Qantas Incident & laptops - Page 2

Re: Qantas Incident & laptops

And make sure it's one of the new hacker-proof ones:
http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID21%0800287

Dave.

Re: Qantas Incident & laptops

http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/qantas-plunge-laptop-link/2008/10/09/1223145494293.html

At the end of August I flew Emirates to Europe and they were
advertising that soon they would offer in flight net access
and mobile phone support via satellite.

Now my question is "If these planes are so susceptible to
all this electronic radiation then why would they install
wireless networks on their planes?"  Also, do Emirates and
Qantas buy different planes?  No they don't.

Cheers TT

Re: Qantas Incident & laptops

Because it's not a problem, never has been.
And technical people who know don't get to make the decisions, ever.
It's easier to ban something than allow it.
Same reason why they still put "turn off your mobile phone" warning
stickers on petrol pumps.

Dave.

Re: Qantas Incident & laptops

Perhaps I should have made it clearer it was a rhetorical question ;-)
Also has it ever occurred to anyone that the actual plane has some quite
powerful radars, radio beacons and transmitters of it's own and these
seemingly don't hinder the planes operation at all.  Oh and throw in an
array of microwave ovens, DVD and other media players, sat-navs and other
sundry electronic devices.  Not to mention they also regularly get hit by
lightening while flying around and yet a pissy little no watt laptop will
cause it to crash?!!!!  Yes, it's a joke.

I loved the Myth Busters one where they tested that - and failed.

Cheers TT

Re: Qantas Incident & laptops

Prove it. What's your qualification in electro-magnetic compatability btw ?

No, because they are purpose designed not to you clown !

Graham

Re: Qantas Incident & laptops

http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/qantas-plunge-laptop-link/2008/10/09/1223145494293.html

That system has been specially designed to operate at very low power. Plus it's
in a
restricted bandwidth for which effective EMC precautions can be taken, i.e.
purpose designed
for the job.

Graham

Re: Qantas Incident & laptops

  Good, they can stow my entire bag for me then.  I travel tech heavy, and
usually just throw a few clothes into the laptop case if it's going to be a
short trip.  The rest are assorted attachments, peripherals, whatnot etc.

  I've always wondered why they want me to take out the laptop itself, when I
have a huge array of other electronic shit in the bag too.

  Once on the plane, and they ask what electronic shit I have, I just hand
them my entire bag. It's got to be easier than emptying the thing out.

  Where are they going to put all my shit?

  The overhead compartment where I was going to put it in the first place?

  Or are they collecting before boarding, where they stow with normal luggage?
  So they're liable when laptops start coming back bent in half because the
baggage handlers threw it in frustration because they didn't find a camel head?
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Qantas Incident & laptops

luggage?
the

Liable? Good luck trying to actually get compensation!
Hope you have (and can afford) a good lawyer.

MrT.

Re: Qantas Incident & laptops

I have just come back from Europe and at Istanbul airport for the first time
ever I saw that laptops were not only scanned/checked separately *BUT* we
were made to actually turn them on to prove they were an operational laptop!
I have never seen this before.

Talk about congestion then!  All these people at the end of the queue
waiting while these bloody things shut down again.  Oh and putting their
shoes and socks back on, and putting their mobile phones away etc, etc
:-(  I felt very safe though :-)

BTW it was my daughter's laptop that was checked and my bag had in it
rechargers, mobile phone, cameras x 2, wallet, hat, sunnies, pens, note
books, Creative Zen Touch, Sensheiser noise cancelling headphones etc,
etc...... Oh and a 500ml bottle of water they allowed through to the plane.
Now that  I thought was strange.  Perhaps I just don't look like a terrorist
I guess ;-)

Cheers TT

Re: Qantas Incident & laptops

I've had to do this in the US before, and not just for airplanes but
public buildings as well.
If you have a flat battery then you ain't getting through.

Interestingly though, the smaller the notebook the less they care.
I took a tiny Fuji sub-notebook through 15 airports on a trip once and
if memory serves me correctly I only got stopped once. I took it out
the first few times but learned to not bother when they said it wasn't
a notebook almost every time.
I guess they are trained to think notebook=big.

I've been busted with water before at Sydney airport, one of those
tiny complementary bottles I forgot was in there. It was picked up by
the XRAY machine, but I've never been busted with large *empty*
bottles which I fill up on the other side.

Dave.

Re: Qantas Incident & laptops

Face it TT.  Would anyone be game enough to pick on you, at an airport or
anywhere else for that matter? :P  :-)

Re: Qantas Incident & laptops

in message

These Turks all carry sub-machine guns!  And thats just the
police!

*IF* they are carrying automatic weapons then I guess so ;-)

Cheers Terry

Re: Qantas Incident & laptops

http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/qantas-plunge-laptop-link/2008/10/09/1223145494293.html

What's the betting is was some cheap Chinese laptop that's never passed any EMC
tests ?

Graham

Re: Qantas Incident & laptops

http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/qantas-plunge-laptop-link/2008/10/09/1223145494293.html

I wouldn't totally dismiss it. A330s don't do that all on their own.

Do you know what EMC is ?

Graham

Re: Qantas Incident & laptops
On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 17:30:22 +0100, Eeyore

http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/qantas-plunge-laptop-link/2008/10/09/1223145494293.html

They're looking at the autopilot now.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2008/10/10/1223145623152.html

Re: Qantas Incident & laptops
http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/qantas-plunge-laptop-link/2008/10/09/1223145494293.html

But they don't seem to know what it means...

Re: Qantas Incident & laptops

http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/qantas-plunge-laptop-link/2008/10/09/1223145494293.html

That would be exactly what you'd expect if it was an EMC incident.

Graham

Re: Qantas Incident & laptops

Latest:
http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24499849-15306,00.html
http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,26058,24499708-5014090,00.html

Perth - spooky!

Dave.

Re: Qantas Incident & laptops

Your second link doesn't seem to work.

Incidentally the 'air data inertial reference unit' is also a 'computer' so
EMC issues still can't be ruled out. They've just narrowed it down. I expect
it sits in the avionics bay which is usually more or less just below the
pilots.

Graham

Re: Qantas Incident & laptops

Yeah, but it ain't a mobile phone, laptop, or some kid playing his
PSP. That's a crock.

Lots of issues with Perth, something funny going on there...

Dave.

Site Timeline