Produce 110V at 60cps

I would like to buy an IBM electric clock from the United States. I
understand that the "modern" ones ran directly from the mains. Is
there an inexpensive way to produce 110V at 60cps, preferably ready
built?

Re: Produce 110V at 60cps

"David Segall"

 **  Be more specific -   the above is no information at all.

** No.

 Most IBM clocks were mechanical with electric self winders.

 Likely work from 110 volts and 50 Hz just fine.

.......   Phil

Re: Produce 110V at 60cps

The older time clocks ran off a synchronos motor but the later ones had
a more sophisticated setup with a battery back-up. I really don't think
it'd be worth the effort to make it run on "Australian" power.

Re: Produce 110V at 60cps

"Friday"

 ** Why tell me that ?   Tell the OP.

    It is 100% wrong anyhow.

......    Phil

Re: Produce 110V at 60cps

To be very specific
<http://cgi.ebay.ca/VINTAGE-IBM-SCHOOL-CLOCK-TYPE-A3-77-12-MINERAL-GLASS_W0QQitemZ6628621077QQcategoryZ13859QQssPageNameZWD4VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Thanks Phil. To ensure that I am buying one of these is there an easy
way of identifying them?

Re: Produce 110V at 60cps

"David Segall"
<http://cgi.ebay.ca/VINTAGE-IBM-SCHOOL-CLOCK-TYPE-A3-77-12-MINERAL-GLASS_W0QQitemZ6628621077QQcategoryZ13859QQssPageNameZWD4VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

  **  Wow   -   what  a Pile of Shit !

  **  No.

    Piss off troll.

......   Phil

Re: Produce 110V at 60cps

<http://cgi.ebay.ca/VINTAGE-IBM-SCHOOL-CLOCK-TYPE-A3-77-12-MINERAL-GLASS_W0QQitemZ6628621077QQcategoryZ13859QQssPageNameZWD4VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Thanks for the help. In return, here's the definition of an Internet
troll <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll so that you can
use it correctly next time.

Re: Produce 110V at 60cps

I assume you mean an "antique" IBM electric clock?

Simplex acquired the clock side of IBM back in 1958 so it would seem
likely that this is what you are referring to. It might be agood idea
to find out as much as you can about your proposed purchase prior to
doing anything just so you know what type of drive system you need.

Start here http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/cc/cc_room.html

Re: Produce 110V at 60cps

Yes.
Thanks Ross but I have already looked there. Compared to IBM's usual
standard I found it remarkably unhelpful.

Re: Produce 110V at 60cps

However, the info given indicates that the clocks were either spring
or weight driven. This means that dependence on the mains frequency
for a stable time reference is irrelevant. The "electric" part of the
clock probably refers to the method of winding the spring or raising
the counterweight at certain intervals to maintain the clock running
without human involvement.

Re: Produce 110V at 60cps

David,
      You can probably pick up a small 12V - 110V AC / 60Hz inverter
cheaply on ebay or through an online store, you'll then need a good 12V
DC source from a power supply or power supply and battery combination.

A bit messy, but you can get the 110V inverter off the shelf and the 12V
  power supply off the shelf. The clock will use very little power so
you'll just need enough power at 12V to run the inverter.

Regards,
         Brenden Ede

Re: Produce 110V at 60cps

"Brenden" <

 **  Not one with crystal locked frequency and sine wave output.

Re: Produce 110V at 60cps

Yeah, buy a new clock. It'll be even more inexpensive.

geoff

Re: Produce 110V at 60cps

Go to a watch/clock maker and have the clock modified to run on the
correct frequency.  If you are really stuck, I know one in brisbane
who could probably do this for you, however you would still need a
110v supply for it.

Site Timeline