Raising money by collecting mobile telephone? How?

How can you raise money by collecting mobile telephones?
According to a post in a re-useit list, some school is doing it.
I'm intrigued about the economics of collectng toxic waste, particularly
as the list posteris offering to drive over a fair proportion of Sydney
to collect them.

Or should I just report the poster to  the shadowy guys as a terrorist
collecting materials for remote detonation devices? {:-).

Re: Raising money by collecting mobile telephone? How?

I guess if it "sounds green" or like "recycling"
everyone will crawl all over it, Similar to the CFL "scam"

Maybe they will ride bicycles/walk all over sydney to collect them  :)

Even that will still result in them ultimately eating more food to
provide the human power
and more "greenhouse gas" will be "emitted" in the process.  You cant
win

------------

What they might want to to is extract the gold from the electronics -
that might
be more worthwhile with the current prices. How much you would get per
phone
is another matter

Re: Raising money by collecting mobile telephone? How?

A little OT, this link has WEEE scrap prices in Europe, some to component
level, interesting for a look.

http://euro.recycle.net/a/3020.html?affilid10%0000

our kids school collected some mobiles for kindy/preschool play props. Most
of the phones are better than mine....

Site Timeline