Question on old discussion

A while ago someone was discussing a gigantic multistory cheap electronic warehouse or shopping centre in Hongkong or China or somesuch Could you please repost it? as someone I know is off overseas and is interested.

Reply to
F Murtz

"Fuckwit Murtz"

** FFS go to Google Groups Advanced Search.

Enter "hong kong" and " aus.electronics " in the appropriate boxes.

You lazy shit.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Monkok computer centre above Monkok MTR Wanchai computer centre above Wanchai MTR Golden Computer Centre - do Google search for location.

If you are interested in components/test equipment etc visit WECL 201 Apilu Street, Sham Shui Po. A stroll along this street is something to be seen!

Been to all of them several times.

JERD

Reply to
JERD

Thanks for the suggestions they are helpful but I was looking for the one that was discussed in glowing terms on this group a while back by a few people and googling will give a selection not the specific one

Reply to
F Murtz

I provided the original post. Over the years they vary, and I have been visiting them for 15+ years. When I was there in April this year the best one was the Mongkok Computer Centre. Some years back it was the Golden Computer Centre. JERD

Reply to
JERD

The discussion mentioned every conceivable sort of electronic gizmos,are both of those like that?

Reply to
F Murtz

Gizmos can mean all sorts of things. Must have been someone elses input to the post.

Reply to
JERD

Thanks for info so far,I wish I could remember original discussion but it may have been last year,It could be one of the ones mentioned. What I mean is not only computers, The place I seem to remember discussed had all sorts of things electronic including components.

Reply to
F Murtz

Did you pehaps mean Akihabara, the electronics heart of Tokyo? look here

Was famous when i visited back in 1985 and I believe still is.

John G.

Reply to
John G

Please re-read my original reply to your post.

If you are interested in components/test equipment etc visit WECL

201 Apilu Street, Sham Shui Po. A stroll along this street is something to be seen!

A lot cheaper than available here in Oz! Huge variety.

Reply to
JERD

Anyone tried this? They say they ship world wide.

David Eather

That's the place mentioned above in my post. Great place to visit. Have never used their mail order service though.

JERD

Reply to
JERD

Akihabara of old was a fantastic place, when I first went there in 1980, the prices were 30% of Australian prices, and you could buy anything electronic there. Today the price differential would be no where near what it was, the dollar was 270 yen then rather than the 80 odd that it is today. It was easy to understand how Dick Smith became a millionaire. It is 15 years since I was last there, but I hear that it is only a shadow of what it was. the old market area where little stalls sold one particular type of component have been re-developed and the main business is anime fantasy shops.

That said, if I go back to Tokyo again, I'll head straight there to see how it has changed.

Reply to
keithr

Went to all those places 3 months ago, very interesting to wander around, but I wouldn't say that the prices are enormously cheaper though, especially for computer parts. I bought a video card at Mon Kok, it was cheaper than at home but not a great difference.

Apliu street is something else - guys fixing mobile phones through microscopes to component level in street stalls! Amazing! but I didn't find too much to buy, just some little things, and you have to watch for fakes like the "200mW laser" that didn't even warm the skin on the back of my hand. Lots of $100 fake iPhones if that is your thing.

Reply to
keithr

**Akihabara in Japan is well worth a visit. Sim Lim Tower in Singapore is fairly impressive and some good bargains to be found. Dunno about HK (I saw nothing when I was there, but I didn't look very hard) or China.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Thanks.

Reply to
F Murtz

I think that the place that you are after is the Shenzhen electronics centre in Mainland China.

keithr

keithr