Radio Shack bankrupt

Fond memories of Tandy, it's how I got my start in computers and electronics too. Dave posted a video on the EEVBlog for those interested.

Time to fire up a model 1 and CoCo to to relive the glory years.

Reply to
Clocky

90 years of history gone, but, in the US, they had gone the same way as Dick Smith has here, but at least they had a few bits of hobby stuff hidden down the back.
Reply to
keithr

Same here (though most of my electronic purchases back then were from Dick Smith).

Also my first foray into retail, back in the days when Tandy meant something. I still have several thousand InterTAN shares which were given as a staff incentive, now worth far less than the paper they're printed on.

Radio Shack should've learnt from the collapse of Tandy in Australia and InterTAN in general - you can't replace in-house quality brands with el-cheapo/el-crappo stuff and still charge an arm and a leg for them. Similarly, you can't replace experienced & knowledgable staff with ex-K-Mart "salespeople" and expect to turn a profit.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom