Project idea.

How's this for a project for someone clever. A picaxe with a GPS and transmitter that fit's into onto a dog collar which transmits its position back to a reciever, so when your dog runs off you can find it easily. Could also be used with kids in shopping centers or attach it to cars or motorbikes to find them if they're stolen (depending on the range of the device), Could even work through the mobile phone service maybe.

Anyone?

Reply to
Friday

Commercial mobile phones with gps are available now - great idea and parents feel more secure knowing exactly where their kids are

David

Friday wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

OK you can receive GPS locations.

How will you transmit the coordinates back to base?

If you are out side GSM mobile phone range - how will you transmit... if your little doggy runs off in the country side.

How far will the transmit power need to go (distance)?

Hw often will you transmit the coordinates?

How long do you want the battery to last? (range, Tx power, Tx duty cycle and battery capacity will effect the battery life)

What is your target price for such a device?

It's very easy to have an idea ... but much harder to put in to practice.... with all the practical factors.

JG

"quietguy" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVE-TO-REPLYconfidential-counselling.com...

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

Nah, he sniffs the tailpipes of cars and chases other dog's butts. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Isn't Phil Allison Crazy Frog's chum?

Reply to
ian field

plonk.

Reply to
The Real Andy

plonk

Reply to
The Real Andy

plonk Pronunciation (plngk)

n. Chiefly British Slang

Cheap or inferior wine.

Reply to
Bob Parker

Whoopee. Who gives a crap?

-- Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to prove it. Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell Central Florida

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No results for "plonker" though - so The Real Andy must not exist!

Reply to
ian field

Who cares if it exists?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I think you will find

prodides a vastly superior reference.

plonk

(Possibly influenced by British slang "plonk" for cheap booze, or "plonker" for someone behaving stupidly; usually written "*plonk*") The sound a newbie makes as he falls to the bottom of a kill file. While this term originated in the Usenet newsgroup news:talk.bizarre, by 1994 it was widespread on Usenet and mailing lists as a form of public ridicule.

Another theory is that it is an acronym for "Person with Little Or No Knowledge".

(2002-01-18)

Reply to
The Real Andy

The word "plonker" also occurs in British slang as meaning prick or penis, it is sometimes also used in toddler talk to mean turd.

Reply to
ian field

This is getting educational... which is what newsgroups are supposed to be about. :-)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

"Bob Parker"

** Thought every Aussie knew what "plonk" was !!!

The original ANZACS on their way to the trench slaughter of WW1 would politely ask for a glass of " plonk " at a French tavern - a bad pronunciation of " blanc " = short for " vin blanc " = white wine in French.

It later became the colloquial Aussie name for all form of wine sold by the flagon - like Hock, Reisling, Moselle etc. plus all the fortifieds.

The other common meaning of " plonk " emulates the sound of something falling to the floor.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison