Random fact about battery storage - Page 2

Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary

Translate This Thread From English to

Threaded View
Re: Random fact about battery storage
On 18/12/2017 11:46 PM, news16 wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

It isn't, but we can't assume in advance that a particular technology  
will be economical within some time-frame, or indeed ever.

I'm all for sustainable power generation, but it's important to realise  
technologies that look sustainable may not actually be when one  
considers the resources need to construct them, and considering that all  
forms of generation have to be constructed over and over because they  
don't last forever.

Sylvia.

Re: Random fact about battery storage
On Tue, 19 Dec 2017 11:34:29 +1100, Sylvia Else wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it


The fatal flaw in all your post is the adoption of a unitary extremism.

Re: Random fact about battery storage
Once upon a time on usenet Phil Allison wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

You aren't rebutting my logic, you're twisting the narrative in an attempt  
to 'win'.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Most dams are for water collection, storage and supply. The 'collection'  
part means there is a source.

Anyway you've changed this into something it wasn't. My comment was in  
response to your statement (which of course you snipped), reinserted below;

"** Pumped hydro storage does not rely on rainfall, cos the same water goes  
up and down, over and over."

If there is no input to compensate for evaporation then it wouldn't last  
long. Why would you say rainfall isn't needed then reply saying that, on the  
East coast rainfall is the same as evaoration?
--  
Shaun.

"Humans will have advanced a long, long way when religious belief has a cozy  
We've slightly trimmed the long signature. Click to see the full one.
Re: Random fact about battery storage
~misfit~ wrote:

----------------

Quoted text here. Click to load it


** You did not post logic - just a smartarse remark.  

    
Quoted text here. Click to load it

** But there is always some rainfall and it does the job.


Quoted text here. Click to load it


** But I didn't.

What I wrote was that since pumped hydro is a closed system, it is not essential to it.  

Shame if that completely baffled you tiny brain.  


... Phil  

Re: Random fact about battery storage
Once upon a time on usenet Sylvia Else wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

One thing that might change it suddenly is the impending need for  
desalination plants. A waste-product of those is everything that was  
disolved in the seawater....
--  
Shaun.

"Humans will have advanced a long, long way when religious belief has a cozy  
We've slightly trimmed the long signature. Click to see the full one.
Re: Random fact about battery storage
On 20/12/2017 11:47 AM, ~misfit~ wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it


There are about 0.000015 moles of lithium per litre of water. Which is  
to say, about 103 milligrams of lithium per kilolitre of water. So to  
obtain a tonne of lithium, we have to process about 10,000 megalitres.

Sydney's desalinator has a capacity of 250 megalitres per day, so  
running it for 40 days has the potential to yield one tonne of lithium,  
giving a potential output of 9 tonnes per year. Compare this with  
Australia's output of more than 14,000 tonnes.

Sylvia.






Re: Random fact about battery storage
On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 13:56:03 +1100, Trevor Wilson wrote:


Quoted text here. Click to load it

Not to forget molten salts batteries which exist now.


Re: Random fact about battery storage
On 12/17/2017 11:00 AM, Sylvia Else wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

Just use solar thermal generation with liquid salt storage or start  
using wave energy, that works 24/7. Tidal energy  has 4 nulls per day,  
but they occur at different times in different locations. There are many  
options and a lot are cheaper and longer lifed than PV/ Li.

Re: Random fact about battery storage
On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 17:22:59 +1000, keithr0 wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

IMU, wave energy systems always end up as broken equipment.


Site Timeline