Question from Canada - Silicon Chip Oct and Nov 1989

Can anybody get me this article from Silicon Chip?
I don't want to pay $26 because it is probably outdated technology by now.
But I thought it may be a good starting point.
If anybody knows of an article to build a motorcycle intercom I'd
appreciate a link - Thank you.

This is the response from the magazine.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Photocopies of Silicon Chip construction project articles are available
from Silicon Chip Publications for $AUD13.00 each including airmail P&P
(outside Australia), ie $AUD26.00 for the complete project (in two parts).

See attached order form etc.

Kind regards
READER SERVICES

Re: Question from Canada - Silicon Chip Oct and Nov 1989

  I've been thinking about this for some time now, and wanted something more
reasonably priced.

  A friend bought a whiz-bang noise cancelling wired unit, but for big bucks.
  Performance was impressive enough, pity price wasn't.

  My idea was to use simple headphone amps (I'm sure there are some suitable
kits around for that) and the throat mics from Jaycar.

  I already have moulded ear headphones (the only way to travel on a bike IMO)
and the throat mics will lose the wind noise problem.

  Involves some DIY, but compared to the work you have to put in routing
cables and such, it's not bad.
  The most expensive part of this exercise would be the waterproof connectors.

  I have some of the bits, but, due to the fact that I carry a pillion once
every six months or so (for short trips) it seems hardly worthwhile.

  Another option that involves little or no effort (ok, no effort) is to use
the jaycar throat mics as-is (comes with one earbud earphone), with a 40
channel UHF radio in VOX mode, along with your pillion who has the same, and
bingo.
  Aside from the occasional yobbo on that channel telling you to get stuffed,
it would probably be the cheapest and by far the _easiest_ way to do it.
  Best of all, bike-bike communication is effectively a built-in feature.

  Of course you need a rocket-scientist degree to work out the cryptic menus
to use the radios, but hey, it's cheap and easy.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Question from Canada - Silicon Chip Oct and Nov 1989

GET AWAY

I don't want to pay
"because it is probably outdated technology by now".

Re: Question from Canada - Silicon Chip Oct and Nov 1989

  What are you talking about "outdated"?  It's a bleedin' transistor amplifier
for crying out loud.

  What developments have been made that make it "outdated"?  Has something
better that silicon been devised?  Has the design changed enough to warrant
the increase in cost and performance where you can't tell the difference
within a motorcycle helmet anyway?

  What he *might* mean, is _features_.  And in any case, rest assured that ANY
features he sees today in these boxes have already been invented many years ago.
  And I don't even think that, because he mentioned Silicon Chip Magazine,
he's probably looking at the cheaper end of the range anyway - so the real
fancy features are irrelevant.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Question from Canada - Silicon Chip Oct and Nov 1989

They will try anything for "free"

you work it out, you start building it from scratch with trail & error it
would cost a hella lot more that $26
Why should we screw Silicon Chip they need the money to keep the magazine
alive, otherwise everyone will get nothing to read

[...]

Why build, you can buy one for $30+postage on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/UNIVERSAL-MOTORCYCLE-FULL-OPEN-HELMET-HEADSET-INTERCOM_W0QQitemZ330160257330QQihZ014QQcategoryZ32628QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Comes with the headsets and everything.

Dave.

Re: Question from Canada - Silicon Chip Oct and Nov 1989

Yes I've seen that but the reviews say they are quite noisy.
I was hoping to have something to start with and design a bandpass filter
to get some of the noise out or leave just enough speech to be
understandable.

Thanks for the idea.

Site Timeline