Protel Autotrax - how to make a slot?

Hello,

Does anyone know how to create a slot in the pcb using Protel Autotrax?

I can change the pad shape to "rounded rectangle" but can't change the hole type - it stays circular. Can the hole type be changed to something like "rounded rectangle" also (i.e. a slot and therefore give it x and y dimensions?)

This one has me stumped - any ideas?

Andy

Reply to
Andy

I haven't used it myself as yet but on the RCS website

near the bottom of the page is a reference to EASYHOLE.exe. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find it. If you ask Bob (nicely) he may help you..

Reply to
Ross Herbert

I guess it depends where you want the slot.

I always use the top overlay to mark out the outside dimensions of the board by placing a top overlay "track" where the edge is. If the slot is starting from the edge of the board then I just change the oustide dimension track to show where the slot has to go.

If I wanted a slot inside the board I would use the same top layer tracks to show where the slot is needed.

In either case I would make sure the PCB manufacturer knew what I was doing or perhaps talk to him first and ask him how he wants it done.

Alan

-- Sell your surplus electronic components at

Search or browse for that IC, capacitor, crystal or other component you need.

Reply to
Alan

I don't think there is a "universal' way because it depends heavily on what your board fab's driver software makes of whatever "convention" you establish.

The late Peter Crowcroft (kits'r'us) used one method in Autotrax which is similar to Alan's approach. However he marked it in the keep-out layer, and sent me a sample board layout showing it. Whatever route (ouch!) you choose, make sure your fab understands the requirement - or ask the fab anyway.

Reply to
budgie

"Andy" wrote in news:1147139136.638490.217880 @i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Well, it's been a long time, but as I remember, I used to assign a particular layer to stuff that I wanted routed, then generated the router tape/program from that layer. The drill tape was generated from little circles on another layer.

Back in my day ("we couldn't afford video games, we had to make our own fun, carved space invaders out of wood, etc, etc")...

GB, sorry, I had something else to add there, but the missus came in and picked a fight with me over the federal-bloody-budget or some-effing-thing, and I lost my train of thought!

--
 "Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the
  entrails of the last priest." (Diderot, paraphrasing Meslier)

I'm not sure if Autotrax has mechanical layers, as it's so long since I've use it, but

  1. Create the outline of the board on a mechanical layer using "Place Track", on say "mechanical layer 1"
  2. Create any slots in the board on the same layer using "Place Track", and place text within it saying "SLOT".
  3. Create arcs on the same layer with "Place Arc".
  4. Ensure that the slots and any inside 90 deg corners have an adequate minimum radius for the milling/slot cutting machine.
  5. Pads aren't slots, and shouldn't be confused as such. They're multilayer items.
Reply to
dmm

Thanks for all the replies. Now I know there isn't a "feature" in this software for creating a slot I will stop looking for it! I have researched it a bit more and I think the way Budgie suggested (using the keep-out layer) is probably the way to go.

BTW Budgie - Did you succeed with the "timing light project" ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy

As mentioned earlier, make sure your fab understands your requirement and marking method.

Aaaahhh - THAT Andy ....

Yes I did, many thanks for the hardware AND the polarity pointer. Ye olde device now percolates light a bought one, using the pulse transformer ex TrickieDickies.

Reply to
budgie

my pcb maker uses the keep out layer as the routing path, His route tool is 2.5mm wide so I use a keep out layer width of 2.45mm (so it wont make the tool oscillate in case its 'just on' its width. You can then lay tracks together to make a slot any width or length you want - ie. The keep out layer is the route so it is the slot etc.

Work well for making skeleton route panels,

--
Regards
Mike

Is he local here in Perth, or E/S or O/S?

Reply to
budgie