Produce 110V at 60cps

I would like to buy an IBM electric clock from the United States. I understand that the "modern" ones ran directly from the mains. Is there an inexpensive way to produce 110V at 60cps, preferably ready built?

Reply to
David Segall

"David Segall"

** Be more specific - the above is no information at all.
** No.

Most IBM clocks were mechanical with electric self winders.

Likely work from 110 volts and 50 Hz just fine.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I assume you mean an "antique" IBM electric clock?

Simplex acquired the clock side of IBM back in 1958 so it would seem likely that this is what you are referring to. It might be agood idea to find out as much as you can about your proposed purchase prior to doing anything just so you know what type of drive system you need.

Start here

Ross Herbert

The older time clocks ran off a synchronos motor but the later ones had a more sophisticated setup with a battery back-up. I really don't think it'd be worth the effort to make it run on "Australian" power.

Reply to
Friday

"Friday"

** Why tell me that ? Tell the OP.

It is 100% wrong anyhow.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

To be very specific

Thanks Phil. To ensure that I am buying one of these is there an easy way of identifying them?

Reply to
David Segall

Yes.

Thanks Ross but I have already looked there. Compared to IBM's usual standard I found it remarkably unhelpful.

Reply to
David Segall

However, the info given indicates that the clocks were either spring or weight driven. This means that dependence on the mains frequency for a stable time reference is irrelevant. The "electric" part of the clock probably refers to the method of winding the spring or raising the counterweight at certain intervals to maintain the clock running without human involvement.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

"David Segall"

** Wow - what a Pile of Shit !

** No.

Piss off troll.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks for the help. In return, here's the definition of an Internet troll so that you can use it correctly next time.

Reply to
David Segall

"Brenden" <

** Not one with crystal locked frequency and sine wave output.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

David, You can probably pick up a small 12V - 110V AC / 60Hz inverter cheaply on ebay or through an online store, you'll then need a good 12V DC source from a power supply or power supply and battery combination.

A bit messy, but you can get the 110V inverter off the shelf and the 12V power supply off the shelf. The clock will use very little power so you'll just need enough power at 12V to run the inverter.

Regards, Brenden Ede

David Segall wrote:

Reply to
Brenden

Yeah, buy a new clock. It'll be even more inexpensive.

geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Go to a watch/clock maker and have the clock modified to run on the correct frequency. If you are really stuck, I know one in brisbane who could probably do this for you, however you would still need a

110v supply for it.
Reply to
Kr