radio transmitter - licencing

I have a wireless digital clock system, whereby a master digital clock
periodically broadcasts an RF synchronising signal which is received by a
number of slave clocks with RF receivers. The transmitter is 25 watt. Do I
need to have an ACMA issued licence to use the system? How do I go about
obtaining one?

Re: radio transmitter - licencing

"bemw"

 **   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      You sure about that ?

 **  Such a powerful transmitter in very unlikely to be licence free.

**  May well be NO way for you to get a licence for that.

 Much depends on the  *operating frequency * and hence likelihood of
interference to other users of the radio spectrum.

 You need to come up with the full story and details of the device.

........  Phil

Re: radio transmitter - licencing

Phil, thanks for your comments. I'm sure the transmitter is 25 watts. See
the product sheet here
http://www.brgprecision.com/image2/spec_wireless.pdf I was told that the
25-Watt system is ideal for a manufacturing facility, medium sized
healthcare facility or a large school facility, which is what I have.
Depending on the construction, layout and features of the facility, a
25-Watt transmitter should cover from 100,000 square feet to 500,000 square
feet. (100,000 sq. ft is about 10,000 sq. m, or about the size of 2 football
fields.) It is UHF and operates at 464.650 Mhz.

Re: radio transmitter - licencing

"bemw"

** That frequency is used by commercial operators and others for two way
communication in Australia.

 By all means contact the ACMA for their opinion, but you are probably out
of luck.

 http://www.acma.gov.au/ACMAINTER.917796:HOMEPAGE::pc=HOME

........   Phil

Re: radio transmitter - licencing

Sure it's not 25 mW (milliwatts)?  That would cover a couple of football
fields at least.

For that low power, you'd need to check with the ACA whether it qualifies as
a 'Low Interference Potential Device' or for a 'class licence'.

Even 25mW on the wrong frequency can easily cause interference to others.

Re: radio transmitter - licencing

OK,

It looks like you have purchased or about to purchase this RF clock system
which is specified for the USA.

Even the data sheet says it must be FCC approved.

FCC  does not equal Australian ACMA approval.

Australia has different frequency band regulations... about 5% of these line
up wit the USA FCC regulations... and the other 95% are illegal in
Australia.

Joe