Projector lamp error

Hi, I have a Sony video projector VPL-HS1 that is behaving badly.
After powering up it works for about 30 seconds.
Then the lamp is switched off, the yellow Lamp/Cover goes on and the green power
LED blinks; first fast, then slower and finally the thing switches to standby.

I did clean the air filter.

The fans come on first and then even slow down a bit.

There are tiny cracks in the outer lamp glass near the small end. Yet the small
bulb inside is intact and it works with normal brightness.

I know next to nothing about video projectors.
It doesn't make sense to me to indicate lamp error when it actually works. Are
there parameters monitored that I am not aware off? Or could just the monitoring
circuitry be broken?

Cheers

Tony

Re: Projector lamp error

**No. Replace the lamp. Modern projectors are designed with various sensors,
which measure lamp life. The lamp may still work (a bit), but not to
sufficient capacity to provide optimum picture.

Replace the lamp. It's buggered.

It's also going to be expensive.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Projector lamp error

It's often better value for money to replace the projector.

The lamps have a weird negative resistance characteristic
and a complex startup sequence - this one has failed to
meet some minimum criterion during startup. It's busted,
even though it might seem to be trying, as Trevor says.

Clifford Heath.

Re: Projector lamp error

Thanks. I guess I will rather retire the projector then.
I hate it when the firmware forces you to go and buy new stuff.
(unless there would be a safety issue)

I had a Canon printer once tat did the same thing. Ink was a little low and it
refused to run, not even just black and white.

Tony

Re: Projector lamp error

     They always get you with the consumables. Last time I checked, it
was cheaper to buy a new HP 1020 laser printer than to buy a new toner
cartridge for it.

Bob

Re: Projector lamp error

It's easy to criticize like that, but these globes are essentially
made to contain an electric arc - plasma - in a small tube. I find
it wonderful that it can be done at all, quite frankly. They have
a limited life, and I'm sure if they could be made more cheaply or
to last longer, it'd happen - the manufacturer would corner the
market.

Clifford Heath.

Re: Projector lamp error

    Who's criticising? I was just pointing out the absurdity of the
price of a spare part compared to the price of the complete unit.

Bob Parker

Re: Projector lamp error
Bob Parker a ecrit

it's bubble hi ?

Re: Projector lamp error

There are products where the consumables are subsidizing the actual main
product. I used to work with dialysis machines and it certainly was the
case there. It looks like it is the case with ink and printers. I have
no idea what's the case with projector lamps.

I am not even saying it's wrong to do business this way. In the end the
market is supplied with goods that work.

What I don't like is when, under the pretense of maintaining quality,
any further use is blocked as soon as a consumable gets near the end of
it's life, which actually forces you to replace it just a bit earlier
and doesn't leave any room for your own decision (as I mentioned before,
I don't know if worn lamps could be a threat to any circuits driving it
or even a fire danger).

I was actually wondering if there are any override codes, maybe used for
testing in the factory or in service.

Tony

Re: Projector lamp error

**Projector lamps are slightly different, in that there is potential for
significant damage (to the rest of the equipment) if the lamp is used beyond
it's practical life. What usually occurs is that the projector operates
briefly, so the user can see that there is a problem and what that problem
is. The projector then shuts itself down.

The cost issue is a separate one. Manufacturers all have their own,
specific, presumably registered, designs. They probably do so, in order to
sell lamps at the highest possible price and to prevent copies being
released to the (legal) market. It seems they use the same marketing model
that car manufacturers have been using for many years.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Projector lamp error

I just got a Brother HL-2140. Good value at $88 (actually $68 after
$20 cashback). I might replace the toner when I have to - it looks
like you can get them for $55 - $60 if you shop around.

I doubt I will replace the drum though (life supposed to be 12K - to
15K pages AFAIK). The cheapest I have seen those is around $160. I saw
them at Officeworks, where I got the printer, for $220. Is that crazy
or what?

Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: Projector lamp error

Crazy that they even bother to stock them.

MrT.

Re: Projector lamp error

But in the corporate world it is easy to buy consumables (printer
cartridges), but a real pain to try and get approval for capital
expenditure (a new printer). Cost doesn't come into it.
--
Bob Small

Re: Projector lamp error

This behaviour and these printers aren't targeted at the corporate
world. Proper business devices have much more sensible pricing
models, and any corporate IT person who bought the scams should
get sacked.

Re: Projector lamp error

True, although in some cases it's just as easy to buy a new printer on petty
cash as to buy new cartridges when the cost is low enough.
So I'd find it a lot quicker to buy a new printer under $100, than wait for
an order for a $200 toner cartridge.
Then there is the old trick of getting a receipt stating "toner cartridge"
when buying a new printer anyway. Not many shops will go along with that now
though, since most have computerised stock accounting (and Officeworks
surely do)

But in the end I guess the simple reason is that Officeworks sell enough to
cover any extra stocking issues, by making ~80% or 90% profit on each one
:-)

MrT.

Re: Projector lamp error

Just like many other printers, they all do it. But they do suck you in by
providing less toner with the new printers, so it's not as clear cut as it
seems.
However always having a new printer and warranty usually makes up for it,
until you realise just how much it is costing per print in either case.

MrT.

Re: Projector lamp error

**I'm staring at my ancient HP LaserJet 5MP. It's around 12 years old and
the damned thing simply refuses to break down. It still prints with exactly
the same quality that it did the day I purchased it. I've been tempted to
buy a new (laser) printer, but I can't bring myself to chuck a product out
that performs it's function perfectly (albeit slowly, compared to modern
printers - it's a mighty 6 pages per minute!). I've had one fault with the
unit. Inside the warranty period and after I'd printed around 4,000 pages,
it developed a fault, which caused it to print a smudged line down one side
of the page. I deduced that it was a faulty drum. HP replaced the entire
cartridge with a brand new one, despite the fact that the toner cartridge
was likely running on 'fumes'. I've purchased and thrown out at least 4 ink
jet printers (for printing photos and on disks) in the time I've owned the
5MP. I hate ink jets, but they sure print nice photos. Hopeless for text
(the ink still runs and bleeds) though.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Projector lamp error
put finger to keyboard and composed:

The OP at this thread has a service manual for your projector:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/dlp-lcd-d-ila-projectors/761242-sony-projector-vpl-hs1-bulb-problems.html

Hopefully his email address is still the same.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Projector lamp error
http://www.avforums.com/forums/dlp-lcd-d-ila-projectors/761242-sony-projector-vpl-hs1-bulb-problems.html

Thanks, I'll try that.
He took a long time the first time though:-)

Tony

Site Timeline