Question on old discussion

A while ago someone was discussing a gigantic multistory cheap
electronic warehouse or shopping centre in Hongkong or China or somesuch
Could you please repost it? as someone I know is off overseas and is
interested.

Re: Question on old discussion

"Fuckwit  Murtz"

** FFS  go to Google Groups Advanced Search.

Enter "hong kong" and " aus.electronics " in the appropriate boxes.

You lazy shit.

....  Phil

Re: Question on old discussion

Monkok computer centre above Monkok MTR
Wanchai computer centre above Wanchai MTR
Golden Computer Centre - do Google search for location.

If you are interested in components/test equipment etc visit WECL 201 Apilu
Street, Sham Shui Po. A stroll along this street is something to be seen!

Been to all of them several times.

JERD

Re: Question on old discussion

Thanks for the suggestions they are helpful but I was looking for the
one that was discussed in glowing terms on this group a while back by a
few people and googling will give a selection not the specific one

Re: Question on old discussion

I provided the original post.
Over the years they vary, and I have been visiting them for 15+ years.
When I was there in April this year the best one was the Mongkok Computer
Centre.
Some years back it was the Golden Computer Centre.
JERD

Re: Question on old discussion

The discussion mentioned every conceivable sort of electronic gizmos,are
both of those like that?

Re: Question on old discussion

Gizmos can mean all sorts of things.
Must have been someone elses input to the post.

Re: Question on old discussion

Thanks for info so far,I wish I could remember original discussion but
it may have been last year,It could be one of the ones mentioned.
What I mean is not only computers, The place I seem to remember
discussed had all sorts of things electronic including components.

Re: Question on old discussion

Did you pehaps mean Akihabara, the electronics heart of Tokyo?
look here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akihabara

Was famous when i visited back in 1985 and I believe still is.

John G.

Re: Question on old discussion

Akihabara of old was a fantastic place, when I first went there in 1980,
the prices were 30% of Australian prices, and you could buy anything
electronic there. Today the price differential would be no where near
what it was, the dollar was 270 yen then rather than the 80 odd that it
is today. It was easy to understand how Dick Smith became a millionaire.
It is 15 years since I was last there, but I hear that it is only a
shadow of what it was. the old market area where little stalls sold one
particular type of component have been re-developed and the main
business is anime fantasy shops.

That said, if I go back to Tokyo again, I'll head straight there to see
how  it has changed.

Re: Question on old discussion

Please re-read my original reply to your post.

<quote>
If you are interested in components/test equipment etc visit WECL
201 Apilu Street, Sham Shui Po. A stroll along this street is something to
be
seen!
<Unquote>

A lot cheaper than available here in Oz! Huge variety.

Re: Question on old discussion

Went to all those places 3 months ago, very interesting to wander
around, but I wouldn't say that the prices are enormously cheaper
though, especially for computer parts. I bought a video card at Mon Kok,
it was cheaper than at home but not a great difference.

Apliu street is something else - guys fixing mobile phones through
microscopes to component level in street stalls! Amazing! but I didn't
find too much to buy, just some little things, and you have to watch for
fakes like the "200mW laser" that didn't even warm the skin on the back
of my hand. Lots of $100 fake iPhones if that is your thing.

Re: Question on old discussion

Anyone tried this? They say they ship world wide.

http://www.weclonline.com/eng/about_company_profile.asp

Re: Question on old discussion

That's the place mentioned above in my post. Great place to visit.
Have never used their mail order service though.

JERD

Re: Question on old discussion

**Akihabara in Japan is well worth a visit. Sim Lim Tower in Singapore is
fairly impressive and some good bargains to be found. Dunno about HK (I saw
nothing when I was there, but I didn't look very hard) or China.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Question on old discussion

Thanks.

Re: Question on old discussion

I think that the place that you are after is the Shenzhen electronics
centre in Mainland China.

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/shenzhen

More about the same place

http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p14%7