Quality of DSE soldering supplies

Just been helping some students assemble some electronics projects: We'd bought the Dick Smith branded "Digitor resin (sic) cored solder type 35" and the Dick Smith branded "Super Solder Wick" cat No N2814.

To cut a long story short, neither product works very well: The solder can't wet the shiny nickel plated terminals on the binding posts that DSE sells probably because of the passivation used to keep the metal shiny after being handled by grubby hands and the solder wick can't mop up solder very well as it was made without rosin being applied to the wick.

Once I brought out some much older DSE solder made by Multicore and Soder-Wick made by Chemtronics the soldering became possible.

The whole problem was caused by three distinct products not being quite good enough for the purpose they were sold for. It seems that the cost cutting, "Near enough is good enough" attitude adds up and compounds the difficulty of getting started with electronics.

I'd compare these items with the cheap discount store goods where you know you are taking a risk, a bit like the cheap epoxy I bought that never hardens past a sticky, jelly-like consistency.

For someone starting in electronics this would be a great way of discouraging them as they couldn't solder properly with this stuff and would conclude the fault lay with them instead and go back to playing their Playstation.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

I've consistently found problems soldering to "nickel-plated" binding posts etc as the plating seems resistant to wetting even with decent solder. I've usually resorted to abrading much of the plating off the target area, exposing the underlying steel, and get a better result.

Not entirely surprising.

There is NO QC on such goods. The Woolies (DSE) buyers, like their cousins at Jaycar and Altronics (and probably the rest of the low-end), source on price alone. If some chinese backyard supplier is cheaper, he gets this month's order.

Yep. Some time back, someone posted seeking a recommendation for a soldering iron etc for a ten(?)-y-o nephew wanting to start in electronics. The best way to keep his interest would be a decent iron, the quick way to lose him would be a cheapie.

Regrettably a lot of the components that we could buy readily yesteryear have disappeared in the face of competition from cheap crap. As an example, Sato used to do a series of fully enclosed miniature rotary switches (n pole, 12/ n position) where the body was less than 1cm in diameter. The nearest I could find a couple of years back in Australia was >$100 from Farkenell.

Reply to
budgie

I agree. Unfortunately the only way out of this is to fork out the $$ from somwehere like Farnell etc (jaycar etc might be ok, but we don't have them locally). The good side to this is that buying excellent tools, that won't let you down and they will still be with you in 10 years, and in some cases for life.

As for solder, you can buy excellent solder in about 4 thicknesses from Haymans trade counter. the larger 2 probably arent much good for electronics, but most of them stock the small diameter stuff we need.

I havent had trouble soldering to anything with this solder.

Reply to
kreed

Yep, the DSE branded solder wick is crap.

I by the other branded stuff either at DSE, Jayar or else where.

I still have a 10 year old "Classic" Auto Temp Station - Still going strong.

Yes, low dollar items often do not get refunded when they are not "fit for purpose", ether because of the time, or petrol effort to get back to the store. Hence the Solder Wick puchasing manager in DSE head office doesn't get to hear about his poor quality products.

BUT perhaps filling out a 2minute feedback form would help vent your anger about this issue

DSE feedback form

Perhaps if 20 people on this forum filled out the forum DSE may take some notice.

There's power in the masses!

Joe

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

"Joe G (Home)"

** The problem with that useless " dry " wick has been known to DSE staff for over 30 years.

Complaints have been filed.

Get the idea yet ?

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Of course they dont get it. They will keep going back for more to save a couple of dollars then continue to whine about it.

Reply to
Two Bob

got stuck myself today, had 2" of wick left, needed to do some work, didnt have time to goto jaycar so went to dickies, needless to say i'll be going to jaycar and buying 2 packs at my next possible moment!

Reply to
What The