Qantas and WA again

As mentioned a few months back, something strange is going on with Qantas planes and WA, and it's happening again:

This is getting spooky.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

If the HEH base is the cause, then them thar Airbussen must be particularly sensitive. All sorts of aircraft use Learmonth on a regular (and irregular) basis without having these hiccups.

Reply to
rebel

"David L. Jerkoff"

** Must be another " Bermuda Triangle" type of thing.

Maybe we ought to call it the " Carnarvon Pentangle " or some such.

The HMAS Sydney went done there, with all hands, back in 1941,

you know .....

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Perhaps you might try personal exploration in person philthy , we hope you don't return you kiddie fiddler

Reply to
atec77

What's the HEH base ? And have these incidents been in its vicinity ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

A Yanky submarine comms base:

200km, near enough for the Authorities to at least consider it:

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Giant octopus, aliens, or those pesky Krauts you think?

BTW, the memorial is nice:

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Having lived in Carnarvon, I can believe anything of the place. After all that is where Wilson Tuckey got his start in politics.

Keith

Reply to
keithr

US NavComSta Harold E Holt.

The latest incident was cited by ATSB's release

as 350NM S of Learmonth. From memory that is about 40k south of HEH, so that's about 690km as the crow flies from the plane to the antenna array.

Reply to
rebel

ly

ular)

Where's Tom Moffat when you need him. He was pretty good at coming up with theories on these things (IE: HAARP transmissions article in the late EA.)

Reply to
kreed

Sadly, he's gone:

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

irregular)

Thanks. I did find it eventually by using google.com.au.

I'm intruiged though. It's low frequency. 30kHz IIRC. I wouldn't normally expect that to upset computer systems. The wavelength's too long. And I'd expect the airframe to be a good EMC shield at that frequency. But you never know. Hmmm ... how much of the A330 body is composites instead of aluminium alloy ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

particularly

irregular)

You mean the antenna's nowhere near the base ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Add to that the fact that the radiation resistance of the antennas at those stations is very low indeed, despite their large size. The HEH Tx is about

1MW but the actual far field radiation is only a few percent of that, ie. a few 10s of KW. That makes it no more powerful, effectively, than a normal broadcast station.
Reply to
Bruce Varley

particularly

irregular)

that's

The antenna array is adjacent the base (at Exmouth), which is ~40km from Learmonth.

Reply to
rebel

particularly

irregular)

that's

The Exmouth base transmits at Very Low Frequencies. Only an uneducated or uninformed person would believe it could interfere with a planes controls.

Reply to
Davo

It beggars belief that even the most poorly trained designer would leave an aircraft's controls susceptible to radio fields when we have so many of them, natural (eg lightning) and unnatural (such as the various facilities discussed). The news media will now utter the usual pseudo-science that does so much harm -- eg 'lightning never strikes the same place twice' or 'magnets in blankets proven to cure rheumatism'!

Reply to
MoiInAust

particularly

irregular)

that's

Not necessarily the case. Shielding of the electronics by the aircraft skin and frame will be less effective at VLF frequencies, so while I am rather sceptical that HEH is the trigger (more on the basis of distance and power levels) I would never say never.

Besides, we also have to look at the "French factor". Remember the air show crash (different Airbus model) where the software decided to land when the pilot clearly had other plans for his day? Some say French logic is an oxymoron.

Reply to
rebel

Ad an experienced person would be having a quiet chuckle at your post. Could you tell me the location of the big hangar where they test all aircraft for exposure to various EMF? We should be able to see it on google earth.

Reply to
terryc

Does it? Modern management technique is to regard any employee as "hire tools" and take the lowest price. It is exactly the scenario that can lead to susceptible equipment.

Reply to
terryc