Product Design FAIL!

I couldn't help myself, I just found this so hilarious!
http://www.eevblog.com/2010/06/02/product-design-fail-ideal-multimeter /

(less than 1 minute video for those with short attention spans)

Dave.

Re: Product Design FAIL!

you must have been having a hard time coming up with content this
week.

Re: Product Design FAIL!

hilarious!http://www.eevblog.com/2010/06/02/product-design-fail-ideal-multimeter /

Not as hard as you I suspect.
Show us your content...

Dave.

Re: Product Design FAIL!

www.fourier-series.com

Re: Product Design FAIL!

It would be good if the fold out support didn't collapse, but I wonder
whether it's reasonable to expect to be able to press the buttons
without holding the meter at the same time. If the support didn't
collapse, I imagine the entire meter would move bodily across the table.

Still, it's reminiscent of the design of the Daikin air conditioner
remote control wall mounting bracket I had. It supported the base of the
remote, and the middle, but not the top - which is where the on/off
button is. So you press the button, and the remote falls out of the
bracket. In my case, it fell onto a wooden floor, and the LCD display
cracked.

Daikin did replace it free of charge, after some argument about the design.

Sylvia.

Re: Product Design FAIL!

Of course it's reasonable to expect that!

Dave.

Re: Product Design FAIL!

multimeter/

I agree! A bad design at any price is still a bad design. ;-)

The guy who made that video had previously tested several models
of DMMs. I assume the model in this video is one that got
his attention for being unusually flawed.

I tried the "button push test" with my cheap-but-pretty-good
Mastech meters here, and all three models passed easily.
One of them is listed on Amazon for just $25, and I got
mine as a free gift from an electronic parts supplier.

The "Product Design FAIL" meter reminds me of what people
said about the first (red LED) digital watches of the 1970's:
They were so advanced that they took two hands to operate!

Jay Ts

Re: Product Design FAIL!

Only one "hand" actually. It would be *VERY* difficult to operate when
strapped to your wrist IF it took two HANDS!
I did own one, and it was no great problem to operate IMO. Far easier to
view in the dark than any other watch, but not so great in bright sunshine,
and far too heavy on battery use. And the button tended to wear out quickly
because you had to press it so often, and it wasn't high enough quality for
that.
All in all a short lived fad, but not so much for the reason you give.

MrT.

Re: Product Design FAIL!

  Short lived fad?  You're nuts.  LCDs did not come out until the 70s had
passed.  That makes LED watches and calculators more than a mere fad.
Electronic displays, which is what we are really talking about here, are
STILL going, so there is no fad about it.  D'oh!

Re: Product Design FAIL!

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 05:36:25 -0700, the renowned Archimedes' Lever

http://global.epson.com/company/milestones/08_06lc.pdf

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Product Design FAIL!

"Spehro Pefhany"
 Archimedes' Lever
 "Mr.T"

** The first LCD watch appeared within months of the first LED example and
both types were initially quite expensive.  But that soon changed and LCD
types became very cheap indeed by 1980.

Seems LED watches are making a come back for those who want to own something
different  -  like this affordable BINARY display example:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/6a17 /

....  Phil

Re: Product Design FAIL!

  My first scientific calculator was a Commodore and it used about 650mA
rate with the mantissa full, and about 350mA with it and the memories
blank. Needless to say that it was only used when needed.  Now, with
modern times, folks do not even think about power issues, and solar power
is common.

 We had to use slide rules for a half year before we were allowed to use
a calculator.  The thing I hated most about calculators is having to
learn operational twists between each maker's units.

Re: Product Design FAIL!

And now for something completely different....

Seeing that binary watch gave me an idea, maybe we older folk can finally
get back at all those nasty kids for knowing much more than us about using
the latest technology, but rarely having any idea about how it works.
We'll have them learn to rely on binary clocks for telling the time.
A bit harsh I suppose but at least there'd be much more of an understanding
by the young, of the digital era we are now in and how it works.
Lets face it, the binary system is now much infused in the area of
electronics, software and data storage.
The earlier taught, the better.
So lets roll em' out starting in year one.(OK, maybe a bit later)

Mark Kelepouris

Re: Product Design FAIL!

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 08:43:03 -0400 Spehro Pefhany

Is that why they call him AlwaysWrong? Yep.

Re: Product Design FAIL!

Calcultors yes, watches NO. Most people simply stuck with the mechanical
ones.

Nope, try reading it again, it was claimed a LED *WATCH* needed two hand to
operate. Nothing to do with calculators!

MrT.

Re: Product Design FAIL!

  You try reading it again.  Electronic displays have EVERYTHING to do
with calculators, watches, stereos, etc., etc., etc.

Re: Product Design FAIL!

YOU try reading what I wrote, and to which I responded, again. If you can't
then why waste time posting irrelevant crap?

Electronic displays have *nothing* to do with mechanical watches, the
majority of older stereo's with NO displays at all (or just a mechanical
radio dial) etc. etc.
You really are blabbing on about NOTHING to do with what I responded to, and
for what reason I doubt anyone knows but you.

MrT.

Re: Product Design FAIL!

Oh, AlwaysWrong's reason is obvious.  It's a feeble attempt (all DimBulb can
muster) at moving goal posts.

Re: Product Design FAIL!

can

Yep, that much is pretty obvious, but I was trying not to sink to his level
of personal abuse.

MrT.

Re: Product Design FAIL!

In that case you include what you are actually referring to and NOT what I
wrote, and you DON'T claim I am wrong for something I never said!

Of course, But saying someone is wrong for something they DIDN'T say just
proves YOU are the "retarded twit".

MrT.

Site Timeline