Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

Was talking to a colleague today associated with computer parts
distribution, he mentioned that he has heard rumours of  a "proposed
ban on sales of LCD / Plasma type monitors" for
"environmental" (energy saving) reasons, instead presumably "mandating
CRT type technology due to it being more efficient ?"

First thought was that it is ridiculous and a bit of a joke - but then
again I admit to thinking similarly about the recent ban on iron-core
transformer plugpacks and incandescant lighting (both of which turned
out to be true, and both were hotly debated on this forum).

Have no idea which government body is proposing it or if its even
true.  In any case - I think its too late as these displays have
firmly entrenched themselves into the market in PC and TV.

Anyone here has any info on it ?

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

    Have a look at http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/10/10/2055587.htm

Bob

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

Quoted from the article:
"It would mean all current plasma TVs and many LCDs could be removed
from sale by 2011."

It may also mean there will be some very cheap sets available before the
deadline. :-)

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Affiliate Program:   http://www.dontronics.com/affiliate
Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

"Bob Parker"

** This story from the Herald Sun has less sensationalist bullshit in it.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22562841-661,00.html

.......  Phil

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

Here is the follow-up!!!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/10/11/2056313.htm

LCD screens draw far less wattage than the equivalent size CRT types. Both
the Plasma and LCD TV sets are less harmful to the environment when disposed
of.  This type of TV set will outlast most of the CRT sets that were made.

--

JANA
_____

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

"JANA"

  **  Knewed it was just another media "beat up".

 **  With computer monitors, that is so as CRT monitors are not the same as
TV sets.

With TV sets,  similar size LCD and CRT models usually have similar wattage
consumption figures.

 **  Doubt there is much in it.

  ** Doubt there is much in it.

.......  Phil

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

I have a 19 inch Viewsonic monitor.  It is rated at 165 Watts for the power
consumption.

I also have a 20 inch LCD monitor.  It is rated at 55 Watts for the power
consumption.

The digital power monitor in the UPS that is running the monitor showed that
the label on the back side of the monitor is fairly accurate to the power
rating that it indicates.

The end result is that it is a NO-Brainer to see which type of monitor is
best for power conservation.

As for the personal health of the person using the monitor, the LCD monitor
does not radiate high levels of electromagnetic radiation as what the CRT
monitor does. The LCD monitors does not radiate any X-Ray radiation which
all Cathode Ray Tubes put out, and there is no UV radiation which over the
long term can cause cataracts.

When the CRT monitor is disposed of, there are rare earth phosphors in the
CRT that are very bad for the environment. There is also a high amount of
lead in the glass to shield the user from the X-Ray radiation that the
electron beams puts out. The LCD monitor life is about two times of a CRT
monitor.

--

JANA
_____

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

"JANA"

**  The new energy regulations are for TV sets.

**  The new energy regulations are for TV sets.

**  The new energy regulations are for TV sets.

 **  Did you read my post at all ??

 Top posters usually don't read the post they rudely write on top of.

** Shame about the similar phosphors in the light inside an LCD screen.

     And all fluoro tubes.

......  Phil

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

LCD screens do not use phosphors.  They use filters. Plasma screens use
phosphors.

--

JANA
_____

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

Where does the light come from that they filter?

Phosphors.

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

No. Not phosphors. LEDS ( well actually transistors if you want to split
hairs).

geoff

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

     Thanks for telling me the light source is LEDs/transistors. All the
time I thought there were compact fluorescent lamps (containing mercury
and phosphors) behind the LCD panel.

Bob

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

"Bob Parker"

 **  Wot  -   those evil little buggers are hiding everywhere  !!

........  Phil  ;-)

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

I doubt very much they use LEDs - none of the panels I've seen inside use
them - they use cold-cathode fluoros. LEDs don't have the light output nor
colour purity of fluoros - yet.

Anyway, don't white LEDs use phosphors to produce their "white" light?

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

Do cathode ray TVs have white pixels?

Dorf

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

"Dorfus Dippintush"

**  Monochrome ( ie  B&W) ones do  -   dickhead.

 But electron beam excited phosphors are different compositions from UV ( ie
fluor) or blue light excited ones.

.......  Phil

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

   Yeah - black and white ones do.

Bob

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

White LEDs normally consist of a blue LED with a yellow phosphor - except
for RGB LEDs.

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

Yes, you are right.  Brain-fart on my part !

Mind you, phosphors if they are not in a screen still exist somewhere
else....

geoff

Re: Proposed ban on LCD and Plasma screens ?

    I meant cold cathode fluorescent lamps, obviously. I was in a hurry....

Bob

Site Timeline