calls himself "the Garden State's leading violist da gamba,"
Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
But it didn't have a mouse ball.

/BAH

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Are you sure?

--
Roland Hutchinson

He calls himself "the Garden State's leading violist da gamba,"
Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London

Yes the cooks are female mice.

Re: Rare Apple I computer sells for $216,000 in London
yep.  I wasn't forced to point.

/BAH