Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ? - Page 2

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

"JANA"

**  I have a 17 inch CRT monitor.

 It consumes 87 VA  (  360mA rms current draw )

 Power consumption is 56 watts  ( PF = 0.64) .

 Same as your LCD screen.

.......  Phil

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

    I sort-of assumed that everyone would see and follow the link to
that page ....

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

Worldwide the greenie weenies are like terrier dogs - once they get their
teeth into something they won't let go until they get something banned!

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

put finger to keyboard and composed:

I doubt it. I expect that lamps and/or inverters will need to be
replaced within 5 years.

If they push this issue, then hopefully the consumer backlash will
consign them to political oblivion where they belong.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

The lamps in the LCD screens are typically rated to about 50,000 to 60,000
hours. At 12 hours per day use, this should be about 11 to 15 years!  I
would think that the power supply, and other sections of the set will
probably die before the lamps do!

The way that the industry is going, I would think that after about 5 to 7
years, people who bought LCD or Plasma screens will be looking for new ones
just to be up to date. I am sure that the manufactures will find a way to
make their screens be obsolete, and force people to change them.

--

JANA
_____

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

put finger to keyboard and composed:

I have had to fix several LCD monitors. Most had inverter problems.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

In the UK, one newspaper claims that flat screens use up to 4x the energy of
CRT displays and at the current rate of sales will require 2 extra nuclear
power stations.

It sounds a bit exaggerated to me, but we can probably expect similar
restrictions here in the UK before long, and very likely in wider Europe
too.

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

On the other hand arming the consumer with the knowledge may be all thats
needed to make a lot of people turn them off when not actually sitting down
watching, constituting a reduction in energy consumption. It's a stretch,
but given the price of power is on the way up it could just happen.

James

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

I've often wondered how much power Plasma TV's use , was recently in the
local Hardly Normal store and stuck my hand over the copious number of
"vents" down the back of a large Plasma unit - and boy she was warm........

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

A 32 inch Plasma display typically uses about 400 to 500 Watts.  A 50 inch
is typically up at about 600 Watts or more.

Plasma displays were intended more for commercial use, and not for home use.
Because their prices have dropped so much, the consumers started to buy them
for at home.

A Plasma display will last about 2 times the life span of a CRT display. It
has less of an impact on the environment when it is disposed of. There are a
lot less environmentally harmful components in its makeup.

The LCD monitor has everything going for it, except for its contrast ratio,
reaction speed, and viewing angle restrictions.  But, the big thing that is
good about it, is that it pulls typically about 60% less power for the same
size screen. A typical 40 inch LCD screen will pull about 150 Watts.  A 46
inch LCD will typically pull about 200 Watts.  The big part of the power
consumption are the back-plane lamps, and the main processors.

At this point, if LCD screens are banned, this will be the end of
television, and the end of computers!  Lets use our heads about common
sense!

--

JANA
_____

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

<snip>

I've been using an LCD monitor for the last 3 or 4 years. Recently, I
decided to get a new monitor. When I started shopping, I had taken it
for a given that I would get another LCD. After all, they're lighter,
they take up less space, consume less power, they are now ubiquitous,
and you don't feel like your face has got sunburn after a few hours
sitting in front of one, right?

I went into a big box store and they happened to have a cheap, no name
brand CRT monitor sitting in a corner at the end of an aisle
containing dozens of LCDs. That was the only CRT in the entire store.
After spending about half an hour looking at monitors, making sure the
graphic cards were set to match the native resolutions of the LCDs, I
came to the conclusion that the image quality of a CRT (even a low-end
one) is far superior to that of even the best LCDs on the market
today. It's particularly noticeable when viewing photographs. CRTs
have a smoothness that LCDs lack; they're not "grainy" like LCDs.

When you use an LCD day after day, you get used to it and tend not to
notice, but looking at a CRT and an LCD side-by-side, I was stunned at
just how poor the image quality of an LCD actually is. That must be
why many graphic designers still prefer CRTs.

Another advantage of CRTs, I've been told, is that they provide a high
quality display across all the resolutions they are capable of,
whereas LCDs only give their best at their native resolution. That
could be a factor for people who like to switch between different
resolutions.

At any rate, it's a moot point, since it probably won't be possible to
buy a new CRT monitor within a year or two.
--
"Those of us whose brains did not die in college are
actually stunned by just how stupid academic ideas

  Yes, you will, just not at the scale you used to.  CRTs can still do things
that LCDs can't.  Little things like higher resolution and better colour
rendition.
  Little things like that, which the masses with more money than sense don't
want.

  That only leaves the CRT market at the higher end.  Fine with me, as LCD
still doesn't cut it for me.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 08:49:03 +1100, John Tserkezis

want.

Obviously I agree with you about CRTs having unique attributes that
LCDs are likely incapable of reproducing, but my experiences with
trying to find a brand-new CRT monitor in the last few weeks haven't
been encouraging.

