Qantas Incident & laptops

I wouldn't totally dismiss it. A330s don't do that all on their own.

Do you know what EMC is ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

And how will 'maintence' corrupt the FMC/FMS ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I know that but ordinary maintenance won't affect the integrity of the flight computers. Hence it's virtually a dead cert it's not that.

EMC is a REAL issue.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Why will they never learn ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Wouldn't help. They can't get out any faster than you can and plug doors in a presurised cabin won't open at any decent altitude.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

What's the betting is was some cheap Chinese laptop that's never passed any EMC tests ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

That system has been specially designed to operate at very low power. Plus it's in a restricted bandwidth for which effective EMC precautions can be taken, i.e. purpose designed for the job.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Prove it. What's your qualification in electro-magnetic compatability btw ?

No, because they are purpose designed not to you clown !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I've had to do this in the US before, and not just for airplanes but public buildings as well. If you have a flat battery then you ain't getting through.

Interestingly though, the smaller the notebook the less they care. I took a tiny Fuji sub-notebook through 15 airports on a trip once and if memory serves me correctly I only got stopped once. I took it out the first few times but learned to not bother when they said it wasn't a notebook almost every time. I guess they are trained to think notebook=big.

I've been busted with water before at Sydney airport, one of those tiny complementary bottles I forgot was in there. It was picked up by the XRAY machine, but I've never been busted with large *empty* bottles which I fill up on the other side.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

computers. Hence

In theory, yes. But isn't it strange then how millions of people use countless different electronic items, including phones and notebooks on every flight (how many thousands per day?), and AFAIK there hasn't been a single incident proven to be related to use of electronic items by passengers.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Pigs. That attitude seems to be behind a lot of crashes/mishaps, then they invesigate and refine the maintenance schedule.

I'll chase EMC a millin years after I stop testing the flight computer system. Ask anyone who used a computer proggie based on OO principles.

Reply to
terryc

Exactly! The recommendation to fasten your seatbelt whilst seated is plainly printed in the back of the tray tables in economy class. It is also verbally communicated to passengers during the safety demonstration before the flight takes off. Most safety cards also have this recommendation printed on them.

The mere fact that some passengers choose to ignore this advice doesn't surprise me at all. I take about 5 - 6 flights per month and no matter how often the point is raised and even if the seatbelt light is illuminated, some fuckwits just don't get the message. This includes the situation where the aircraft has landed and is still on the runway. The seatbelt sign is still illuminated, but the idiot fringe still insist on getting out of their seats, getting hand luggage out of the overhead lockers and trying to make their way down the aisle to the exit whilst the aircraft is still moving . What macaroons!

When an incident occurs and these fuckwits get injured, they are the first to go screaming to the media and getting on their mobile phones calling their lawyers to arrange a compensation claim.

Safety procedures are in place to ensure the safety of ALL passengers and crew on an aircraft. It only takes a handful of people not prepared to participate in applying those procedures to compromise the safety of others.

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

Face it TT. Would anyone be game enough to pick on you, at an airport or anywhere else for that matter? :P :-)

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

"Alan Rutlidge" >> laptop itself, when I have a huge array of other

These Turks all carry sub-machine guns! And thats just the police!

*IF* they are carrying automatic weapons then I guess so ;-)

Cheers Terry

Reply to
TT

They're looking at the autopilot now.

dmm

But they don't seem to know what it means...

Reply to
TomTom

That would be exactly what you'd expect if it was an EMC incident.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Latest:

Perth - spooky!

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

But it could never be a fault of the plane:

I like the casual response from airbus. I would not be happy of I was pinned to the roof of an A330 and ended up with some broken bones.

Reply to
The Real Andy

More at the ATSB site:

Bob Parker