Project ideas?

Hi, I need some ideas about a home automation system! In two weeks time in need to submit a project proposal. I need to know if it is possible to develop a home automation system that is controlled directly from a pc. I intend to control lights, get a live feed from a camera and also if it is possible to control an air condition. Can someone please help me with some ideas and suggestions?

Reply to
clayton.curmi

Check out X10 - here's an Aussie link which may give some ideas:

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Someone has already mentioned X10 whiich is the $$$$$ solution.

One of the AUS electronic project magazines has all the various bits you need to add onto a computer to make this an easy matter.

And if you have a broadband connection, you could also set it up for ssh to remotely check on stuff.

Live camera feeds are either video server, or apache web page server and are no brainers (well, series stills unless you have high bandwidth upstream.

I know linux is awash with cam monitoring programs that responds to % diff and activate the camera, plus store images. It is trivial to set up a hard disk and store the last months images at every 5 sec or something.

Hint, googling would have got you started on this.

Reply to
Terry Collins