I honestly believe, based on what I've seen, that 2 or 3 years from
now there will be as many companies manufacturing CRT monitors as
there are companies manufacturing open-reel analog tape decks today
(that is to say, zero).

I've heard mention of the high end market for CRT monitors a few times
now, but haven't actually come across any high end models for sale
anywhere. Are you sure this market still exists?

I've posted a question relating to CRTs in some other newsgroups, and
it seems photographers, graphic designers, video editors, etc.,  are
either hoarding CRTs or switching to high end LCDs at this point.
You'd think that if high end CRTs were still being made, some would be
switching to those instead.
--
"Those of us whose brains did not die in college are
actually stunned by just how stupid academic ideas
Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

I've often wondered how much power Plasma TV's use , was recently in the
local Hardly Normal store and stuck my hand over the copious number of
"vents" down the back of a large Plasma unit - and boy she was warm........

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

Smarthouse has reported that there is some scepticism about the report.
Apparently the
author (one Keith Jones) is a former GM of Panasonic at Penrith.
http://www.smarthouse.com.au/TVs_And_Large_Display/Industry/A7V5R4G3?page=1

A search of the ASIC database turned this up.
http://www.search.asic.gov.au/cgi-bin/gns030c?state_number=BN98223578&juris=2&hdtext=&srchsrc=1

So he could have a legitimate office somewhere, only not registered with ASIC
'cos someone hasn't gotten
around to it. Or he could simply be sitting on a beach somewhere in the Great
Barrier Reef with a laptop computer
just making shit up.

I think the question should be asked should be "How could this dude get money
from the Australian Greenhouse
Office to create the report when there is no registed address for his business."
No executives for the company
have been available for comment either. Neither in all the press I've seen (and
I admit it's not much) no one
has mentioned the types of tests performed, and on what brand and model CRTs,
LCDs and plasmas, nor
what testing facility was used to determine their efficiency.

The credibility of the report is somewhat suspect.

In other news, you can register a business name, with no address or other
details, and no previous credibility,
and con money out of the Australian Greenhouse Office. I think I'll dream up
some sort of report about the
greenhouse emissions created by powering all the transmitters in Australia, (not
to mention the "possibility'
of damage to DNA at microcellular levels).   ;-)

Better still, how about a report about creating a 5 or 6 star energy efficiency
rating for power stations.

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

"dmm"
http://www.search.asic.gov.au/cgi-bin/gns030c?state_number=BN98223578&juris=2&hdtext=&srchsrc=1

**  The one  " making shit up"  is  YOU  -  wanker.

**  Keith Jones is the chairman of several Australian Standards committees.

    The folk who need to know, do know where he is to be found.

 **  "Digital Cenergy Australia "  is  ** NOT ** a company.

   It is simply a registered business name used by Keith Jones.

**  So what ???????

 Newspapers are not interested in nor have the space to publish technical
details that would bore their readers silly. The paper was presented to the
appropriate forum and will be published soon -  likely to be 100 pages or
more long.

**  The one  " making shit up"  is  YOU  -   wanker.

**  The one  " making shit up"  is  YOU  -  wanker.

    Fuck off.

.......  Phil

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

"dmm"

**  Care to actually read it  ??

 http://www.energyrating.gov.au/library/pubs/200710-tv-meps-labelling.pdf

 All  166  pages.

......   Phil

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

The "ban" on incandescent lamps has all the hallmarks of ill-advised
government and/or vested interest. In the first place, the lighting load of
a home is the very smallest, vastly dwarfed by heating, airconditioning, hot
water etc. In the second, it takes more energy to manufacture flouros and
they are most unfriendly to dispose of. The only lighting load that is
blatantly wasteful if the vast swathes of advertising on city buildings,
which lights up all cities around the world at night. Have we heard anything
about that? No. Maybe vested interest again.

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

It does seem somewhat strange that incandescents have been banned but
not halogens.
Has anyone done a calculation to determine what the alleged power
saving of going to CFLs is , in terms of what percentage of reduction
of total generated power in Australia is.
Id like to see what energy star rating Aluminium Smelters get.

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

"Mauried"

**  Huh ?

You got any proof of this ??

AFAIK  halogen bulbs will get the chop too -  maybe just a little later than
the common ES and BC lamps do.

**  The power saving in watts of electricity consumed is a non issue. The
*overall cost saving* to consumers by using CFLs in place of incandescents
is an issue.

However, to just break even on cost,  a CFL has to last 2000 hours or
re   -   the available evidence says that most will fail to do that in
domestic use.

Far as the dreaded green house gass emissions are concerned - it will make
NO  DIFFERENCE.

Main reason being that a coal fired power station cannot quickly reduce coal
consumption with reduced load. Domestic lighting is used almost entirely at
night, when the demand load on the grid is low and so it does not require
any extra coal consumption to supply it.

......  Phil

Site Timeline