Question for Sylvia: Splitting AV output - Page 4

Re: Question for Sylvia: Splitting AV output

  True audiophiles use vinyl and tubes!

  But for *me*, 4BH at 32 Kbps (WMP format) is just fine! :-)

Re: Question for Sylvia: Splitting AV output

If the quantised approximation is close enough, you cannot hear the difference,
and it does have the advantage of perfect copyability and identical repeat
playings.

Re: Question for Sylvia: Splitting AV output

And an "analog" tape recording is only "quantised" to the magentic particle
size anyway, and "sampled" at the high frequency bias rate! :-)
Not that an audiophool would understand that irony.

Trevor.

Re: Question for Sylvia: Splitting AV output

**Typical bias frequencies lie about 110kHz for most tape systems. A
frequency which is well in excess of a 16/44 digital system. According
to Nyquist, that tells us a theoretical maximum frequency response in
excess of 50kHz. Well past 16/44 digital.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Question for Sylvia: Splitting AV output

The original argument was sampling and quantisation didn't exist in analog
recording, not that the sample rate may be higher, or in fact lower than the
24/192 systems readily availble these days.

Trevor.

Re: Question for Sylvia: Splitting AV output

**Bollocks.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Question for Sylvia: Splitting AV output

"Good quality" audio leads are a crock, like gold-plated connectors. Plain
copper wires do a perfectly good job.

Re: Question for Sylvia: Splitting AV output

That shows how much you know then

rgds,

Pete
Re: Question for Sylvia: Splitting AV output

I thought all you needed was low resistance. You can get that with plain copper
wire of reasonable thickness and as short as possible. In the end, can you hear
the difference?

Re: Question for Sylvia: Splitting AV output
copper
hear

I guess it depends on what equipment you have. I tested various leads on
my audio system years ago and could hear differences between leads. I
even tried household electrical cable, and that can work well as a cheap
alternative. It also depends on the length, as you say. You might not
notice the/much difference between leads if they are very short. Even if
there's no difference in audio quality there can be tonal differences,
which can decide a users preference. I must confess however that I
missed that you were referring specifically to audio leads, since the
discussion was originally about A/V equipment. In the case of quality vs
cheap video leads the difference is very noticeable. I can even see the
difference between the various grades of Monster cable that I use. And
It comes down a lot to experimentation also, and compatibilities due to
differing specifications between various brands- assuming you have a
mixture from different makers as many ppl do. For example I get the best
picture with Monster cable level 1 leads with my Foxtel IQ box. If I use
higher grade the picture is actually worse, because the signal level
becomes too high.

--
rgds,

Pete
Re: Question for Sylvia: Splitting AV output

Okay, but others have not heard the difference.
http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/2849/do-expensive-premium-speaker-cables-actually-make-a-difference
http://home.provide.net/~djcarlst/abx_wire.htm

Re: Question for Sylvia: Splitting AV output

http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/2849/do-expensive-premium-speaker-cables-actually-make-a-difference

That's the beauty of uncontrolled tests conducted by themselves with
significant time gaps and all. You can delude yourself into any result you
like, but as long as you are happy, all is fine. When they claim their self
biased *opinion* to the world as fact though, they look like the idiots that
they are.
However there *are* differences in cables of course, using long lengths of
bell wire with giant amps is silly, and some interconnects have significant
inductance or capacitance that can cause problems in some cases. But the
biggest difference is usually the mechanical qualities.

Trevor.

Re: Question for Sylvia: Splitting AV output

Right, poor quality ones are often mechanically unreliable. Of course good
quality ones are not as expensive as the "magic smoke and mirror" ones :-)

Trevor.

Re: Question for Sylvia: Splitting AV output

The point of gold plating is that gold is a soft metal that doesn't
oxidise, which helps ensure a consistent connection. I've had enough
trouble with poor audio connections to recognise the benefit of that. If
course, better still is a screw clamped connector.

Sylvia.

Re: Question for Sylvia: Splitting AV output

Yes, gold plating is very useful in electronics to ensure that good contact is
maintained, but you don't need it for speakers. I think my speakers have
gold-plated screw clamps. Looks nice, but the gold is unnecessary.

Re: Question for Sylvia: Splitting AV output

**Not only unnecessary, but actually bad. Gold plating is necessarily
very tin and provides a poor choice for speaker connectors. Silver,
which can be plated far more thickly, is a far better choice. It's
superior conductivity is also a bonus.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Question for Sylvia: Splitting AV output

**That would be: "....very THIN..."

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Question for Sylvia: Splitting AV output

Just as well you corrected that. I wondered what tin had to do with this.

Re: Question for Sylvia: Splitting AV output

But needs to be kept clean as the tarnish film that can form is not such a
good conductor.

Trevor.

Re: Question for Sylvia: Splitting AV output

**Silver easily forms a silver sulphide, which is highly conductive.
Silver oxide does not form easily. In any case, the reason for using
silver lies with it's ability to be thickly and robustly plated on high
current connectors. Something RF engineers have known for decades.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Site Timeline