Q: Make an amplifier battery powered?

Hi. I want to purchase a really nice acoustic amp, for street performance. I've tried all the various busker amps available, the Crate Taxi, the Fender Amp-Can, but unfortunately they're not good enough for the sort of stuff I want to do. There's the AER Compact Mobile, which is good enough, but far too expensive IMO.

I'm considering the Roland AC-60

Unfortunately, it's not battery powered.

Is my only option, therefore, to carry around a big car battery and an inverter?

Somebody told me that on some amps you can get technician to bypass the power supply, so you can run it off batteries. Is that plausible?

--
token signature
Reply to

Not really unless the amp has a low output or a 1 ohm speaker system.

12 volts isn't enough to produce the power levels you'll need.

Auto subwoofer amps use a step-up power supply. I have one here extracted from a 400W car subwoofer amp. The power supply MOSFETs had been blown up by some ignorant modifications to the amp, but that wasn't hard to fix. It uses a TL494 SMPS chip, as many computer power supplies used to. Anyhow, the two pairs of output MOSFETs in the SMPS drive a toroidal transformer in push-pull, with two secondary windings of 2:1 ratio, which produces an output after rectification of +-25 volts from a 13.8 volt input.

I suspect that the amp you like differs only from the ones you don't simply by the quality of the speakers - nothing to do with the amp at all. Consider buying a speaker you like, and driving it from a car sub amp on your battery.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Oh I should add that all these amps come battery powered.

--
token signature
Reply to

" a.WHINGER "

** You really are a COLOSSALLY arrogant, know nothing wanker !!!!!

Jaycar have very compact inverters for under $50 with >90 % efficiency and low standby consumption ( cat M15102) - it weighs under 1kg.

They also have a 12 volt, 18 AH SLA battery for $65 ( cat SB2490 ) - it weighs just over 6 kg.

So all up weight = 7 kg.

Operating time = about 5-6 hours.

Many amps that run from a 12 volt battery have DC-DC inverters INSIDE them - you ASS.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

check out this @ Ebay

hempster

For the sort of power demanded there probably isn't much alternative to a big heavy battery (except maybe a portable generator).

Many buskers adapt car audio equipment to suit their needs, often a stereo graphic equaliser/BTL booster is easy to modify to fit the job, although hard core customisers who like their "1 note honking bass" use low voltage inverters with split rails (about +50V & -50V) and in car power amplifiers designed for this use. The obvious advantage of the setup is that the voltage isn't being transformed up only to be transformed down again so the conversion losses are minimised.

Reply to
ian field