problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO - Page 2

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

    There's something seriously wrong with the trace width and
astigmatism on yours. Assuming that you don't go for a refund, when you
get a replacement unit, follow the instructions for setting up the probe
compensation so you get a nice looking square wave.

Cheers
Bob

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

Thanks Bob, I just swapped it out for a fresh unit and it now works fine.

Musta copped a beating in the post I guess.

Thanks again for your help

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

"Simple Simon"

 **  ROTFLMAO   !!

 So  " Simon The Congenital Fuckwit  Simpleton "  lives right near a DSE
store  -    but still chose to buy himself a fragile CRO by mail order
...... ????????

........   Phil

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

How many hands does it go through before it gets to the DSE store?
Plenty I bet, one extra leg ain't much on top of that.

Some poeple don't have the time to pop into a DSE store, could easily
waste an hour of your time, and to some people that's valuable. Often
easier and cheaper to get something posted.

Dave :)

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

"David L. Jones Total Wanker "

**  None involving Australia Post.

     None involving individual items.

 **  Not when that extra leg involves Australia Post and the item is
fragile.

**  What hypothetical crapology.

    The Jones Moron excels in this art.

 **  Note when you are near a store, the item is in stock and is fragile.

      FUCKWIT    !!!

........   Phil

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

I've sent plenty of fragile items through Aust Post no problems at all,
including CRO's. If it's an inadequate packing issue then that's
another matter entirely.

Forget to take your meds again Phil?
Perhaps you should consider expanding your Toaster & Valve amp repair
business to include the multitude of DSE CRO's that will be busted by
Aust Post? A small ad in SC might work wonders.

Dave :)

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

    Well Dave, even Aussie Post said the Q1803 they smashed the CRT of
was packed adequately, then claimed it was already damaged when it was
posted. You can see their letter on my website.

Cheers
Bob

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

It may certainly well have been, do you know for sure it was working
before DSE sent it?
What was the packing like in the orginal CRO box?
The photo to me shows a rather small original box, and not what I would
call teriffic packaging outside it.

I recon you simply ran out of luck Bob, or perhaps this scope
construction has a particular weak point, shock or vibration wise?. As
I have said before I have shipped many fragile items including CROs by
Australia Post without any problem what so ever. But then again I am
*really* paranoid about packing.

Having recently run a great deal of shock and vibration repsonse tests
on packaging material for delicate electronics, I'm convinced more than
ever that packaging is the key. Aust Post are no worse than the likes
of other courier companies in my experience.

Dave :)

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

     Of course I can't say for certain that it wasn't already damaged,
because I wasn't there. If I was there, I'd have brought it home in my
car and none of this would have happened. But...

    (1) The bloke who sent it me has been a mate for longer than you've
been alive. He'd never do anything like that. He's willing to sign a
Statutory Declaration that the CRO was working and was not damaged in
any way before he posted it.

    (2) The side the CRT was shattered on was facing the top of the
case. To me it looked like that's the side the impact was on.

    (3) There was absolutely no evidence that the CRO's metal case had
impacted onto anything while outside its carton. No dents, deformation
or anything, top or bottom (or anywhere else).

    Standard moulded styrofoam, more than adequate to protect against
*reasonable* transportation shocks, I'd have thought.

    In the light of what happened, obviously the packing wasn't
sufficient to protect against what it was subjected to. The sender
wasn't anticipating the kind of rough handling the carton received.

    Yep, I sure ran out of luck. As you can see in the photos, the CRT
has protective rubber mounting rings around it. Maybe the impact
"waveform" which broke it was right at the glass's resonant frequency?

    After this, I'm going to be too!! I'll only use Aust Post as an
absolute last resort in future. I saw a posting on a newsgroup from
someone who packed up some china plates really carefully, with each one
wrapped in cloth.
    After Australia Post had transported them, most of the plates were
broken. That person was as amazed as I was, at AP's ability to break
things.
    I bet you didn't write "Fragile" on anything you sent, which seems
to be an invitation to them to drop the article from as high above the
floor as possible.

 > Aust Post are no worse than the likes

    What annoys me more than the damage is the many-weeks-long
beaurocratic run-around I got afterwards, and Aust Post's attitude of
"No care and no responsibility taken".
    As a last resort, a couple of months ago I wrote to AP's NSW Manager
about all this, as their website suggests. Never got a reply. Maybe the
letter got broken in transit? :-)

Bob

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

If you try to post anything that rattles (I did that once) Aussie post
have you sign a special ticket that basically says it was laready like that.

DSE NZ don't use NZ post for shipping their scopes, IIRC they use DX
or possibly UPS.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

"Bob Parker" wrote

    What annoys me more than the damage is the many-weeks-long
beaurocratic run-around I got afterwards, and Aust Post's attitude of
"No care and no responsibility taken".
    As a last resort, a couple of months ago I wrote to AP's NSW Manager
about all this, as their website suggests. Never got a reply. Maybe the
letter got broken in transit? :-)

Bob

***Er,why didn't you take out the $2.50 option and register the thing for an
agreed value?

Brian g.

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

    Because this was sent by Registered Post which supposedly includes
insurance of $100.

Bob

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

"Brian Goldsmith."

** Would make no difference.

To claim on the insurance, the item must either become lost in the post or
suffer visible damage though apparently appropriately packed.

......   Phil

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

    Yep. It doesn't matter if they smashed a carton full of
carefully-packed china or the CRT in an oscilloscope by dropping the box
flat onto the floor from 6 metres up in the air, if there's no obvious
external damage then clearly the contents were already smashed when
posted and you're making a false claim. That's their attitude anyway.

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

Hit the nail on the head. Wish I had hours to troll newsgroups :)

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

"Simple Simon the Congenital MORON "

**   Simon is an absolute fuckwit.

  Nails driven into his pointy head cause no pain.

** You have just convincingly proved that you do  -  fuckwit.

    Piss off to hell   !!

......... Phil

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

    No worries. We'll never know exactly what the problem was.

    Q1803s don't work at all if they get thrown around violently enough.
See http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/Q1803/austpost.htm if you
haven't already.

Cheers
Bob

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

nah adjust on a square wave,  even a badly malajusted probe will produce a
perfect sine on the display if you feed one in at the tip. so testing with a
sine is pointless.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

Look in the instructions for the bit on adjusting the compensation...
there's a small screw near the plug end of the probe cable.
(it's on page 7, if you've lost it you can download a pdf from DSE)

The artwork shows vertical lines on the display, in real life there won't be
any because the electron beam is being re-targeted too fast for enough
electrons to hit the part between the upper and lower lines and light it up.

(aside to phil)
The drawings in this manual are the same as the
ones in the "digimess" 10Mhz scope manual on farnell's site,
the schematic is similar to the one DSE sent me too.

Did they send you a bearly readable one, mine looks
like it was a fax that was scanned by a monkey.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

"jasen"

**  Said in a theatrical whisper ???

** DSE emailed me some schems that appear identical to the Caltek and
Digimess ones.

However, the input stage of the vertical amp is not accurately represented
on any of them.

** DSE do actually employ monkeys  -   AFAIK.

    That is just an ugly rumour.

......   Phil

Site Timeline